The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

So, I don't have the cash for either... but if one had money to spend, which would you prefer... The ES350 is advertised at $9,000. I assume L5CTs (if they can be found) sell for about the same.

I tend to prefer the ES350N, though my daughter likes the sunburst better.

1950 ES350N or 2013 L5CT
    Would you rather... '50 ES350N or newer L5CT?-screen-shot-2022-11-22-9-42-22-am-png

Would you rather... '50 ES350N or newer L5CT?-screen-shot-2022-11-22-9-41-38-am-png

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The views of daughters always win…in my house at least. I’d be happy with either.

User Info Menu

Just my opinion. I’d take the 350 all day long over the L-5. In fact, I did just that about a year ago.

Where is the 350 listed?

Quote Originally Posted by telephone
    Just my opinion. I’d take the 350 all day long over the L-5. In fact, I did just that about a year ago.

Where is the 350 listed?
    Gruhn’s Guitars. I recently traded some guitars neither my daughter nor I played much and a ton of cash for a ‘39 L5N from Gruhn’s so I’m hoping to stop by sometime and play the ES 350. I imagine the guitar is “upstairs” at Gruhn’s though I could be wrong.

User Info Menu

Difficult to choose. Depends on what you are going to use it for..They are very different animals, so I believe. Looks like the 350 still has the small frets on what could be a Brazilian rosewood board. I had a 50s L4 with that kind of fretboard. Played and sounded great, but didnt work for me in a bigband, it was just to prone to feedback. I have a L5CT Hutch though and some other stuff. The CT is very comfortable to play when sitting down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hotpepper01
    Difficult to choose. Depends on what you are going to use it for..They are very different animals, so I believe. Looks like the 350 still has the small frets on what could be a Brazilian rosewood board. I had a 50s L4 with that kind of fretboard. Played and sounded great, but didnt work for me in a bigband, it was just to prone to feedback. I have a L5CT Hutch though and some other stuff. The CT is very comfortable to play when sitting down.
    Which would weigh less ?

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by hotpepper01
    Difficult to choose. Depends on what you are going to use it for...
    Any guitar for me is just to have… just a guy who likes to play around at home on nice guitars.

User Info Menu

Depends on the use case. If it's something to play quietly at home I bet the 350 is more rewarding. For gigs, the CT might be more practical.

User Info Menu

In the abstract, I'd be more interested in the L5CT. 17" bout + 3 1/2" depth is a bit too much more me, and I already have a laminated top guitar. I've played L5 CES's, Studios, and Wes Mo's and really love the sound (though not the size), and it would be cool to have that i a more comfortable form factor. But I'd have to try both to be sure (I've only heard recordings of a 350, but love what I've heard).

User Info Menu

Super difficult decision! There are different pros and cons to both.

User Info Menu

The 70s/80's 350T kinda bridges the gap between the two. Thinner body, lamin top, regular scale, buckers. I think DutchB used one for a while.

User Info Menu

Es-350 without a doubt for me. The most classic of classic jazz guitar sounds IMHO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    The 70s/80's 350T kinda bridges the gap between the two. Thinner body, lamin top, regular scale, buckers. I think DutchB used one for a while.

Speaking of Dutch, he hasn't been around of late. I hope he's ok.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Speaking of Dutch, he hasn't been around of late. I hope he's ok.
    He decided to leave the forum for various reasons. He still posts videos regularly on his youtube channel (most recently on his ES350) so as far as I know, he’s ok.

So, I went and played the ES350…
    Gorgeous finish, fantastic neck (for what I like)…

Unfortunately, the guitar did not “wow” me at $9,000. It could be I am more into the acoustic tone and feel of my L5. Also, the tiny strings (10s perhaps?) were the wrong strings for that guitar.

I did play a wonder Guild Artist at Gruhn’s All in all a good guitar day.

User Info Menu

Not difficult for me the newer L-5CT. Much easier to manage and no 60 cycle hum!