The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 51

User Info Menu

I have a chance to get a 1952 Reissue L-5 CES which was made in 1994. Blonde with P-90's. It's in excellent condition and looks absolutely stunning.

My question is, was 1994 a great year for these? I had an L-5 CES (2014) with PAF's but sadly I let it go and now I'm in the hunt for another L-5 CES. The P90 variant as with this one is appealing to me.

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The 90s were an excellent era for Gibson archtops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    The 90s were an excellent era for Gibson archtops.
    I have heard that but wanted this forums consensus.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Man, there’s no bad era for L5s. They were always carefully made.
    p-90s sound great, go for it!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6v6ster
    Man, there’s no bad era for L5s. They were always carefully made.
    p-90s sound great, go for it!!
    Yea, I think I am. These don't come by every day. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Good! Then post copious pics here!
    ??

User Info Menu

I had never heard of this model... very nice!

1952 Reissue (1994) L-5 CES Opinion-screen-shot-2022-10-30-12-06-19-pm-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Z
    I had never heard of this model... very nice!

1952 Reissue (1994) L-5 CES Opinion-screen-shot-2022-10-30-12-06-19-pm-png
    Yes, that's... the very one.
    I really didn't want to post the link for fear someone would swoop in and buy it. I'm going to have a conversation with the seller tomorrow and get some questions answered first. But yea, it's a beauty from what I can see and read. Fingers crossed that all goes well.

User Info Menu

Can you play it first?
    I have a contrary opinion, I do not think with Gibson it’s ever safe to say something like: ‘90’s were a great period for Gibson archtops’. 94 is close to the late 80’s/early 90’s, out of which some dogs crawled. (There were still a lot of post-Kalamazoo issues bumping around in Nashville, like the worn out top carving jig.). Hutch was still around, but by 94 Triggs was gone. I’ve had a wonderful 92, and a woof 93, an OK 95, and still have perfect 89 and 98. (Ha! Maybe because the numbers reverse: 89-98)))
    So, if you can play it, you’ll know.
    Best of luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Can you play it first?
    I have a contrary opinion, I do not think with Gibson it’s ever safe to say something like: ‘90’s were a great period for Gibson archtops’. 94 is close to the late 80’s/early 90’s, out of which some dogs crawled. (There were still a lot of post-Kalamazoo issues bumping around in Nashville, like the worn out top carving jig.). Hutch was still around, but by 94 Triggs was gone. I’ve had a wonderful 92, and a woof 93, an OK 95, and still have perfect 89 and 98. (Ha! Maybe because the numbers reverse: 89-98)))
    So, if you can play it, you’ll know.
    Best of luck!
    Well that's not very encouraging.
    I have a 48 hour trial period but since there aren't two of the exact same one, I'll have nothing to compare it to. I'm in Oregon and the guitar is in CT.
    Great...

User Info Menu

No don’t worry, it’s all about how it feels, plays and sounds to You not me!
    Advice here is freely given, but best adjusted to your own experience.
    I hope it’s a joy in your hands)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    No don’t worry, it’s all about how it feels, plays and sounds to You not me!
    Advice here is freely given, but best adjusted to your own experience.
    I hope it’s a joy in your hands)
    Thanks. I'll be sure to post once I've had a chance to talk with them.
    I really don't want to go through buyer's remorse.

User Info Menu

In the past I owned a number of Gibsons dated from '94-'96 and all were excellent. One of them looked like this:

1952 Reissue (1994) L-5 CES Opinion-front-2-jpg

I thought it was outstanding.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

1952 Reissue (1994) L-5 CES Opinion-a900084c-b007-4dbc-a009-e66d8c97fee8-jpeg1952 Reissue (1994) L-5 CES Opinion-b83f2575-d69f-4a47-8d55-3d8a22fda6d8-jpeg1952 Reissue (1994) L-5 CES Opinion-7b36b169-5a93-46d4-a326-7f38fc8121b6-jpegWell…

I have a ‘56 with the staple P90s and I absolutely love it. It’s a dead ringer for the guitar in that picture. It’s my Elvis guitar.

BigMike

User Info Menu

Sorry Big, not enough flame

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2-5Guy
    Well that's not very encouraging.
    I have a 48 hour trial period but since there aren't two of the exact same one, I'll have nothing to compare it to. I'm in Oregon and the guitar is in CT.
    Great...
    Don't worry about having anything to compare it to, judge it on it's own.
    I'm sure you'll be happy, as long as you're aware that it's not going to sound like a humbucker guitar. Staples aren't for everyone.
    A friend brought over a minty '53 once and I didn't really dig the staples, I lean towards buckers or Christian pickups.
    Mike has one of those too.

User Info Menu

?lol

User Info Menu

Your '39 w Christian and P90

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I'm sure you'll be happy, as long as you're aware that it's not going to sound like a humbucker guitar. Staples aren't for everyone.
    A friend brought over a minty '53 once and I didn't really dig the staples, I lean towards buckers or Christian pickups.
    I'm a fan of both.
    The two I have with P90's are a 1968 Reissue Les Paul Gold Top and a Sadowsky Walter Becker. I really like the tone of both. Having said that, I love the tone of my LP R9 and'59 Reissue ES-335.

BTW - I've never heard the term "Staples" before. Is that synonymous with Dog-Ear P-90's?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2-5Guy
    I'm a fan of both.
    The two I have with P90's are a 1968 Reissue Les Paul Gold Top and a Sadowsky Walter Becker. I really like the tone of both. Having said that, I love the tone of my LP R9 and'59 Reissue ES-335.

BTW - I've never heard the term "Staples" before. Is that synonymous with Dog-Ear P-90's?
    Sort of, it refers to the pole pieces that look like staples. They aren't the same as P90s
    Electric L-5s came w P90s in '51 but switched to Alnicos pu's (staples) for several yrs after before the switch to humbuckers around late '57 early '58

User Info Menu

Sort of, it refers to the pole pieces that look like staples. They aren't the same as P90s
    Electric L-5s came w P90s in '51 but switched to Alnicos pu's (staples) for several yrs after before the switch to humbuckers around late '57 early '58
    I did not know that.
    Thank you.

User Info Menu

WinterMoon

Here’s my 39 and my 2002 Byrdie
    1952 Reissue (1994) L-5 CES Opinion-5477d436-1e58-4d30-8539-eb4160a5539e-jpeg1952 Reissue (1994) L-5 CES Opinion-9e22eb99-7d28-4df2-bbbb-dfc0e25682f9-jpeg

User Info Menu

Ran across this:
    He says Gibson came out with them in 55.

User Info Menu

Here’s a closer picture of the Alnco V’s or staple P 90s on my ‘56

Bi1952 Reissue (1994) L-5 CES Opinion-efa46f20-3454-458f-bb24-be9229d9bde0-jpeg

[ QUOTE=2-5Guy;1228204]I did not know that.
    Thank you.[/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

I guess I'm confused.
    It sounds like you're saying that the 52 reissue I'm looking at has Staples? I'm pretty sure the are regular P90's.