The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

Hi everyone so thanks to all that commented and gave advice while I was choosing a guitar to Travel about with I ended up with a 2016 Samick built Masterbilt Deluxe which I'm in the progress of converting to a lefty

Made some good progress today! She's playing lefty woop!

Some pics of the bridge assy to help anyone in the future.

Few things took a lil bit of sorting out with the fretboard angle the new nut I got didn't have enough height on the Treble side I've got a new nut with enough meat on it to allow me to get the string height correct at the nut.

I've cheekily shimmed it one side so I could sus out whether I was going to have an issue with the inotation at the bridge. At first I thought I had but after swapping the insert round and discovering my tuner had jammed on the wrong mode! Oops I dialed the inotation it pretty well, I've got a lefty compensated tusq acoustic insert coming on Monday that I'm going to modify to nail ? the inotation perfect. So for any other lefties thinking about it it can be done ^__^

Once ive got the new nut I'm gonna pull the action up a bit, also I can't get used to the strings! Need something semi flatwound with doing legato and glisando's an fun stuff! The finger noise isn't to bad acoustic but with the shadow Peizo it's a bit to much when sliding.

This clip was with Elixir Nanoweb 12-53 phospher bronze

Next plan is a lefty Pickguard and I'm thinking about a floating Charlie Christian pickup

From this:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

To this:

Just fitted a Tusq nut and shaped n sanded it to size and whoah the volume gained about another 40% on the Epi sounds really really full to and alot more dynamic lot of natural reverb to n you can feel the notes all the way through the guitar and neck.

I'm just trying to settle on action at the moment. Sounds like an absolute canon now so much dad asked me to turn the amp down LOL was funny when I said it was not plugged in!

It's sorted the issue out at the nut on the treble e that's now at 2/64th"

currently at the nut

bass e: 4/64
    A 2.5/64
    D 2/64
    G 2/64
    B 2/64
    E 2/64

and the action at the 12th fret is 4/64" now

With a set of 12-54 it's dropped the bass e to 3/64

the previous owner had the action down at 1/64th at the nut treble and 2/64th on the bass e

What's everyone's preff on action?

Clip of its new tone just tweaking the side of the nut, I've still got the bridge insert to go in that's lefty compensated by tusq gonna start looking at making that fit I need to buy some fret files on Monday.

Hope everyone enjoys

Lucy

Another interesting day today worked my way through a few sets of strings all day

Started with a set of Monels which I've recorded in the following clip them moved onto the half wounds wasn't mad on the finger feel on those, recorded them though.

Just put a fresh set of Monels on for the rest of this week.

Best sounding so fat was the Martin Phospher Bronze 12-54 but loud finger string noise amazing sound though.

Best under my fingers Elixr Nanoweb sounded like a Canon with those on to. Odd aggressive squeak but that's probably me.

Wasn't into the feel of the half wounds n still loud squeaks on slides cut all the tone off the top end on it to.

Gonna give the monels a good try this week

Then I might look at either the polyweb Elixrs 80-20 in a 12-53 or fit nanowebs again

Hope everyone's enjoying the comparisons

Lucy

User Info Menu

So a tusq nut is an improvement over the bone? I am asking because I have the same model which is already great, and would LOVE to squeeze more out of it. What size nut did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Just fitted a Tusq nut and shaped n sanded it to size and whoah the volume gained about another 40% on the Epi sounds really really full to and alot more dynamic lot of natural reverb to n you can feel the notes all the way through the guitar and neck.

I'm just trying to settle on action at the moment. Sounds like an absolute canon now so much dad asked me to turn the amp down LOL was funny when I said it was not plugged in!

It's sorted the issue out at the nut on the treble e that's now at 2/64th"

currently at the nut

bass e: 4/64
    A 2.5/64
    D 2/64
    G 2/64
    B 2/64
    E 2/64

and the action at the 12th fret is 4/64" now

With a set of 12-54 it's dropped the bass e to 3/64

the previous owner had the action down at 1/64th at the nut treble and 2/64th on the bass e

What's everyone's preff on action?

Clip of its new tone just tweaking the side of the nut, I've still got the bridge insert to go in that's lefty compensated by tusq gonna start looking at making that fit I need to buy some fret files on Monday.

Hope everyone enjoys

Lucy

User Info Menu

I enjoyed the string comparisons, however my favorite part was the thumbs up.

Yep Found it a massive improvment

Graphtech TUSQ XL Slotted Nut Lefthanded (for Epiphone electric guitars made in 2014 and later)

I got this one you have to sand it to fit into the nut slot on the front and sides and it has plenty of material on the bottom as well to get the action set right which was really handy for the conversion, the bone nut one I got which was for a lefty epi before the Tusq was to shallow for a lefty Conversion where as the tusq was perfect height wise. On a righty you will have more adjustment for the action at the nut.

Very impressed with it for the way I play you can feel the vibrations of a note all the way through the back of the neck even with my thumb playing.

What strings are you using on yours?

Glad you enjoyed the thumbs up ^__^

User Info Menu

The one in the picture appears to be a righty(?)

Indeed they shipped a lefty nut though must have just been a stock pic

Hey everyone got a quick question for anyone who's got a masterbilt Deluxe got the original manual and does it mention the original action and neck relief?

Been trying to get the info out of Epiphone but they aren't to forthcoming.

User Info Menu

I have tried different strings and they all sound great. When I want a jazzier sound, I use flat wound strings and the P-90 pickup on my aftermarket pick guard.

Currently I have a set of aluminum bronze acoustic strings for a more acoustic sound. The strings have a great sound and the guitar responds really well. I use it this way for gypsy jazz. I do have a Gypsy Jazz guitar as well but this add an additional sound for variety.

I am definitely going to try a tusq nut.

Yep Found it a massive improvment

Graphtech TUSQ XL Slotted Nut Lefthanded (for Epiphone electric guitars made in 2014 and later)

I got this one you have to sand it to fit into the nut slot on the front and sides and it has plenty of material on the bottom as well to get the action set right which was really handy for the conversion, the bone nut one I got which was for a lefty epi before the Tusq was to shallow for a lefty Conversion where as the tusq was perfect height wise. On a righty you will have more adjustment for the action at the nut.

Very impressed with it for the way I play you can feel the vibrations of a note all the way through the back of the neck even with my thumb playing.

What strings are you using on yours?

Glad you enjoyed the thumbs up ^__^

Thanks RS that's super interesting I was fancying a loaded pickguard at some point been looking at the Benedetto but could see that being a problem turning it round with the none adjustable pole peices and its cutway for the B string I think it was inside the pickup.

I thought CC pickup initially but I bet a p90 sure does sound fun!

Which P90 did you get?

Hope you like the nut as much as I did out of interest RS what action are you running on yours?

User Info Menu

Can't wait to see/hear once you decide on a pickup. This has turned into a very cool project.

Thanks Jeff glad everyone's enjoying. Today I went back to the Martin Phospher Bronzes played the Monels for a good 5 hours this morning.

It's been such an expensive but interesting learning experience trying all the different strings while they are fresh.

Got 12-54's on at the moment.

An then I decided to raise the action after some info from Epiphone.

So without further a do so to me it sounds like there's a fair bit less sustain on everything and a bit less brightness but there's more of a fullness an evenness with the higher action I've got a bit of fret buzz that I've been trying to eliminate
    I'm at 7/64th bass e string and 6/64th high e string so only slight but quite a big difference in its tone shows how sensitive they are to it it was at about 3-4/64th before hand dependant on strings amazing how much higher just 1-2 64ths feels though.

I really want to try some Elixir polyweb 80-20s but for now I'm gonna try get the setup as best as I can with the Martins as I've got a few packs

I've done some comparisons in this video between the two action heights.

Last edited by Lucy; 09-12-2022 at 04:39 PM.

User Info Menu

The one on the pick guard in my profile picture is a P-90. I do not know what it is as the guy who made it just provided it without description. I will try to find a video that includes me playing on it. Sounds great.
    I missed your question about the action. I did not measure it. I try to set it as low as possible and not have buzz. My neck has virtually no relief and very low action and no buzz or dead spots to be found anywhere on the fretboard.

Thanks RS that's super interesting I was fancying a loaded pickguard at some point been looking at the Benedetto but could see that being a problem turning it round with the none adjustable pole peices and its cutway for the B string I think it was inside the pickup.

I thought CC pickup initially but I bet a p90 sure does sound fun!

Which P90 did you get?

Hope you like the nut as much as I did out of interest RS what action are you running on yours?
    Last edited by rsclosson; 09-12-2022 at 07:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey everyone got a quick question for anyone who's got a masterbilt Deluxe got the original manual and does it mention the original action and neck relief?

Been trying to get the info out of Epiphone but they aren't to forthcoming.
    Can’t help with Epi specs, action and relief are a matter of preference more than spec. On any acoustic guitar (assuming level frets), action should be about 5 or 6/64" on the bass side and 1/64”-ish less on the treble as a starting point. Relief should be 8-10 thousandths of an inch as a starting point. From there make small adjustments to dial in feel.

Thanks John I'll give that a whirl wanted to check the relief out as I think its hardly got any in it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    So a tusq nut is an improvement over the bone?
    Highly unlikely, under normal circumstances (i.e. a properly set up guitar). Remember that the nut has an effect on the sound of the open strings only, for all practical purposes.

What may have happened here is that Lucy had swapped around and shimmed her original bone nut. That means the strings came off the nut on the wrong side and also the nut may not have been seated ideally. But then again, here too the effects should have been much less noticeable on fretted strings than on open strings.

My Seagull came with Tusq nut and saddle. Her sound improved immensely when I replaced the saddle with a well-made bone saddle. If I were to keep her I'd be replacing the nut too, sooner rather than later, because Tusq is soft and scores very quickly, e.g. if you bring a string up to tension over the top instead of in its slot. I cannot imagine that the slots will NOT drop if you replace strings a lot.

That's actually a good point RJVB the bone nut was a replacment lefty one and was to shallow and had to be shimmed on one side with ut being a conversion.

Where as the Tusq one allowed a solid connection to the Neck once I've trimmed it this is my first time learning how to do any of this so worth taking it all as a pinch of salt as I learn.

One thing that has crossed my mind with the string buzz I'm chasing after reading my benedetto book is the angling on the bridge insert. I spun that round so the slots are in the correct orientation but in the book it mentions angling the slots on the bridge if they are not angled enough ie a small gap at the bottom between string and notch on the fingerboard side of the saddle it could cause string buzz I'll have to get it out when I'm back an have a close look
    I've got the lefty compensated insert to make next so I'll make sure to do that.

Edit the angles have been cut both sides good thinking whoever made the bridge.

User Info Menu

One thing that has crossed my mind with the string buzz I'm chasing after reading my benedetto book is the angling on the bridge insert.
    Yes. Just like nut slots the saddle slots have to have a tiny slope with the string comes off. One would say that all that does is to increase the sounding length of the string a tiny bit, and move any buzzable contact points further back, but in practice it really works. If you have too nut files, put one of the correct gauge at a 45° angle to the edge of the slot and give it a few light swipes. You can just lift the string out of the slot for that and move it aside. Put it back, test, and give it a few more swipes if the buzz is less but still present.
    It's tricky to put your ear onto the saddle and still pluck the string properly, but you can also diagnose saddle buzz by excluding buzz at the nut when playing an open string. If it's not the nut and you also get a similar sounding buzz (sounding like loose wrap wire) on every note you play on that string it is almost certainly the saddle slot.

Thanks RJVB awesome information

Just been looking at string tension on some of the sets, I've emailed cleartone to try and find out what there tension is as those were the original fit in a 12-53.

Current action
    7/64th 7 is just showing bass e
    5/64th High e string on 6th
    String is level with the 6th mark

Martin 12-54 Phospher bronze string tension 168.5 lbs

Martin 12-54 Monels 163.33lbs

Martin 13-56 Monel Mediums
    190.9lbs

Elixir 12-53 nanoweb phospher bronze 162lbs nanoweb based on a 25.5" scale neck

Elixir 13-56 nanoweb phospher medium guage 188lbs

Elixir 12-53 polyweb 80-20
    158 lbs

Elixir 13-56 polyweb 80-20
    183lbs

Cleartone 12-53 original guage string tension ??
    25w

I've also been trying to capture the natural reverb / overtones and general yummy sound I like on the guitar with the phone, an finally got a good position where it picked it up yay! Headphones for the clip an you should be able to hear it, I've also recorded just the open strings, most of the buzzing I'm suffering with is on slides an on stopping the notes mainly on bumpin, an full house which is two slides one on the b string 6-7th fret and another on bumpin is 8-10th on the g and one at the 11-13th on the b string.

I'm gonna get a fret rule and see if I've got any high frets

Played the open strings hard on this at the end as well, sounds alot better if I drop my attack down an play smoother so a heavier guage string I'm thinking will drive the top harder for the volume / sound I like without it rattling of the frets.

Last edited by Lucy; 09-13-2022 at 10:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Lucy: Here is a couple of short samples of the sound of my P-90. This is with TI Flatwoundb13s through a DV Mark Little Jazz (Sorry I am not better looking.)

Hi RS thanks for sharing the clips that p90 sounds dreamy wonderful playing n lookin dapper! Is that a WD frequensator?

I do love the sound of flatwounds I've not tried an TI'S yet on the list

User Info Menu

Hi RS thanks for sharing the clips that p90 sounds dreamy wonderful playing n lookin dapper! Is that a WD frequensator?

I do love the sound of flatwounds I've not tried an TI'S yet on the list
    I hate to admit it but I forgot where I got the Frequensator. I think it is WD but not sure. TI flat wounds are lower tension strings. If I use D'Addario, I use 12s but for TI, I use 13s. TIs are pricey but they last and last.

Thanks RS