The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I inherited a set of LaBella Nylon Tape strings on a guitar I purchased. I love them. One question for other users. What do you do to keep the silk wind from unravelling? I just can't keep the extra string in a loop on a beautiful archtop. I was thinking about cutting then after winding then toasting the end with a lighter to melt the nylon wrap in place. Is that necessary? If you wind with the entire string then cut after several wraps are in place on the tuning head, does that stop the unwinding?

I'd like to find a way to co exist with these strings as I find the bass tone intoxicating.

Cincy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The El Rey 7 that I am borrowing from a friend has a set of black tapes on it. What a great sound. It appears that he clipped the ends and there is a little bit of unraveling but the winding is holding the tape in place.

LaBella Black Nylon Tape Strings-0320daee-fcda-4a81-ad1f-f941c2b06379-jpgLaBella Black Nylon Tape Strings-35b5d35c-1c74-4f57-a0c0-603fec96e953-jpgLaBella Black Nylon Tape Strings-93de50fc-8af8-4ed9-8bbf-9e12b722f9c1-jpg

User Info Menu

You could just brush a little bit of generic poly finish (minwax, etc) or glue on the end. I love the tone and feel of the black tapes, but I find you need a light touch on the lower frets, especially with high frets. Otherwise the lower end goes sharp when you fret them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by USNA75
    I inherited a set of LaBella Nylon Tape strings on a guitar I purchased. I love them. One question for other users. What do you do to keep the silk wind from unravelling? I just can't keep the extra string in a loop on a beautiful archtop. I was thinking about cutting then after winding then toasting the end with a lighter to melt the nylon wrap in place. Is that necessary? If you wind with the entire string then cut after several wraps are in place on the tuning head, does that stop the unwinding?

I'd like to find a way to co exist with these strings as I find the bass tone intoxicating.

Cincy
    Do you really own all those guitars in your sig? Yikes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    You could just brush a little bit of generic poly finish (minwax, etc) or glue on the end.
    Nail polish will do nicely too. But I just roll that part of my strings up (or leave it be if it's too short for that).