The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

This is a follow up to my previous post about the '94 L-5 CES '52 Reissue I was contemplating buying from The Guitar Emporium. Thanks to the replies, I guess it was enough to push me off high-center and pull the trigger. I'm still in the trial period window (which is up Monday) but since I've already polished all up with Virtuoso Polish I guess that means that I've already made up my mind!

Ok, the playability and tone is amazing. I had a 2014 CES with PAF's which, in a stupid moment, sold.

This one is SO much more alive.
    Unplugged it sounds extremely resonate and FULL. Plugged in, the P-90's just jump out of the amp! Solid, plenty of thump, very percussive and the highs just sparkle.
    From the bottom E to the high E the output is even. That's important to me. The LOOKS are nearly brand new. This was definitely maintained very well.

The only thing, albeit very small, that needs addressing is that the rubber grommet holding the switch has shrunk over the years a bit and rotates. Replacing is fairly simple but the threaded collar ring is a bit corroded and has frozen to the switch threads. I'm dabbing the threads with penetrating oil on a toothpick to eventually free it up. I may be able to tighten it down a bit more since finding OEM grommets now are virtually impossible. No big deal anyway.

Anyway, here it is!
    I think for the price, I got one hell of a deal. PS - Dan King at TME is a complete pleasure to deal with. Extremely accommodating.

"That" 1994 Gibson L-5 CES-baf88417-c9f3-4a12-a51f-80b7327457c0-jpg"That" 1994 Gibson L-5 CES-989e1a35-597a-4cf0-ae54-35d81b1b9950-jpg
    "That" 1994 Gibson L-5 CES-e1c34efc-876c-4578-bcb5-d0773f91cad2-jpg
    "That" 1994 Gibson L-5 CES-fd41d508-36df-494b-8e4f-cd5ddd463500-jpg
    "That" 1994 Gibson L-5 CES-7d8cc9ad-2f51-479e-a2bb-4ecc8adde7d4-jpg
    "That" 1994 Gibson L-5 CES-3b3b1ead-2440-4ff1-8831-3bbcf855dcb5-jpg
    "That" 1994 Gibson L-5 CES-80a4822a-1b17-4ba6-ae40-53442976af84-jpg
    "That" 1994 Gibson L-5 CES-07e63eac-e91b-466e-9d5d-54316d67d480-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice!!!

User Info Menu

Beautiful! Gibson can surely get it done! Congrats enjoy your new guitar..

User Info Menu

May she inspire your playing for many years to come. A knockout to be sure.

User Info Menu

Wow!
    That is a really beautiful guitar. There is nothing like an L5. The wood on your guitar is incredible. The silk on the top and the flame on the maple top shelf. It’s in excellent shape.
    I’m sure it sounds and plays great. But there is something extra when you own an L5. You have an L5!!
    Enjoy it!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Wow! Really beautiful.

User Info Menu

Thanks all!

When Gibson "gets it right", they really get it right.

When I sold my first L-5 I was only partially invested in Jazz. And as such, I wasn't playing it as much as I should. Hence the reason why I cut it loose. As time passed, I found myself focusing 100% on Jazz and was really missing that guitar. I even tried hunting it down to buy back. Then when I learned Gibson wasn't producing them anymore I was literally sick about letting it go. Now, I finally have another one which to me sounds even better.

I'm 67 and I find it only fitting that this is my last guitar.
    The circle of life.

User Info Menu

That’s a real looker. Congrats!

I had a ‘97 L-5CES that had the same issue with the switch grommet. Same problem with the nut being frozen as well. When I realized it’s darn near impossible to find an OEM grommet I improvised a shim, made out of a large diameter, flat, black, rubber washer. I found one with pretty much the same OD as the grommet, trimmed the ID to roughly 1/8” smaller than OD. It took a little trial and error, but after it was in place, the grommet was snugged up tight and the shim disappeared visually. Most hardware stores carry the type of washer I’m talking about.

User Info Menu

Holy Moly what a gorgeous specimen. A HUGE Congrats !

User Info Menu

This guitar looks stunning and coordinated. The flame is book matched wonderfully and then the blond with black P-90s. I am not a fan of look but P-90's compared to humbuckers, but this guitar wipes any looking problems. I am guessing as you say it sounds wonderful. I don't the price but frankly these are not going to get cheaper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    This guitar looks stunning and coordinated. The flame is book matched wonderfully and then the blond with black P-90s. I am not a fan of look but P-90's compared to humbuckers, but this guitar wipes any looking problems. I am guessing as you say it sounds wonderful. I don't the price but frankly these are not going to get cheaper.
    Thank you!

Yes, the P90's with the good magnet points look perfect for this. Especially against the naturally aged amber blonde wood. The tone, acoustic and electrified, sounds wonderful.

This was a consignment piece.
    Price was $9,500.00 firm. All things considered, I thought that was a pretty fair price for this particular specimen. And they're not going to get any cheaper.
    If I passed on it I know I'd be kicking myself later.

User Info Menu

BTW - Here's the S/N.
    Since it didn't have the original COA I, just to be sure, looked it up. It's not an exact science apparently after consulting different databases but it shows as, from what I have learned, correct. Ie - Legit.

I'm sure the Vintage buyer at TME did his homework too.

"That" 1994 Gibson L-5 CES-bcfdf396-9a20-4779-bb13-95d8dc4da693-jpg

"That" 1994 Gibson L-5 CES-e16a53e1-59da-42a4-9201-f7d882e49649-jpeg
    Last edited by 2-5Guy; 11-06-2022 at 06:28 PM.

User Info Menu

And the case, exterior and interior, are as pristine as the guitar.

"That" 1994 Gibson L-5 CES-83bbcba4-a1b7-4963-949e-139ea8a64bff-jpg"That" 1994 Gibson L-5 CES-fb0d941d-0f87-4bdb-9618-fdc38157258f-jpg

User Info Menu

I said it could have been the one I used to have. It's not, but it is gorgeous. Congrats.

User Info Menu

Good Lord, talk about a (drop dead gorgeous) case queen!!

Congratulations! Play it in good health.

User Info Menu

That is absolutely gorgeous. Besides the great tone of the black P90s, they look awesome.

User Info Menu

Big congrats, really great lookin axe, but those "Gibson USA" cases.....I have a guitar in one but can't say I like it.
    Much hipper if the company didn't feel the need to advertise everywhere like back in the old days, kinda screams "steal me"
    But enjoy that guitar, they probably only made a handful of those reissues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Big congrats, really great lookin axe, but those "Gibson USA" cases.....I have a guitar in one but can't say I like it.
    Much hipper if the company didn't feel the need to advertise everywhere like back in the old days, kinda screams "steal me"
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    But enjoy that guitar, they probably only made a handful of those reissues.
    Thanks!
    This one stays at home with me.

User Info Menu

is that all the flame it had?
    lol
    Man, I’m fucking with you. That thing is really gorgeous Jerz Louise !!

Wow

User Info Menu

Doesn't get better than that!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

no, it really doesn’t all kidding comments earlier were exactly that and would be disrespectful to not amplify to the positive.

That’s just such an exceptional piece that you purchased. Congratulations on your purchase.

BigMike

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon
    Doesn't get better than that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    no, it really doesn’t all kidding comments earlier were exactly that and would be disrespectful to not amplify to the positive.

That’s just such an exceptional piece that you purchased. Congratulations on your purchase.

BigMike
    Ah, thank you Mike!!!
    All of the Positive remarks here have helped tremendously. I really, really appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Uh oh. Sudden P90 lust swamps area man!!