The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 111

User Info Menu

I saw this the other day and was curious to hear some opinions on this guitar.
    I imagine there would be some strong opinions on the glaring change made to it and
    the effects on the guitar.
    Beautiful finish, though!

Gibson L5 2001 Custom Wes Montgomery wants a new owner! | Reverb

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well it doesn't look bad to me, in fact a pretty clean job, BUT:

1. If it's truly a custom shop build, would they have installed the CC that way?

2. The description says double cutaway, stop-bar tail, color tan.

User Info Menu

I think it's great.
    I want it!
    Maybe paint the dummy pickup ring in black.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson custom L-5 w/CC pickup.......-biltoft-cc-humbucker-ring-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I think it's great.
    I want it!
    Maybe paint the dummy pickup ring in black.
    I actually like the matching ring.

User Info Menu

Man, you can’t try to sell an expensive guitar and just throw down at the bottom of the description that’s it’s modified with a cc pickup. Did the custom shop do that, if not who? What kind of cc pickup?

I don’t really like the seller’s price, resale would be real rough I think.

User Info Menu

This may be Keith Richards' 5 string L-5!

Gibson custom L-5 w/CC pickup.......-5string_l5-jpg

But seriously folks, pictures of an L5 that's missing one string in a sale ad speak volumes about the seller!

User Info Menu

I must agree, that finish is awesome. And I like the wider flame better than super narrow tight flame.

User Info Menu

“This axe is ready for a new virtuoso!”

Well, ok, I guess the prior virtuoso has already reached the very top, musically and got bored.

Maybe we can revitalize them with the “Revolutionary Guitar playing” videos posted recently here and then strangely deleted, lol.

User Info Menu

The cutout in the pickguard is way too big.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    The cutout in the pickguard is way too big.
    Probably because there was a different p.u. on there before.

User Info Menu

Everything is suspicious about that description, and the guitar is a hot mess.

User Info Menu

Probably sounds good but it's really unattractive, the mod is amateur, and the seller seems weird.

User Info Menu

What is wrong with this picture....

1) missing string
    2) pickup mounted off center of the strings
    3) oval hole in cosmetic trim plate too big
    4) destroyed pickguard
    5) counter sunk holes for black screws too big
    6) can't make out the magnets (absent or too small?), does not look like a CC pickup or replica.

Gibson custom L-5 w/CC pickup.......-screen-shot-2022-11-09-8-38-36-pm-png
    Gibson custom L-5 w/CC pickup.......-screen-shot-2022-11-09-8-45-58-pm-png

User Info Menu

I’ve never seen an L5 Wes in teaburst.
    I really love that color.
    But I don’t get how someone can personalize a guitar like that and expect to get top dollar for it. And list it for sale with a string missing. Over $8,000.
    JD

User Info Menu

Total hack job on a fantastic L5. A crime in my eyes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Total hack job on a fantastic L5. A crime in my eyes.
    …if it’s real. I’ve only played a few, but as I recall every label had his name hand printed as two distinct words with both the W and the M clearly capitalized. On this one, it’s one word. I find it hard to believe that anyone in his right mind would do this to a real L5.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    What is wrong with this picture....

1) missing string
    2) pickup mounted off center of the strings
    3) oval hole in cosmetic trim plate too big
    4) destroyed pickguard
    5) counter sunk holes for black screws too big
    6) can't make out the magnets (absent or too small?), does not look like a CC pickup or replica.

Gibson custom L-5 w/CC pickup.......-screen-shot-2022-11-09-8-38-36-pm-png
    Gibson custom L-5 w/CC pickup.......-screen-shot-2022-11-09-8-45-58-pm-png
    Thanks for the blowup pic. You can see the rounded ends of the pickguard cutout at the binding where the humbucker fit in.

User Info Menu

I'm as critical as the next guy but how exactly is this guitar butchered?
    Someone decided the humbucker wasn't for them and decided to install a Christian pu instead (likely after experimenting w another pu (hence the guard cuttout)
    Considering that, it looks like a relatively clean job imo, just added a surround to accommodate the pu switch. It's being sold by a non informed seller, yeah its missing a string that points to that, but is that a deal killer? Wouldn't be for me if I liked everything else..
    Tough crowd....

User Info Menu

To follow up, the owner could've started w an L-5C and installed the CC later but likely would've cut through the braces. It won't show from the front, but under the hood.....
    At least this started as an electric and the pu might have missed the braces w the CC installation.
    Frankly, like Woody I like the clear surround and this is much less invasive than brace cutting imo.
    I might have a little more issue if it was a vintage guitar that lived its whole life as an acoustic and someone decided to start cutting holes into, but doesn't bother me as much as a modern electric that someone decided to swap pickups out.
    A bit ambitious price wise for a modded guitar regardless of vintage though the best offer feature is in play on this one.
    Last edited by wintermoon; 11-10-2022 at 02:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Frankly, like Woody I like the clear surround and this is much less invasive than brace cutting imo.
    Is it clear? I assumed it is well matched wood. But the hole that is larger than the pickup does bother me, even more than the oversized pickguard cutout.

User Info Menu

That's pretty clear to me Woody

User Info Menu

A different ring that covers the hole, and a new guard cut properly, and you're good to go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    That's pretty clear to me Woody
    In the area where the string is missing, the spruce grain on the body does not match the grain on the ring.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    In the area where the string is missing, the spruce grain on the body does not match the grain on the ring.
    Probably because of the plastic surround. Pretty clear where the hole is cut for the pu and in looking a looking a little closer the bottom cutout for the pickup hole at the B string could be neater, the jagged edge is annoying but fixable.

User Info Menu

Pickguards can be replaced so that’s less concerning. And if it’s not a UK CC it can be upgraded. But for me the cc pickup into a humbucker surround is a deal killer. I could never look down at that installation and not be bothered. Especially if the alignment is wrong as others pointed out. I have come around on 60s iced tea bursts, but this is more of a neon nectarine burst.