The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hi !

I received it today, it came with 10-46 roundwound strings, it wasn't so bad but I put D'Addario Chromes 12-52

It's my very first archtop guitar, it's very comfortable.
    Last edited by Lionelsax; 10-29-2022 at 05:00 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Acoustically it sounds like a banjo...
    This is the electric sound...
    I was not inspired and it was fast...

User Info Menu

Another one, I will post again and again...

On this one I use a bit of chorus, delay and reverb.

Does it sound like an archtop ?

User Info Menu

You might want to raise the polepiece under the 1st string, it's less loud and full than the rest, or replace it with an higher gauge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    You might want to raise the polepiece under the 1st string, it's less loud and full than the rest, or replace it with an higher gauge.
    Thanks, at first I wanted to do what you said but the problem didn't come from the guitar.
    I was playing without a hight speaker, with the whole amp it sounds like this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Thanks, at first I wanted to do what you said but the problem didn't come from the guitar.
    Hum... With thicker strings it should sound better. Ron is right.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Lionelsax;1229441]Thanks, at first I wanted to do what you said but the problem didn't come from the guitar.
    [/QUOT

Except that those same notes played on the 2nd string sounded round and fat. Just try raising the polepiece or putting on a fatter string, you'll be surprised

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=ronjazz;1229636]
    [/QUOT

Except that those same notes played on the 2nd string sounded round and fat. Just try raising the polepiece or putting on a fatter string, you'll be surprised
    I raised the polepiece, not a bit but more than that, there is only a little difference.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Lionelsax;1229913]
    Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    I raised the polepiece, not a bit but more than that, there is only a little difference.
    That is a better balance, from my perspective. I have found over the years that balancing the strings can take a while, raising and lowering the pickups and/or pole pieces is what many of us spend time doing. I have switched to Gretsch guitars recently, and they have 12 pole pieces on each pickup, which seems like a pain, but is actually a very good fine-tuning mechanism for balancing the strings. I think you have positively enhanced your sound with that adjustment.

User Info Menu

This is how it sounds now, no amp.

User Info Menu

Raising the pole piece didn't make positive things, the string was too aggressive, kind of slapping sound.
    Now it's better, warmer.

I don't know why I prefer my 7 string solid body guitar, maybe it's warmer.
    I play in a trio, flute and two guitars.
    The other guitarist plays on a Gibson ES 175 plugged into a DV Mark Jazz 12, I play on a Harley Benton R-457 plugged into a Line6 Spider II 112, he finds my sound is warmer than his.

Next month, I will replace the other guitarist in another band, I will play the archtop, I will tell you.

User Info Menu

Raising the pole piece didn't make positive things, the string was too aggressive, kind of slapping sound.
    Now it's better, warmer.

I don't know why I prefer my 7 string solid body guitar, maybe it's warmer.
    I play in a trio, flute and two guitars.
    The other guitarist plays on a Gibson ES 175 plugged into a DV Mark Jazz 12, I play on a Harley Benton R-457 plugged into a Line6 Spider II 112, he finds my sound is warmer than his.

Next month, I will replace the other guitarist in another band, I will play the archtop, I will tell you.

Often it helps to find the highest pole piece position on your high E that sounds good to you, then lower everything else (usually you can do it with the main screw that raises and lowers the pickup). Between that and finding the best string size for the high E, you can get string to string balance correct.

For me at least, it's critically important.

User Info Menu

Lionel, nice guitar and playing. if your bandmate finds your Harley Benton R-457 warmer than his gibson 175 perhaps you would fill us in on how it is set up, strings, pu´s, chain etc so as to obtain that warm sound?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    Lionel, nice guitar and playing. if your bandmate finds your Harley Benton R-457 warmer than his gibson 175 perhaps you would fill us in on how it is set up, strings, pu´s, chain etc so as to obtain that warm sound?
    Thanks !

Strings : D'Addario EJ21 + Elixir 80 (instead of the 12, I put a 13 because I didn't put the 12 very well and I wanted to try the 13)

Amp : Line6 Spider II 112 (75W I think), Blues Channel (green), Vox AC30 emulation, Treble 0, Middle 80, Bass 50 a little bit of reverb, No Gain but Level at 100, Master Volume at 30-50 %

About the guitar, I usually play everything all open and during the set I usually roll back a bit the volume and the tone it depends of what's happening. Played acoustically, it has a lot of buzz but when it's plugged it has a lot of dynamics since there are a lot of mids my only playing can control the volume without touching the knobs even if I sometimes touch them.

This is the guitar !
    Hartwood Novella - Archtop Guitar - Why nobody told me it was easier on an archtop ?-13238511_800-jpg

User Info Menu

This is how it sounds now, no amp.

Well, that sounds excellent! Personally, I would be quite happy with that tone. I think the limitation here is not the guitar, it is something about the amp or at least about how the amp is being recorded in those videos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Well, that sounds excellent! Personally, I would be quite happy with that tone. I think the limitation here is not the guitar, it is something about the amp or at least about how the amp is being recorded in those videos.
    I can't remember how I recorded them, maybe on one of these I put a microphone in front of the amp.
    That was the time when the guitar had a TOM bridge, now it has a wooden one.
    This weekend I've got a gig, I'll maybe play this guitar.
    At first they only wanted to invite me as they did last month, when the guitarist knew it, he left the band, so I replace him in order to save the gig, I don't know why some people can't stand me.
    That's what they said, strange story, I'm a cool guy and he is cool too.
    Stupid stories !