The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Well, you'll certainly not see me make an NGD thread every day. This one comes with a lot of preamble, so turn around now if you don't like a story!
    I also do not play any classical music whatsoever.

For those who don't know, I bought my Gibson semi-hollowbody 7 years ago and have only bought a couple of novelties since then (which have since been sold). I've been quite satisfied and have had no particular need for a different guitar, as I'm much more keen on having as few as possible.

I've also worked in music retail for the last 6 years and been thoroughly unimpressed with the general direction the quality of craftsmanship has been going. Below is a list of every single guitar of the hundreds, if not thousands, I've tried in those years, which illicited the response "Whoa! This is special!", with the year we got it:

• Fender Richie Kotzen Telecaster (2016)
    • Gibson ES-175 (2016)
    • PRS Custom 24 (2021)
    • Furch Vintage 3 OOM-SR (2022)

... And now, thankfully, this guitar! I did something I've never done before, and which I never want to do, which is to pre-pay a guitar I've never tried. I had to, because I was buying it directly from the distributor as a favor to me for my ambassadorial role for Altamira in my market. I have had complete faith in the brand after selling countless guitars and having only a couple of true warranty issues, which is more than I can say for the Spanish brands we carried for many years, nevermind their rubbish service.

The only downside is that I ordered this with the knowledge that it was to be built after ordering and delivered in about 6 months. For whatever reason, it only took one month and I had yet to save up, so it ate up my entire salary for this month...! I'm sure it will be more than worth it.

From its journey from warm and humid China to dry and cold Northern Europe, it had a slightly sunken top which is improving steadily in my humidity-controlled room.

The guitar is unlike any classical I've tried, and it feels revitalizing. I had to check twice that I was tuned up correctly because even the 5th and 6th string rang with such a tremendous power and depth that I began to wonder whether I had accidentally tuned a whole step down. The basses are simply put, like that of a grand piano. The fret work is impeccable too, polished to a mirror-like finish. This is undoubtedly a pricey guitar from which one should expect such details, but it was still a pleasant surprise among the endless stream of >$2000 Fenders, Gibsons, and more with sandpaper frets.

I am surprised to say that it plays really well. It came with another saddle (presumably lower), but I'm sticking with the factory setup for now, which seems to be spot-on. It feels easier to play than my beloved 70s Ibanez classical, which is a surprise given that there's both more tension, more strings, and a factory setup; nevermind the fact that I'm not yet familiar with the instrument.

I'm excited to broaden my playing style via this instrument. I'll upload some sound clips once I get more comfortable with it. Currently I'm just noodling and getting used to the extra string. I might add some thoughts too, but I was just too excited to wait with my post!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have several nylon 7-strings, and a guitar like that with the 7th tuned to A is the perfect Bossa-nova/jazz samba guitar, great for duo work or a self-accompanying singer. I had a quintet years ago where I played 7-string, with 2 horns, vocalist and drums, and it was as fat and full as you could want, with bo piano or bass. Thats a really nice-looking 7-string.Check out Rafael Rabello and Yamandu costa on youtube to get an idea of the enormous range of things you can do on that instrument. The Brazilians who play chord style will often tune the 7th to low C, so watch for that.

User Info Menu

I have a 10 string, but have been thinking of moving down to an 8. The 10 is a little bit disorienting to me (right hand), especially going back and forth between that a 6 string.

User Info Menu

Absolutely beautiful! Low A (like George Van Eps) or high A (like Lenny Breau)?

User Info Menu

Nice stand too!

User Info Menu

Forgot to attach these videos of the fantastic Doug de Vries playing this model.

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    I have several nylon 7-strings, and a guitar like that with the 7th tuned to A is the perfect Bossa-nova/jazz samba guitar, great for duo work or a self-accompanying singer. I had a quintet years ago where I played 7-string, with 2 horns, vocalist and drums, and it was as fat and full as you could want, with bo piano or bass. Thats a really nice-looking 7-string.Check out Rafael Rabello and Yamandu costa on youtube to get an idea of the enormous range of things you can do on that instrument. The Brazilians who play chord style will often tune the 7th to low C, so watch for that.
    Yes, I was originally planning on going low C on advice from a friend who has lived in Rio, but decided on going with low B for the time being as it feels natural. I'll experiment with other tunings too, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I have a 10 string, but have been thinking of moving down to an 8. The 10 is a little bit disorienting to me (right hand), especially going back and forth between that a 6 string.
    I was originally looking for either an 8- or 10-string, but had a bit of a moment of realism and figured it might be too hard on my left hand. I don't play in ensembles anymore and I don't like playing to tracks, and my electrics are only collecting dust. The dream of guitar turned into the same as the dream of a keyboard; a grand piano. Who knows, perhaps over time, I'll decide to get a 10-string after all?

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Absolutely beautiful! Low A (like George Van Eps) or high A (like Lenny Breau)?
    I'm going low B! When I play with my singer friend, I do a lot of Surdo impressions with alternating basses, so the low B feels natural.

Nice stand too!
    Cheers, I think it's called the "Big foot" by K&M. I only bought it because it was something like $5 at a clearance sale while I was a student, but have warmed to it.

User Info Menu

Oh that will come in handy for some chorinhos. Also I think seven string is good for Bach lute suites.

i played a trad Brazilian seven string for a week with the trad low C tuning and it completely messed with my head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr quick

I was originally looking for either an 8- or 10-string, but had a bit of a moment of realism and figured it might be too hard on my left hand. I don't play in ensembles anymore and I don't like playing to tracks, and my electrics are only collecting dust. The dream of guitar turned into the same as the dream of a keyboard; a grand piano. Who knows, perhaps over time, I'll decide to get a 10-string after all?
    I use it like a piano to accompany my violinist wife. I tune the 4 extra bass strings to whatever the piece calls for. So I rarely if ever reach over to fret the lowest strings, because I've tuned then to use as open.

User Info Menu

I use it like a piano to accompany my violinist wife. I tune the 4 extra bass strings to whatever the piece calls for. So I rarely if ever reach over to fret the lowest strings, because I've tuned then to use as open.
    Interesting, and makes sense. I'd love to hear if you have recordings.

User Info Menu

There is a considerable dip between soundhole and bridge, even after a week at constant 50-60% humidity. Should I be concerned? Never owned a high-end classical before, so I didn't even know about brace telegraphing.

User Info Menu

Looks nice. I've played quite a few high-end classicals, none of which had a dip. If anything they can be domed slightly, the opposite of what you are seeing. But there are a few construction methods, so I wouldn't say you definitely have a problem. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't consider a sub $2,000 instrument as "high end". I sincerely wish the were high end at that price. High end tends to start around 4 Grand and rises significantly. My fingers are crossed for you!

But if you love the sound and playability, there should be no problem, but keep an eye on the dip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Looks nice. I've played quite a few high-end classicals, none of which had a dip. If anything they can be domed slightly, the opposite of what you are seeing. But there are a few construction methods, so I wouldn't say you definitely have a problem. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't consider a sub $2,000 instrument as "high end". I sincerely wish the were high end at that price. High end tends to start around 4 Grand and rises significantly. My fingers are crossed for you!

But if you love the sound and playability, there should be no problem, but keep an eye on the dip.
    Cheers, indeed it has a dome at the bridge itself - the dip is in the front of it, towards the soundhole. Fair enough re: the price, but the actual retail for these (locally) would have been over "well over $3000" if they were actually available in my country - or so I'm told by the distributor!
    Of course, the price is irrelevant. It's a nice guitar which I love playing. I'll inquire with the distributor tomorrow.

Big fan of your work, by the way. Eager viewer of your YouTube videos!

User Info Menu

Thanks. I look forward to your videos!