The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I sold most of my amps, but I have a couple of the older Buscarino unpowered cabs- speakers. I used to use them with a a Quilter and 1st Generation Henriksen amp heads, but I got rid of those.

Since I still have the two unpowered Buscarino cabs, can they would with something really small beyond the amp heads? Like those amps that are almost pedal like, a pre-amp?

Trying to find a use for these Buscarino cabs, they’re still pretty good. Thanks for any recommendations.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Unpowered cabinets are just speakers. Anything that will drive a speaker directly should work with them. It would need to be a power amp of some kind, with or without a preamp in front of it. There are several pedal-sized amps that will drive speakers. If the amp has a Speakon connector, or a 1/4" output, it should do the job.

User Info Menu

The Quilter Superblock US/UK models would work perfectly!

User Info Menu

Most of the pedal sized amps are not clean enough for jazz, they distort early. The Super Blocks are an exception and there are some other options- Mark DV products, tiny bass amps and the like. Crate makes a bitty amp head which I've never tried.

User Info Menu

Milkman The Amp?

User Info Menu

For me, the guitar is the interface between me and the music, while the amp is the interface between the music and its intended audience. . So a good guitar is a good guitar under any circumstance, but a 'good' amp depends more upon context.

Are you playing solo, or with other musicians? Drums? What type/size audience will you be playing for? Travel/portability concerns or is the gear staying in one place? All of this can factor in on what might be the 'right' amp for those cabs

Best wishes for your music,

PK