The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hi everybody,

i wanted to ask you a technical question.
    I bought recently a Zoom G5n multi effects processor, because i just liked the idea of experiment and find new sounds with my guitar.
    I state that i have an Archtop Ibanez George Benson and i've always played only with an amp Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
    Maybe it's too generical issue but i would like to know if any of you know the best patch and effects to get a nice clean sound.
    I'm looking for a nice Jazz sound and i was wondering if someone who already got the Zoom G5n could help me!

Thanks for your possible reply

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Trough a PA or in front of the HRD?

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Trough a PA or in front of the HRD?

What do you mean?

User Info Menu

I mean, will you be playing the G5N trough some sort of mixer/PA setup or in front of the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (HRD)?

I mean, will you be playing the G5N trough some sort of mixer/PA setup or in front of the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (HRD)?
    In front of the Fender Hot rod Deluxe

User Info Menu

Ok, I've had (and still have) quite a few zoom pedals, although not the g5n. In front of that amp I would only use a graphic eq (usually the eq on the amp is not enough for my moody archtop) and reverb (usually plate), because the reverb on fender amps tends to be either too subtle or too wet.

Going trough a PA is a whole other story.

Ok, I've had (and still have) quite a few zoom pedals, although not the g5n. In front of that amp I would only use a graphic eq (usually the eq on the amp is not enough for my moody archtop) and reverb (usually plate), because the reverb on fender amps tends to be either too subtle or too wet.

Going trough a PA is a whole other story.
    Sorry, what's the name of the Patch?

User Info Menu

It depends what you play through and what type of jazz sound you like.

You can get a good jazz sound with a Hot rod deluxe without using the zoom.

I have the Zoom G3n which I think has the same sounds as the G5n but fewer knobs.
    I have never used any of the factory patches that it came with (I tried them out when I just bought it, but not more than that) and I doubt many users use the factory patches.
    I have only used it to build my own signal chains and tweek them.

The Zoom G5n offers: amp sim, cab sim, effects. (also looper and drum machine which I have used as practise tools).
    "jazz sound" can mean different things, but it is usually a clean guitar amp paired with a spekar wich both have some "character", and the effects used are most of the time just EQ and reverb (built into many amps)
    You don't need amp- and cab sim if you are playing through a nice tube amp (but you can use it if you want, you can for example marshall amp model to get a marshall overdrive sound) like a hot rod deluxe,
    but you can try out the different reverb effects and see if you like the added options for tweeking the EQ.

I also like to use it to get a bit of a compressor and boost (I like the one called RC boost) when I play teles and strats.

You might also like some more "modern" jazz sounds, like for example using a chorus effect, and I also think there is an effect that does this attack smothening thing similar to what Kurt Rosenwinkel sometimes uses. There are a lot of effects you can play and experiment with and you can probably find something unique if that's what you are after.

You can also use your zoom with headphones or plug it into a PA or computer audio interface and then it will be useful to use amp- and cab sim.
    I think I've used the Twin reverb amp model the most, but there are other nice ones.

I you use the unit to play jazz with a group of people you could set it up so that one button gives you a volume boost to switch between playing rhythm and lead.

There is a good jazz guitaist on youtube called Riccardo Chiarion who did some demo videos of the Zoom G5n.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fra88
    Sorry, what's the name of the Patch?
    No patch, just build a chain from scratch, it's quite easy.

User Info Menu

There’s an application called “Zoom Guitar Lab” that you can download from their site that make it even easier to make your own preset.

Quote Originally Posted by orri
    It depends what you play through and what type of jazz sound you like.

You can get a good jazz sound with a Hot rod deluxe without using the zoom.

I have the Zoom G3n which I think has the same sounds as the G5n but fewer knobs.
    I have never used any of the factory patches that it came with (I tried them out when I just bought it, but not more than that) and I doubt many users use the factory patches.
    I have only used it to build my own signal chains and tweek them.

The Zoom G5n offers: amp sim, cab sim, effects. (also looper and drum machine which I have used as practise tools).
    "jazz sound" can mean different things, but it is usually a clean guitar amp paired with a spekar wich both have some "character", and the effects used are most of the time just EQ and reverb (built into many amps)
    You don't need amp- and cab sim if you are playing through a nice tube amp (but you can use it if you want, you can for example marshall amp model to get a marshall overdrive sound) like a hot rod deluxe,
    but you can try out the different reverb effects and see if you like the added options for tweeking the EQ.

I also like to use it to get a bit of a compressor and boost (I like the one called RC boost) when I play teles and strats.

You might also like some more "modern" jazz sounds, like for example using a chorus effect, and I also think there is an effect that does this attack smothening thing similar to what Kurt Rosenwinkel sometimes uses. There are a lot of effects you can play and experiment with and you can probably find something unique if that's what you are after.

You can also use your zoom with headphones or plug it into a PA or computer audio interface and then it will be useful to use amp- and cab sim.
    I think I've used the Twin reverb amp model the most, but there are other nice ones.

I you use the unit to play jazz with a group of people you could set it up so that one button gives you a volume boost to switch between playing rhythm and lead.

There is a good jazz guitaist on youtube called Riccardo Chiarion who did some demo videos of the Zoom G5n.

Thank you man

I must say that in addition to the Twin Reverb simulator, i've tried also the Fender Deluxe Reverb (very Nice) and the Matchless Dc-30. I didn't know this last one and i must say that is very interesting!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fra88
    In front of the Fender Hot rod Deluxe
    This is the video someone mentioned before.

R. Chiaron said he used a twin reverb as amplifier (you do not need it), a hall reverb, and a digital delay. All of them adjusted "ad orecchio" (by ear). The tones on the guitar are around 6.

That's another example on youtube:

And another one using the old Zoom G3 with some compression on it. You can find very similar effects (pedals) on the G5N.

Hope this helps.