The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 51

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Sort of, it refers to the pole pieces that look like staples. They aren't the same as P90s
    Electric L-5s came w P90s in '51 but switched to Alnicos pu's (staples) for several yrs after before the switch to humbuckers around late '57 early '58
    My bad, I didn't even look at the pics, they're P90s but I've seen a couple reissues recently w Alnicos (staples)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2-5Guy
    I guess I'm confused.
    It sounds like you're saying that the 52 reissue I'm looking at has Staples? I'm pretty sure the are regular P90's.
    The guitar in the photo has regular P-90s

Danny W.

User Info Menu

frankly, many of the re-issues are not terribly accurate copies of the originals. I know the 1939 super 400 and L5Ps that were released in the early 90s by gibson as re-issues were not faithful copies. They’re little features for instance in the 1939Ps that were not copied. For instance, the fingerboard was not attached to the top like in the originals. The only other guitar Gibson did that with was the Johnny Smith, which supposedly attribute its clear high notes.

but it could be the same with the guitar that you were looking at it sure would be good if you could go play it and really try it out in person. I know my 1956 is a lighter build the top and back or thinner plates and it’s really a loud acoustic guitar that’s had pick ups attached to it. It’s why I like it so much. I really favor a lighter build more acoustic instrument.

BigMike
    Last edited by Crm114; 10-31-2022 at 09:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crm114

frankly, many of the re-issues are not terribly accurate copies of the originals. I know the 1939 super 400 and L5Ps that were released in the early 90s by gibson as re-issues were not faithful copies. They’re little features for instance in the 1939Ps that were not copied. For instance, the fingerboard was not attached to the top like in the originals. The only other guitar Gibson did that with was the Johnny Smith, which supposedly attribute its clear high notes.

but it could be the same with the guitar that you were looking at it sure would be good if you could go play it and really try it out in person. I know my 1956 is a lighter build the top and back or thinner plates and it’s really a loud acoustic guitar that’s had pick ups attached to it. It’s why I like it so much. I really favor a lighter build more acoustic instrument.

BigMike
    Since it's at the complete opposite end of the country from me, the only way I can play it is to go through with the purchase and either keep or return it (within 48 hours of receipt)

Thanks Mike

User Info Menu

I think most L-5CES Models have thick plates and are parallel braced. If you’re looking for a better acoustic response try a L-5C or Le Grande, Johnny Smith, etc

And absolutely correct it will probably be a more modern L-5 build as far as feel and neck spec.

User Info Menu

That looks like a really cool guitar. Those are definitely regular p90s, not staples on the reissue.

There are some difference bw the reissue and the specs that would have been found on an original 1952.

An original would have an ebony bridge saddle, not a tune-o-matic. The original would not have a rubber grommet under the pickup selector. The original would have barrel knobs with metal indicators. The original would have stealfast tuners, not grovers. The original pickguard mounted using a block that is screwed to the neck, rather than screwed directly to the top. The shape of the neck heel is different (thicker) on the original. In the cutaway, the reissue has variable width binding vs fixed width.

There's probably more, but these are just the ones that stand out.

Again, very cool guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    That looks like a really cool guitar. Those are definitely regular p90s, not staples on the reissue.

There are some difference bw the reissue and the specs that would have been found on an original 1952.

An original would have an ebony bridge saddle, not a tune-o-matic. The original would not have a rubber grommet under the pickup selector. The original would have barrel knobs with metal indicators. The original would have stealfast tuners, not grovers. The original pickguard mounted using a block that is screwed to the neck, rather than screwed directly to the top. The shape of the neck heel is different (thicker) on the original. In the cutaway, the reissue has variable width binding vs fixed width.

There's probably more, but these are just the ones that stand out.

Again, very cool guitar.
    It's really not important to me, at all, about it being a faithful recreation of the original but rather a great playing, sounding and looking guitar.

I had a 2014 CES that I sold and have regretted it ever since. Stupid, stupid move on my part. But that's ancient history now. I've looked at other solid top/back offerings out there but...well...they don't have that iconic Art Deco flower pot on the headstock!!! Emotional purchases can be dangerous.

User Info Menu

Not trying to criticize it at all! Just calling out some differences. I'm sure it sounds and plays great.

User Info Menu

I think you’ll probably like this one. A whole lot

what is a good thing is that you’ve had other recent Gibso L5 CES so you know what you’re in store for

good luck on your decision

Big
    Last edited by Crm114; 10-31-2022 at 03:13 PM.

User Info Menu

I’ve read many times that the early 90s was a great era for Gibson. Supposedly they had stepped up their game etc. I have a lowly 93 LP Studio that is excellent. I imagine that something like the one you are referencing should be above and beyond.

I have a chance to get a 1952 Reissue L-5 CES which was made in 1994. Blonde with P-90's. It's in excellent condition and looks absolutely stunning.

My question is, was 1994 a great year for these? I had an L-5 CES (2014) with PAF's but sadly I let it go and now I'm in the hunt for another L-5 CES. The P90 variant as with this one is appealing to me.

Thanks

User Info Menu

I think you’ll probably like this one. A whole lot
    what is a good thing that you’ve had other recent Gibson L5 CES so you know what you’re in store for

good luck on your decision and if you get it

Big
    Thanks Big Mike.

Question:
    Were you, at one time, a moderator over on TGP?

User Info Menu

Yes, that's... the very one.
    I really didn't want to post the link for fear someone would swoop in and buy it. I'm going to have a conversation with the seller tomorrow and get some questions answered first. But yea, it's a beauty from what I can see and read. Fingers crossed that all goes well.
    Okay, it’s a rare archtop. All 90’s built L5’s were fabulous. Now you know all you need to know. What are you waiting for, grab it! Before someone else does.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    The guitar in the photo has regular P-90s

Danny W.
    With gold poles!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    With gold poles!
    Is that special/rare?

User Info Menu

I’ve never participated on TGP in any way

BigMike

User Info Menu

I’ve never participated on TGP in any way

BigMike
    I hear ya.
    Ever since I discovered this forum I've never been back there for any Jazz talk.

User Info Menu

I had one of those back then. In fact the one you are looking at could be it. It was a marvelous instrument. Don't hesitate.

User Info Menu

Is that special/rare?
    Not on an L-5.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamScott
    I had one of those back then. In fact the one you are looking at could be it. It was a marvelous instrument. Don't hesitate.
    I'm in the process now.

User Info Menu

The Music Emporium

User Info Menu

The Music Emporium
    Maybe. Left my custody more than 20 years ago.

User Info Menu

Maybe. Left my custody more than 20 years ago.
    Well, the purchase is now complete.
    I have a trial period window so what the heck.

User Info Menu

Music Emporium is a first-class dealer. You should be happy no matter what.

User Info Menu

soon you will realize we are a hopeless group of enabler’s

lol

But that should be a really fun guitar to play like I said mine is my Elvis guitar

Big

User Info Menu

as a sidenote, I could tell you from my own experience buying
    a 50s L5, it’s not cheap

just have a look around a few that are available and they’re up there in the teens in price if not higher

Big