The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 111

User Info Menu

I’ve come to the conclusion that I prefer smaller-bodied guitars. In the 15” bout category, what are some of the favorite options amongst you?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ibanez GB10 comes to mind, Collings I35, Collings SOCO, Ibanez AS50, ....?

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Ibanez GB10 comes to mind, Collings I35, Collings SOCO, Ibanez AS50, ....?
    The GB10 is similar to the AG95 I used to have. That was ergonomically fantastic for me. I love the neck on every Ibanez I’ve ever owned. Will look at the AS50 and I35, too. Anybody have any experience with the Sadowsky SS-15?

User Info Menu

Westville Solar or Westville Corona. I tried a Sadowsky SS-15 but went for a Westville Corona.

User Info Menu

I owned an AS50 as of two months ago and didn't find any fault with that guitar - it's a functional semihollobody design and plays and sounds great. The Collings alternatives cost about 4 times as much so maybe it's a better idea to go hunting for that Ibanez .. they are out there and very affordable , a LOT of guitar for the money. I only sold mine to finance an expensive hand-built guitar plus I already own a very nice ES345 which fits me perfectly.
    The GB10 indeed has a superb neck and the ones I have sampled over the years all played great. One other contender might be the Ibanez FG100 : it's 15.5" wide with a 2.5" rim - VERY comfortable and it has a GREAT electric sound, superb playability.

User Info Menu

I am in the same boat with you. Depends on your price limit, and preference for solid carved or lam. I currently use a Sadowsky Jimmy Bruno lam 15" for most gigs, and a carved Eastman 803-15 for more intimate things. (Both below.) I believe both are out of production, but can be found used. Yes the Sadowsky SS-15 is an option, but the prices are getting way out of sight. Here's another option, if you're willing to roll the dice: In China, Yunzhi makes 15"ers to order. This one looks very cool. I was considering one myself as modern cool alternative to the Eastman,

Last edited by Woody Sound; 10-28-2022 at 11:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Benedetto offers 15" archtops. My Bambino Deluxe is very nice, a fully hollow laminate. Eastman has several 15" models, as do Sadowsky, Comins, and many others. There are probably more new 15" archtops available than 17", as that size has seemingly become very popular.

Westville and Seventy Seven have some pretty interesting options. Gonna see if I can find some good videos later. Think I want something relatively “dead” acoustically so lam is most likely the direction I will point towards.

Might just get another AG95. Why not. Less $$ and I already know it works well for me. Would love to try some Artist or Prestige Ibbys, though.

User Info Menu

Options for 15” archtop-screen-shot-2022-10-28-9-40-51-am-pngOptions for 15” archtop-screen-shot-2022-10-28-9-41-15-am-pngI was a GB10 convert from the moment I first picked one up. I'm a 7 string player. I eventually became obsessed with a fully acoustic floating pickup version of that with solid woods and a mahogany/maple neck. I couldn't find one stock at the time but I love the warmth of 'hog necks. So I had Lora and the workshops in China build me a maple/spruce/hog 7 string 15" one until I could build it myself.
    I got it for a little over a grand, put a benedetto/duncan S7 pickup on it, did all the final setup and changed to Shallers and it turned out to be the guitar I can't put down.
    When you order a direct build from those guys, you can specify body depth (shallow for comfort and midrange clarity, piano-like bass emphasis in a deeper body), and if you factour in final setup and hardware tweaking post delivery, you may very well wind up with something that's perfect for you.
    When it comes to smaller bodied guitars, since they're not the norm, this is a real, viable, and even quite affordable option. They'll even put your name on the headstock if you're so inclined.
    The more specific you are on details if you order a custom, the more likely you are to get just what you have been looking for.

And Dang! I do wish Campellone made 15" and 7 string guitars. I'd be on his list in a second. I wrote him, no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I was a GB10 convert from the moment I first picked one up. I'm a 7 string player. I eventually became obsessed with a fully acoustic floating pickup version of that with solid woods and a mahogany/maple neck. I couldn't find one stock at the time but I love the warmth of 'hog necks. So I had Lora and the workshops in China build me a maple/spruce/hog 7 string 15" one until I could build it myself.
    I got it for a little over a grand, put a benedetto/duncan S7 pickup on it, did all the final setup and changed to Shallers and it turned out to be the guitar I can't put down.
    When you order a direct build from those guys, you can specify body depth (shallow for comfort and midrange clarity, piano-like bass emphasis in a deeper body), and if you factour in final setup and hardware tweaking post delivery, you may very well wind up with something that's perfect for you.
    When it comes to smaller bodied guitars, since they're not the norm, this is a real, viable, and even quite affordable option. They'll even put your name on the headstock if you're so inclined.
    The more specific you are on details if you order a custom, the more likely you are to get just what you have been looking for.

And Dang! I do wish Campellone made 15" and 7 string guitars. I'd be on his list in a second. I wrote him, no dice.
    I did consider going the direction of contacting Lora. I’ve seen some posts here describing very good results from their operation. If I can sell my SF, I’ll take some time to figure out just which direction to go.

User Info Menu

Depending on your budget, AJL makes a gorgeous 15" archtop that Olli Soikkeli has been playing. AJL-Guitars | Nuages 15"

AJ is currently making me one of his Quiet and Portable guitars (which should hopefully ship next week) and he has been wonderful to work with. With the Euro and Dollar currently 1:1, it's a fairly good deal for us State-side.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    I did consider going the direction of contacting Lora. I’ve seen some posts here describing very good results from their operation. If I can sell my SF, I’ll take some time to figure out just which direction to go.
    Every option has its pros and cons. Be aware that a custom built from China can be a once in a lifetime find, but it can also have wood that other small scale builders wouldn't use, functional but with figure that some might call blemished. I deal with both Wu and Yunzhi and they've been really good but one guitar had a neck angle I didn't like that also had a plugged knot hole under the finish. Still a nice guitar but not the idea of perfection that some would demand in a hand built line. Also, they tend to benefit a lot from a good set-up within a year after one gets it, as finishes, frets and wood settles to your own clime. At that price, they may not age a set of wood to air dry for 10 years or kiln dry the way other makers do. Once it's settled, and been brought back to spec, you've got a serious player in the game, especially in the more rarified 15" market.
    You can also have them build a full sized humbucker into the top, or even make the top from carved mahogany (a wood that falls somewhere in between maple/maple laminates and spruce in terms of warmth and response, 'don't know why more builders don't use this).
    This is another thread for discussion so I'll leave it here.
    Best of luck in your search. Gotta say, I started on classical and my 15" is the closest in feel, sound and comfort to my ideal of archtop for classical sensibilities. If you got a custom, you could also get your own string width if that was an issue.

User Info Menu

I couldn't find one stock at the time but I love the warmth of 'hog necks. So I had Lora and the workshops in China build me a maple/spruce/hog 7 string 15"
    That's exactly what I've been trying to find for a long time now. I thought I had a 15" Foster 7 a few months back from a JGO sale post. But the seller was unresponsive when asked for pics in which fret condition etc could be seen, and he wouldn't provide any details of history, condition, etc. I even offered to fly down to NOLA to pick it up from him for cash, but I never got a definitive answer.

Who are "Lora and the workshops" and how do I contact him / her / them to order a guitar like yours?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Westville and Seventy Seven have some pretty interesting options. Gonna see if I can find some good videos later. Think I want something relatively “dead” acoustically so lam is most likely the direction I will point towards.
    There is a used Seventy Seven Albatross Jazz for sale at a local music store near me. I’ve played it. Typical excellent Seventy Seven build quality. They also sell online and don’t charge sales tax for out of state online purchases. DM if you’re interested and I’ll send you a link.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    That's exactly what I've been trying to find for a long time now.
    Who are "Lora and the workshops" and how do I contact him / her / them to order a guitar like yours?
    Lora in an independent rep/laison/agent for a number of excellent luthier workships based outside of Beijing. Her connected shops have master builders who have worked for Eastman and branched off during their period of prosperity. The guitars she can connect you with are Yunzhi and Wu, maybe others, and their sensibilities tend towards the lighter built Benedetto model. Eastman was a well respected violin building company before guitars and made their name in the field. Lora has been close with the master builders who have struck out on their own.
    guitar_archtop@163.com

Write to her and good luck.

User Info Menu

410 Gone

I don't know why the link text comes up like that, it's yolandateam.com. They work with both Yunzhi and Wu. I have three Wu guitars, and he makes excellent guitars. He was one of the original luthiers with Eastman, then went out on his own. Yunzhi is a factory, and while I have no personal experience, they make decent looking guitars. Wu will build whatever you want, although his standard models are a safer bet.

User Info Menu

I too prefer the softer warmth of the hog neck.

User Info Menu

I'm confused, (unless you mean you specifacally want 7 string on 15") here's his 15" model, see this:

Campellone EP 15 2015 Sunburst | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    410 Gone

I don't know why the link text comes up like that, it's yolandateam.com. They work with both Yunzhi and Wu. I have three Wu guitars, and he makes excellent guitars. He was one of the original luthiers with Eastman, then went out on his own. Yunzhi is a factory, and while I have no personal experience, they make decent looking guitars. Wu will build whatever you want, although his standard models are a safer bet.
    Thanks!
    I used to reach her on yunzhiguitar@gmail.com but that may be an old address. Maybe predating her establishing herself as an independent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I'm confused, (unless you mean you specifacally want 7 string on 15") here's his 15" model,:
    Yeah, 7 strings are a must for me. I have a 16" and 17" Campy in the shop. SUCH beautiful guitars but no longer for me.
    Benedetto came up with a way to put 7 string necks on 6 string bodies. It involves a slight fingerboard flair out on the cutaway side (like the bow of an air craft carrier I always thought). I wish Mark would consider this adaptation.
    Options for 15” archtop-screen-shot-2022-10-28-10-43-22-am-png

User Info Menu

Currently waiting on a Wu arrival. I asked for heavier build (6mm top minimum) with 15inch width and 2.25 depth. I plan to replace the pickup with a KA that will be custom for neck attachment.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Eastman has one:

FV880CE - Eastman Guitars

Eastman FV880CE-SB AAA Spruce/Flamed Maple Frank Vignola | Reverb

Eastman FV880CE-SB Frank Vignola Signature Archtop - DjangoBooks.com

This is a licensed build, copy of Frank Vignola's custom build from Ryan Thorell. The nut width is 1 3/4", so a bit wider than a typical archtop. Nice acoustic tone and also very nice plugged in. Eastman seems to be building consistently decent quality guitars these days.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    Eastman has one
    But like JBN, I also play only 7s. Sadly, Eastman is no longer making any 7 string archtops at all. I’d be thrilled with an El Rey 7 or a Vignola style 7, but there’s no longer any way to get either one made by them. I’m tempted to buy one of the 16” 7s they made for Guitars ‘n Jazz, but I already have a decent 16. What I really want and need is a 15.

I’m now more glad than ever that I got my 810CE7 about 2 years ago.

User Info Menu

But like JBN, I also play only 7s. Sadly, Eastman is no longer making any 7 string archtops at all. I’d be thrilled with an El Rey 7 or a Vignola style 7, but there’s no longer any way to get either one made by them. I’m tempted to buy one of the 16” 7s they made for Guitars ‘n Jazz, but I already have a decent 16. What I really want and need is a 15.

I’m now more glad than ever that I got my 810CE7 about 2 years ago.
    That's the conclusion I came to. 15" 7, somebody's got to make it for you. The Guitars 'n Jazzers are a bit shallower but still a bit to get your arm around if that's an issue, and they tended to come with a wider than standard string spacing.
    In these days of "If we don't sell a thousand, it's not worth it", the small custom shops are going to be the only options. C'mon Ibanez, listen to the buzz. Can you imagine a 7 string George Benson? Speaking of which, they used to have a suggestion box outside the corporate offices in Bensalem where ideas could go directly to Japan. Ideas like sliding truss rod covers and different colour combinations would get dropped into the box and sometimes we'd see them come to fruition in next year's catalogue. Too bad I don't work there anymore. But glad it's a part of my past anyway.