The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Getting to know this guitar a bit more.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's very balanced and should be great for recording. In particular, I'm hearing the low end being very clear with no boominess.

User Info Menu

How do you like the feel of the body shape? I couldn't get used to it.

User Info Menu

Thanks fep, it doesn't give much volume to the player but it projects surprisingly well out front.

Woody, I actually like the body shape a lot, and the cutaway/14fret neck. Still not completely sold on the string spacing, but im getting more accustomed to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Any guitar sounds good in your hands.

User Info Menu

Checking out this model @ thomann I saw there's also an NCX1 FM which seems to be a "regular" CG with cutaway and UST, with the standard 52mm nut.

User Info Menu

Sounds great, Jeff. A friend of mine has one, and I've tried it briefly. Super nice guitar.

User Info Menu

Anyway, I would check the tuning of the guitar with a good tuner.
    Especially important high positions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Checking out this model @ thomann I saw there's also an NCX1 FM which seems to be a "regular" CG with cutaway and UST, with the standard 52mm nut.
    Definitely on my radar. The problem now is my brain has decided I love the body shape and depth, neck depth, 14 fret join and upper fret access, etc...

I'll give it a bit more time...if I decided to keep this guitar I'd save a ton of money too.

User Info Menu

Thanks fep, it doesn't give much volume to the player but it projects surprisingly well out front.

Woody, I actually like the body shape a lot, and the cutaway/14fret neck. Still not completely sold on the string spacing, but im getting more accustomed to it.
    Hi Mr B,
    As for the string spacing, I had one a while back. I had to increase the string spacing at the nut. There is a lot of unused space left and right of the E’s. Once I did that, it was a great guitar.
    Nice guitar. Have fun.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Hi Mr B,
    As for the string spacing, I had one a while back. I had to increase the string spacing at the nut. There is a lot of unused space left and right of the E’s. Once I did that, it was a great guitar.
    Nice guitar. Have fun.

Joe D
    I have Yamaha NTX 3. In my opinion, the problem with string spacing is not at the nut but at the bridge. "E" to "e" distance at the bridge is 53 mm only (10,6 mm string spacing), so I believe that drilling a new bridge holes at slightly wider distance (11,0 mm or 11,2 mm depending on preference) would solve the problem and will make this beautiful guitar even better.

User Info Menu

The problem now is my brain has decided I love the body shape and depth, neck depth, 14 fret join and upper fret access, etc...
    It should be possible to find a classical guitar with cutaway in a shop within your action radius, to see if playing one like those doesn't feel like coming home.

12 and 14 fretters have a different sound; if you are looking for the typical darkish (if not boomy) CG sound you'd probably have to go with a 12 fretter (and maybe even a cedar top). Did you check the AGF ad about the Breedlove?

User Info Menu

Great playing!

Maybe more with nylon/fingers than steel/pick the player's touch really brings out the quality of the instrument.

Sounds fine to me, but have a feeling you could make a cigar box instrument sing.

User Info Menu

Thank you!

Yeah, I'm enjoying this guitar more and more. Going to do a rehearsal with it today, that will probably tell me if I'm keeping it or shopping further.

User Info Menu

I have the discontinued NTX700 and still play it a lot. I had the string spacing widened at the nut and am glad I did. Here’s some great info on NTX string spacing modification. It hasn’t been updated for the NTX1, but might still be helpful.

Yamaha NTX and NCX ranges of guitar – Neck widths and String Spacing – Classical Guitars Plus

If you keep it, try D’Addario composite strings. Extra-hard tension (EJ44C) seems more familiar to me as primarily a steel-string player. The composite material lasts much longer and holds intonation much better than nylon.

https://www.daddario.com/products/gu...-hard-tension/

The NTX700, 900, 1200 instruments had a great pickup/preamp system. The NTX1 has a different system, an under-saddle piezo. The NTX3 and NTX5 have an upgraded pickup system mixing piezos & internal mic. Were you able to try either of those?
    Last edited by KirkP; 11-20-2022 at 03:21 PM.

User Info Menu

So yes, I did rehearsal with it and I think this guitar will suit my needs nicely.

Somewhere down the road I'd like to try a NTX3, maybe as an upgrade in the future.

I was also considering extra hard tension strings...I figured if the strings had less "play," it might make them feel like they weren't bumping into each other on a quickly/sloppily grabbed chord.

But my comfort level with the guitar as-is has come up a lot in the last 2 weeks.

I'll save any nut modifications until at least I pay for it!