The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Found a set of Benedetto Jazz .012 strings in a discount bin for €3. I put them on my Eastman AR580CE with SD Jazz humbucker. Acoustically this is a warm and clear sounding archtop with the D’Addarios which I normally put on it. Amplified, however, can be quite bright and I’m usually struggling a bit to tame the highs without muddying up the sound. The Benedetto strings fixed that instantly. I’d go as far as saying that these strings made this guitar go next level up, certainly when plugged in.

Can’t find much info on these strings and they’re not all that easy to find in Europe. Anyone else have experience with them?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The brightness you describe is common on Eastman archtops. My friend uses Benedetto strings on his Eastman and they sound quite good.I've been meaning to give them a try.You can buy them online here at Strings | Benedetto Guitars I don't see any reason they wouldn't ship to Europe.

With shipping and customs and all that, it’s not attractive to buy from overseas. I wonder where Benedetto gets them from; I doubt that they’re producing them in house. Anyway, I will definitely be trying other pure nickel sets to see if I can find something similar. Great strings!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67
    With shipping and customs and all that, it’s not attractive to buy from overseas. I wonder where Benedetto gets them from; I doubt that they’re producing them in house. Anyway, I will definitely be trying other pure nickel sets to see if I can find something similar. Great strings!
    I've not been able to find out who makes these for Benedetto. But keep in mind that "pure nickel" only refers to the wrap wire. The cores and unwound strings are still steel, so they can't be that different structurally or chemically from other nickel wrapped strings. There aren't that many manufacturers in the world. I strongly doubt that enough Benedetto strings are sold to justify separate materials and production machinery for contract manufacture, especially at a wholesale cost that lets Benedetto sell them at prices at or below those of other premium strings.

Others seem to love them, so I'll try a set of the flats over a Chrome 7th and see how I like them.

User Info Menu

In the jazz world, a 12-52 string set is considered "light" and indeed, back in the day (before the late 60's), that was a set of "light" strings (Fender guitars made in the 50's and 60's shipped with 12's).

In todays guitar world, dominated by rockers, this is a "heavy" set. When I was coming up in the 70's, 9's were considered "light" and they even had 8's which were considered "extra light". Now they even make 7's, just in time for my (soon to come) old age.

User Info Menu

I don't think it is because the name Benedetto is on the strings is why they are warmer, the reason is they are pure nickle wound. You can get pure nickle wound from many string manufacturers. I like D'addario pure nickle wound and while Benedetto makes wonderful guitars I don't see a big deal on strings but glad you found a good set. I would not call them light but basically medium these days but all technicalities. I really like to have a .24 for the wound 3rd and many of the TI strings have too light 3rd string. In my old age I would consider a 13.-56 set as pretty heavy and useful for pure rhythm playing but frankly not needed just get more sound out of the 12-52. For whatever reason I do like a lighter set or feeling when playing completely fingerstyle.

User Info Menu

There are a few string companies which make strings for companies who want to have their own brand. I think I once found the one which produced Benedetto strings, but it's been awhile, and I can no longer remember the manufacturer, nor indeed whether I actually found the correct one. In any case, they're not made by Benedetto, nor are any of the other accessories they sell. Benedetto just makes guitars.

Edit: I would bet a small amount of money on this one. Guitar String Manufacturing

User Info Menu

I think that LaBella make strings for Benedetto but I could well be wrong or misremembering