The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 121

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Still, it's a great sounding amp and perhaps the only SS amp on the market that really has a tube amp vibe to it...

Jack, have you tried the henriksen with light/transparent OD? I'm getting a really nice tube-like clean tone with the pedal I mentioned above.

I had a revelatory moment just yesterday while messing with where I put my OD in the signal path. The conventional wisdom says to put OD before the preamp, not in the fx loop. However, I'm just using the OD to get some tube-like character, not full blown distortion. I tested it out in the loop and man it was like a different amp. It's still clean but it has more harmonic richness and it compresses/saturates just a bit when you dig in. It also has a lot more clarity.

Here's a sound clip. First half is just the Blu, the second half is the Blu with the OD pedal engaged (set to very little drive) in the FX loop. I'll have to record a longer clip when I have time. The second half does sound a little bright, but it's easy to dial that out. Dialing the "air" into the henriksen is a lot harder.

FYI I didn't have such good results with all my pedals, some of them really need to be before the preamp. This one in particular has become my favorite because of what it does to the signal.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    The Blu 6 is supposed to be in in 3-4 weeks. Peter suggested I go ahead and and wait till then and save the $300. I don't need a 2 channel amp, is there any sound difference really and not sure exactly what 2 channels even means as such. I know much about guitars but little about amps. Does it mean you can plug 2 guitars into one amp?
    If you do not need a second channel (I like having the second channel for announcements through a microphone at gigs or having the flexibility to have a "sitting in" musician plug in to the second channel) and you do not need the bright switch or extra volume/gain feature, save the $300. You also save a pound of extra weight, and the tone between the Bud and Blu sounds the same to my ear (I have both).

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Jack, have you tried the henriksen with light/transparent OD? I'm getting a really nice tube-like clean tone with the pedal I mentioned above.

I had a revelatory moment just yesterday while messing with where I put my OD in the signal path. The conventional wisdom says to put OD before the preamp, not in the fx loop. However, I'm just using the OD to get some tube-like character, not full blown distortion. I tested it out in the loop and man it was like a different amp. It's still clean but it has more harmonic richness and it compresses/saturates just a bit when you dig in. It also has a lot more clarity.

Here's a sound clip. First half is just the Blu, the second half is the Blu with the OD pedal engaged (set to very little drive) in the FX loop. I'll have to record a longer clip when I have time. The second half does sound a little bright, but it's easy to dial that out. Dialing the "air" into the henriksen is a lot harder.

FYI I didn't have such good results with all my pedals, some of them really need to be before the preamp. This one in particular has become my favorite because of what it does to the signal.
    Sounds nice, i have tried it with overdrive but in a different way than most. I have run my helix LT and Helix Stomp into it using the zendrive in the helix as well as delay, chorus, reverb. It sounds amazing. The spring reverb in the helix is really good and along with the helix fender amp model, it really sounds like I'm playing through a princeton reverb except about 20x as loud.

I currently don't have any pedals as I sold them all when I switched to the modeler. One pedal I'd consider though is the Gladio SC which is by far the best dumble amp pedal I've ever heard. Blows way any overdrives in the fractal or helix.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    If you do not need a second channel (I like having the second channel for announcements through a microphone at gigs or having the flexibility to have a "sitting in" musician plug in to the second channel) and you do not need the bright switch or extra volume/gain feature, save the $300. You also save a pound of extra weight, and the tone between the Bud and Blu sounds the same to my ear (I have both).
    The difference is actually only 8.2oz according to henriksen but they round it up to 1lb.

User Info Menu

Superblock doesn't have enough power for a loud group. The bud 6 can compete with a VERY LOUD group. Also, there's something to be said for a self contained combo that doesn't require hooking up speaker cables. I also like having a standard power connector on the bud...
    f you want the SBUS sound in a combo, and you want it louder than the SBUS, the Aviator Cub would be the way to go. Quilter's power ratings seem to be more art than science, but according them, the SBUS is equivalent to 25 tube watts and the AC is equivalent to 50 (so, roughly Deluxe Reverb output vs Pro Reverb output). The gotcha is that it's not a tiny amp like the Blu/Bud or DVM LJ because it has a 12 in it, and it's 22 lbs. I tried one in store (and obnoxiously cranked it up). It's definitely loud, but it's hard to tell outside of a band exactly how loud. I guess they can't make a more powerful SBUS and keep it pedal sized?

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    f you want the SBUS sound in a combo, and you want it louder than the SBUS, the Aviator Cub would be the way to go. Quilter's power ratings seem to be more art than science, but according them, the SBUS is equivalent to 25 tube watts and the AC is equivalent to 50 (so, roughly Deluxe Reverb output vs Pro Reverb output). The gotcha is that it's not a tiny amp like the Blu/Bud or DVM LJ because it has a 12 in it, and it's 22 lbs. I tried one in store (and obnoxiously cranked it up). It's definitely loud, but it's hard to tell outside of a band exactly how loud. I guess they can't make a more powerful SBUS and keep it pedal sized?
    that wouldn't work for me. I've had situations where a pro reverb was not loud enough. Therefore I'd need the aviator mach 3 . However, i'm not crazy about the copperback speaker they use in there. Given that I have a pair of mojotone lite cabs, i'd probably opt for the toneblock 202.

BUT...The henriksen bud 6 is so small and lite, i feel like i don't need a head. It's about the size of a small head so my plan is to put the 1x12 in the trunk and if I need more volume unexpectedly , run that henriksen into that. Otherwise, I suspect that for many gigs, the 6 is fine on its own.

User Info Menu

that wouldn't work for me. I've had situations where a pro reverb was not loud enough. Therefore I'd need the aviator mach 3 . However, i'm not crazy about the copperback speaker they use in there. Given that I have a pair of mojotone lite cabs, i'd probably opt for the toneblock 202.

BUT...The henriksen bud 6 is so small and lite, i feel like i don't need a head. It's about the size of a small head so my plan is to put the 1x12 in the trunk and if I need more volume unexpectedly , run that henriksen into that. Otherwise, I suspect that for many gigs, the 6 is fine on its own.
    Bud 6 + extension cab sounds like the solution. But, damn, too loud for a Pro Reverb is friggin' loud.

User Info Menu

Some time back there were some posts on the Bud/Blu vs the Little Jazz.

Anybody else try that?

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Some time back there were some posts on the Bud/Blu vs the Little Jazz.

Anybody else try that?
    little jazz isn't loud enough for some gigs. It's also a bit mushy when you turn it up

User Info Menu

little jazz isn't loud enough for some gigs. It's also a bit mushy when you turn it up
    Appreciate that.

Within the LJ's volume capability, how does the sound compare?

My reason for asking is that I'm currently using the LJ on a regular gig for which it has been loud enough (storefront restaurant). Since I've heard so much about the Bud/Blu -- and have never had a chance to A/B them, I'm wondering if there's a big difference.

Might be worth stating, in case it's not obvious that these amps are not in the same price range.

Appreciate that.

Within the LJ's volume capability, how does the sound compare?

My reason for asking is that I'm currently using the LJ on a regular gig for which it has been loud enough (storefront restaurant). Since I've heard so much about the Bud/Blu -- and have never had a chance to A/B them, I'm wondering if there's a big difference.

Might be worth stating, in case it's not obvious that these amps are not in the same price range.
    the LJ is noisier and the reverb is not as pleasing but at low volumes I think it's a decent amp. The open back cabinet has a room filling quality , particularly at low volumes. The Bud has a tweeter which makes it nice for acoustic guitar or vocals. There is also a fairly high level of compression built into the preamp of the LJ which I don't care for. But again, it's a nice amp, particularly for the price.

User Info Menu

Sorry if this has been mentioned here or elsewhere but what are the differences between the Blu and Bud lines?
    I'm guessing the amps w bigger speakers are more powerful?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Sorry if this has been mentioned here or elsewhere but what are the differences between the Blu and Bud lines?
    I'm guessing the amps w bigger speakers are more powerful?
    blu doesn't have preamp gain, bright or the 2nd channel. Amp is the same in all their models.
    Last edited by jzucker; 11-14-2022 at 09:23 PM.

User Info Menu

the LJ is noisier and the reverb is not as pleasing but at low volumes I think it's a decent amp. The open back cabinet has a room filling quality , particularly at low volumes. The Bud has a tweeter which makes it nice for acoustic guitar or vocals. There is also a fairly high level of compression built into the preamp of the LJ which I don't care for. But again, it's a nice amp, particularly for the price.
    I haven't noticed the noise. If you mean fan noise, there was a design change which eliminated it. I've never heard the fan in mine.

The reverb is usable in the early part of the knob's rotation. After that, it's an odd effect. I use a little from the LJ but I get most of my reverb from my pedalboard.

I agree that it is less directional than you might expect.

Volume is adequate for most of the gigs I do. Bars, restaurants, parties. Jazz for background mostly, usually quartet or quintet. We try not to stop conversation at the tables. If there's extra room, I may bring a second amp and use both but the LJ works for most. At an outdoor venue with a pretty loud jazz group, I think it was not quite adequate. OTOH I play in a 19 pc big band and it will go as loud as the bandleader wants.

Interesting comment about compression. There's a certain subdued quality I'm tempted to call "dullness" (although a kinder term would be "mellowness") which is either a bug or a feature. It eliminates fizz in the high end, a highly desirable feature to me. But, there's a certain depth or transparency that I've heard from some tube amps that I think it lacks. I get around it by feeding it a little more treble.

Prices: $999 vs.$399.

User Info Menu

bud doesn't have preamp gain, bright or the 2nd channel. Amp is the same in all their models.
    You mean the Blu doesn't have those features, not the bud.

User Info Menu

bud doesn't have preamp gain, bright or the 2nd channel. Amp is the same in all their models.
    Bigger speaker, more power?
    I'm a dyed in the wool vintage Fender amp guy and probably always will be, but curious what all the Henriksen fuss is about other than light weight.

I haven't noticed the noise. If you mean fan noise, there was a design change which eliminated it. I've never heard the fan in mine.

The reverb is usable in the early part of the knob's rotation. After that, it's an odd effect. I use a little from the LJ but I get most of my reverb from my pedalboard.

I agree that it is less directional than you might expect.

Volume is adequate for most of the gigs I do. Bars, restaurants, parties. Jazz for background mostly, usually quartet or quintet. We try not to stop conversation at the tables. If there's extra room, I may bring a second amp and use both but the LJ works for most. At an outdoor venue with a pretty loud jazz group, I think it was not quite adequate. OTOH I play in a 19 pc big band and it will go as loud as the bandleader wants.

Interesting comment about compression. There's a certain subdued quality I'm tempted to call "dullness" (although a kinder term would be "mellowness") which is either a bug or a feature. It eliminates fizz in the high end, a highly desirable feature to me. But, there's a certain depth or transparency that I've heard from some tube amps that I think it lacks. I get around it by feeding it a little more treble.

Prices: $999 vs.$399.
    when you turn the dvmark up on a gig the amp gets very noisy/hissy. It's got a built in compressor/limiter in the circuit. If you listen carefully you can hear it.

Bigger speaker, more power?
    I'm a dyed in the wool vintage Fender amp guy and peobably always will be, but curious what all the Henriksen fuss is about other than light weight.
    No, power and loudness are not the same thing (as you know). All of their amps use the same IcePower300 module. By comparison, much of the competition uses the 200w version. (raezer's edge, duncan, milkman)

The poweramp is exactly the same on all their amps.

User Info Menu

No, power and loudness are not the same thing (as you know). All of their amps use the same IcePower300 module. By comparison, much of the competition uses the 200w version. (raezer's edge, duncan, milkman)

The poweramp is exactly the same on all their amps.
    So only features separate the 2 lines?

So only features separate the 2 lines?
    yep, bright switch, gain control, 2nd channel. Otherwise, all their products have the same preamp and power amp.

User Info Menu

yep, bright switch, gain control, 2nd channel. Otherwise, all their products have the same preamp and power amp.
    Thanks Jack. I played through BF Twins the last 25 yrs in organ trios, but recently switched back to BF Vibrolux Reverbs. What would be your choice for that genre. And can they be used w out micing?

User Info Menu

the LJ is noisier and the reverb is not as pleasing
    Does the Little Jazz (and the Jazz 12) have that same obnoxious metallic reverb as the mini heads?

User Info Menu

I find that my Bud 6 or Blu 6 combined with either my RE Stealth 12ER or my RE Stealth 10ER will do any size gig with a pretty loud band.

Anything that needs a bigger rig than that needs a different guitarist.

Thanks Jack. I played through BF Twins the last 25 yrs in organ trios, but recently switched back to BF Vibrolux Reverbs. What would be your choice for that genre. And can they be used w out micing?
    i think the bud work work for just about any volume level but in an organ trio you'd probably want to use a 10" or 12" version or if you use the 6", you'd want to sit it on top of a 12" open back cab. I find that the bud's bright switch and gain control really comes in handy for getting that bensonesque tone (or at least as much as you can get out of SS).

User Info Menu

For pop/rock stuff with the Bud 6, I use channel 2 with the bright switch on and tweeter off. I front-end it with a TS-9 Tube Screamer for leads. That's all I need.