The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Yes, Stay with the virtuoso on the wood/nitro.
    The Swissvax will keep the gold perfect, for years and years.
    Beautiful guitar. Perfection!
    Joe D
    While we're on the subject, what do you recommend for fretboard conditioning?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2-5Guy
    While we're on the subject, what do you recommend for fretboard conditioning?
    My favorite is Gerlitz Guitar Honey.

User Info Menu

For fretboards, I use plain mineral oil. The easiest version to find is baby oil, which also contains fragrance. If you don't like the smell, plain mineral oil works. That's the sole ingredient listed for Fast-Fret. If you use Fast-Fret regularly, enough mineral oil should be getting into the fretboard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    My favorite is Gerlitz Guitar Honey.
    Actually, that's what I use but I didn't really know if it was "advisable" or not. I was also using the Gerlitz No. 1 wax for wood and plated hardware.

User Info Menu

The virtuoso is safe and GREAT for the nitro. It is a synthetic sealant and will protect the finish better than anything.
    Wintermoon is 100% correct. The virtuoso will little by little, erode the gold plating.
    On the gold, I’ve been using Swissvax Onyx for years. It is 100% free of any abrasive cleaners or chemicals that can ruin your plating. Remember, Carnuba by nature is an extremely hard wax. When in its natural state, it would be the LAST thing you’d want to rub on your guitar. Swissvax uses a proprietary organic oil that thins the Carnuba so it can be applied. Zymol (another wax company) uses banana and coconut montains that thin the Carnuba. In both cases, Once that evaporates, you use a fresh microfiber towel to removes the residue and smooths out the Carnuba. That leaves a micro thin layer that dries and protects the gold from oxidation. It also creates a barrier between the gold and body oils.
    Zymol, tends to stay a bit “grainy” and I don’t trust it on the gold.
    However, I’ve been using Swissvax on the gold for years on all my babies. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.
    Joe D
    All from someone with experience who knows a thing or two about SHINE!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    I’ve been using Gibson Pump Polish for years. Works great and it’s safe for nitro.
    When I was a youngster I tried Gibson and Martin polishes on my Johnny Smith. They whited/clouded certain areas in the finish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    When I was a youngster I tried Gibson and Martin polishes on my Johnny Smith. They whited/clouded certain areas in the finish.

Some people still swear by Martin polish but I never understood why. It seems to be mainly water.

User Info Menu

What is a good choice for cleaning a guitar with a satin nitro finish?

Does polish even make sense on a satin finish?

Is a microfiber cloth safe for this finish?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    I was in his shop in Huntington Station when he whipped out the Lemon Pledge. My jaw dropped, but he sweared by it...I don't think I was dreaming...but it was a long time ago...
    Growing up una casa italiana, my Grand Mother used Pledge on EVERYTHING!!
    She used it on the plastic slip covers that were on the Gold velvet couch they had. My father said she used it on the couch so people wouldn't sit on it too long.. We would just slide off! Going to Nonnas was like going to a carnival. We had the rides (the slippery couch) and the Pizza fritta after!!
    JD

User Info Menu

Growing up una casa italiana, my Grand Mother used Pledge on EVERYTHING!!
    She used it on the plastic slip covers that were on the Gold velvet couch they had. My father said she used it on the couch so people wouldn't sit on it too long.. We would just slide off! Going to Nonnas was like going to a carnival. We had the rides (the slippery couch) and the Pizza fritta after!!
    JD
    So, it's the Windex of guitars..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2-5Guy
    Thank you.
    I don't see any visible finish checking at all.

I've got a boatload of Sadowsky Every Day Polish that I get every time I order one of his guitars and I think that would be fine to use as a wipe down after each use. Yes? No?
    I would imagine that it would be fine. Despite being called "every day", I wouldn't use it that often, it may have some fine abrasives in it, you don't want to overdo it, I only use it when Im changing strings, and even then just a dab on a cloth (if you can find 100% pure cotton diapers they are great!). Or if the back of the neck is getting greasy, I don't like that so much. Besides vintage guitars are supposed to get a bit of a patina to them. IMHO. Oh, and make sure that your cleaning cloths are 100% clean and have no particles in them that can scratch.

Plus Sadowsky says it removes "beer spray", that would come in handy in some of the bars I've played!

User Info Menu

rennaissance wax - they use it in museums apparently to protect - well everything

pity you couldn't find an L5 with half decent woods.....