The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 218

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    Are these the same tech as the Honda Clarity, which Honda had been testing at scale in an area of California since 2006?
    From what I can tell, yes. The project may have been discontinued in 2008, but the car was discontinued only about a year ago.

Also, to generate equivalent power from those wind turbine monstrosities and solar panels implies an absolute devastation of natural landscapes.

Vast solar panel farms are indeed somewhat of a devastation of natural landscapes, although you can question how negative their impact is going to be if they're concentrated in places like arid deserts (e.g. would they stop the tendancy such deserts have to grow in times of rising temperatures and increasing drought?).
    Wind turbine parks are a different matter. Sure, they will add a human element to the landscape, they represent a certain danger to birdlife, but I cannot find them ugly. Then again I have never seen them in high density configurations where you no longer see the forest through the trees.

Thing is, either we make place, or nature will have to make place.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    From what I can tell, yes. The project may have been discontinued in 2008, but the car was discontinued only about a year ago.

Vast solar panel farms are indeed somewhat of a devastation of natural landscapes, although you can question how negative their impact is going to be if they're concentrated in places like arid deserts (e.g. would they stop the tendancy such deserts have to grow in times of rising temperatures and increasing drought?).
    Wind turbine parks are a different matter. Sure, they will add a human element to the landscape, they represent a certain danger to birdlife, but I cannot find them ugly. Then again I have never seen them in high density configurations where you no longer see the forest through the trees.

Thing is, either we make place, or nature will have to make place.
    Solar farms can work quite well with agriculture when done right. The shade from the panels can actually improve the growth of some crops and grazing sheep when done in pastures can work quite well.

User Info Menu

A solar panel on the roofs of a house can reduce the house's consumption from the grid and contribute excess electricity to the grid. Every home should have one.

User Info Menu

Interesting info about the solar panels! We have the national VAG group import hub in the neighbouring tiny town, with a huge parking lot. They've been installing solar panels all over it. Win-win I presume: the cars are protected from direct sunlight and they must generate a good part of their electricity needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    A solar panel on the roofs of a house can reduce the house's consumption from the grid and contribute excess electricity to the grid. Every home should have one.
    Agreed, but as usual it's not that simple... Cost, available roof space, orientation & solidity and last but not least, local ordonances. Our house is in a historic village for instance, and while we're not at all in a touristic part and definitely not visible from those parts we still don't have the right to install solar panels on the street side of the house. Which is also the part facing south...
    We can hope that kind of rules will change sooner rather than later, but it will certainly not be fast enough.

User Info Menu

Planning issues aside the technology is not yet sadly at a point where everyone can afford it, even though it will save people a lot of money in the long run; that was true before the Ukraine war doubly true now. Even with our renewables only energy company (Octopus) our bills are tied to the increase in energy costs nationally, inc natural gas (UK is mostly natural gas and wind energy) unfortunately.

I mean I'd love an EV an a solar cell but I can't currently afford either. OTOH, my in laws have both and they love it. My parents have a solar panel and it saves them money too; they even export power to the national grid.

The idea of having energy independence is pretty appealing at the moment I have to say.

(And then there are people who talk about their old school sports cars and moan about gas prices. But then this kind of thing isn't about reason. It's about the slipping away of an old way of life, a dream, isn't it? I feel you, as the kids say.)
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 09-05-2022 at 08:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Also, to generate equivalent power from those wind turbine monstrosities and solar panels implies an absolute devastation of natural landscapes. The greens seem unfazed by this, which says a lot. At times it seems the environment is more of an abstraction than a real thing for these people (most of whom live in cities). They also are devoid of practicality, insisting on technologies that are not ready for large-scale deployment and may have limited scope for improvement.

Oh, don't be silly.

BTW, I am assuming that you are American - apologies if not, it's just statistically likely.

Look I've driven through the US. Maybe you think it's all so super special that we can't have any of it covered over with a solar plant or whatever, but there's a whole lot of not a lot. The idea that anyone would build these things in Zion national park or something is a canard at best.

Here in my postage stamp size country we've out them out at sea (which I understand is a bit easier because our seas are continental and therefore shallower than yours.)

I once did a gig on the ferry where they take people to look at the offshore wind turbines out at sea near where I grew up (116 turbines providing 400MW Some people think they're cool enough to pay money to get on a boat and go look up close.

20% of UK domestic energy is wind generated. I might note that this roll out occurred in the past decade, under - guess what? - the Conservatives. You won't read THAT in the Guardian.

The greatest fear, I think, of those who are against renewables people is not that Big Government Liberals might make it illegal to drive a gas guzzler, but rather that they will be rendered obsolete by the Free Market.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 09-05-2022 at 09:40 AM.

User Info Menu

My cousin lives in the far NE suburbs of Chicago. Several years ago, his son convinced him to purchase solar panels for his home's entire roof and garage. To this day, the cost of the panels/installation has not been recovered through savings since there are not enough sunny days in Illinois to produce enough surplus energy and ,by his own admission, his electric bill from the county is basically unchanged when averaged on a yearly basis. Perhaps homes in Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Florida, etc. would see a real benefit with unfettered sun for the majority of the year. I also installed a wind generator and a solar panel on my offshore sailboat and found that the cost did not justify the savings. My Ampair wind generator produced only 25-30 amp hours in a 24-hour period(normal wind conditions) and the small solar panel about 15 amp hours a day . . . not even enough to run my meager refrigeration needs of 75 amp hours a day. I removed them both after two years since the benefit was not worth the extra weight, noise, maintenance, and drag induced to my boat. I did, however, purchase a high-output Balmar alternator which produces more energy in one hour running time than the combined efforts of the solar/wind. And, my 27hp Yanmar diesel is very fuel efficient and cost-effective over the long term.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    It's about the slipping away of an old way of life, a dream, isn't it?
    indeed! And the really sad part is that those dreams are colored by wishful thinking and imperfect memories. I’m a life long auto racer - I’ve built and successfully raced many small bore sports and formula cars since 1967. Anyone who thinks a ‘65 Pontiac GTO or a Lotus Cortina was objectively wonderful and exciting to drive compared to any decent modern equivalent is delusional. A Miata is light years ahead of a Lotus Elan. And a Tesla blows that GTO out of the way, stops and handles much better, and is much more reliable and durable. Good electric cars are fun to drive, even though I still love the sound of an overhead valve V8 with too much valve overlap

Guitars and amps are no different. Look at all the wonderful current products coming from shops both small and large. I loved the 175 I had in the 1960s. But it had little direct competition. Look at what we can get today for less money in inflation-adjusted dollars. Then there are the innovators, like guitars made of materials other than wood and in non-traditional shapes. Parker, Klein et al are the Les Pauls of the modern era - Lester had trouble getting anyone to take his ideas seriously until he hid them inside a traditional guitar body.

Sure, a lot of new ideas are less than great and offer us nothing of value……except a continued push toward ideas that are great. Those who don’t know history are indeed doomed to repeat it. But so are those who know nothing but history. Embrace the future and try everything - one day, you’ll find something you love!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    indeed! And the really sad part is that those dreams are colored by wishful thinking and imperfect memories. I’m a life long auto racer - I’ve built and successfully raced many small bore sports and formula cars since 1967. Anyone who thinks a ‘65 Pontiac GTO or a Lotus Cortina was objectively wonderful and exciting to drive compared to any decent modern equivalent is delusional. A Miata is light years ahead of a Lotus Elan. And a Tesla blows that GTO out of the way, stops and handles much better, and is much more reliable and durable. Good electric cars are fun to drive, even though I still love the sound of an overhead valve V8 with too much valve overlap

Guitars and amps are no different. Look at all the wonderful current products coming from shops both small and large. I loved the 175 I had in the 1960s. But it had little direct competition. Look at what we can get today for less money in inflation-adjusted dollars. Then there are the innovators, like guitars made of materials other than wood and in non-traditional shapes. Parker, Klein et al are the Les Pauls of the modern era - Lester had trouble getting anyone to take his ideas seriously until he hid them inside a traditional guitar body.

Sure, a lot of new ideas are less than great and offer us nothing of value……except a continued push toward ideas that are great. Those who don’t know history are indeed doomed to repeat it. But so are those who know nothing but history. Embrace the future and try everything - one day, you’ll find something you love!
    As a Miata owner, I wholeheartedly agree it blows any classic car out of the water in terms of performance and drivability, as well as refinement.

But the situation with guitars is not so stark. There’s just nothing any better than a 175 or L5 at making jazz music. Parkers even the archtops might have some stylistic changes but nothing revolutionary, and not sounding any better than a vintage guitar or even a modern Godin or Peerless.

There is this interesting Parker guitar on Reverb right now for a low price…looks strangely appealing to me, but not one of his more innovative designs in terms of playability. I think his current bespoke archtops are uber-expensive, unless I’m mistaken.

Parker [PJ12 Jazz Series][Sunburst][2008] | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    There’s just nothing any better than a 175 or L5 at making jazz music.
    And that’s my point! By defining “better” in the context of a 75 year old design, we limit our horizons. Imagine getting the same amplified tone from a guitar that also had a better acoustic sound or from a guitar that looked and sounded the same but was made with a revolutionary new material or construction method that reduced or eliminated any effect of ambient environmental factors on stability and longevity…….and cost half as much.

The best is only the best until something better comes along. And objectively, there’s really no such thing as the best anything. If there were, everyone who could get it would have it and there’d be no debate about it.

User Info Menu

Well, here is an archtop made of carbon fiber that would be impervious to the whims of climate and environment:

Emerald Guitars - Kestrel - Electric/Acoustic Archtop

I have two McPherson carbon fiber acoustic guitars: the Sable and the smaller Touring. They are quite nice and sound good, but contrary to the wishful thinking claims often made over at the acoustic guitar forum, they do not sound like wood. They have their own pleasing sound and as for feel, they play pretty much like a Taylor acoustic.

McPherson Carbon Series:

Best Sounding Carbon Fiber Acoustic Guitars – McPherson Guitars

The Kestrel from Emerald, I have no personal experience with and I always "try before I buy", so ordering fro the factory in Ireland is not for me. I did have the opportunity to play an Emerald X20 acoustic that somebody who lives in my area owns. I found it to be similar in many respects to my McPherson Sable, but preferred the Sable probably because I am used to it.

These, along with many such carbon fiber guitars fall in the $3k - $5k range.

Tony

User Info Menu

*really*
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    As far as I can see, any objections to this technology if one can afford it are fundamentally ideological. It's the economically rational choice over the long term.
    You edited this, but I got that original tidbit in my email. I'd be curious to know over just how long a period you'd have to calculate to make solar panels (and I don't mean the ones for small garden lights etc) or a Tesla economically interesting. For EVs that calculation would probably be a lot easier (and the duration shorter) if they could somehow drive off the mains, a bit like trains do.
    FWIW, I did a quick comparison of the price per watt I pay for my gas BBQ and for electricity. The latter is a whopping lot cheaper. Then again I don't know how well an e-BBQ would work (with gas you are not limited by a subscription with limited throughput). And we do have power cuts here...

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Anyone who thinks a ‘65 Pontiac GTO or a Lotus Cortina was objectively wonderful and exciting to drive compared to any decent modern equivalent is delusional. A Miata is light years ahead of a Lotus Elan. And a Tesla blows that GTO out of the way, stops and handles much better, and is much more reliable and durable. Good electric cars are fun to drive, even though I still love the sound of an overhead valve V8 with too much valve overlap
    I've never driven a US muscle car, but my big-bore V-twin probably had a power/weight ratio that's more like what those cars offer than what a regular European car have. I'd never have replaced that bike by an electric, no matter how much more acceleration it would have. The fun wasn't in that anyway, but in feeling the engine roar and shudder under you, the sounds of the transmission, the torque effects of a longitudinal crankshaft etc (not to mention to "good vibrations" for the pillion rider ). I can imagine that the excitement of driving an old muscle car is in similar things.
    I cannot help but think of EVs as bigger, more powerful and luxurious versions of golf cars. Fine for going places in comfort, but ... do they even come in stick and manual (pardon, pedal ) clutch versions? If not, how much *fun* can they reall be to drive on small alpine or in fact any kind of windy roads??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB

I've never driven a US muscle car, but my big-bore V-twin probably had a power/weight ratio that's more like what those cars offer than what a regular European car have. I'd never have replaced that bike by an electric, no matter how much more acceleration it would have. The fun wasn't in that anyway, but in feeling the engine roar and shudder under you, the sounds of the transmission, the torque effects of a longitudinal crankshaft etc (not to mention to "good vibrations" for the pillion rider ). I can imagine that the excitement of driving an old muscle car is in similar things.
    I cannot help but think of EVs as bigger, more powerful and luxurious versions of golf cars. Fine for going places in comfort, but ... do they even come in stick and manual (pardon, pedal ) clutch versions? If not, how much *fun* can they reall be to drive on small alpine or in fact any kind of windy roads??
    I have had the following muscle cars over the years

1967 Firebird 400 Convertible
    1967 Firebird 400 Hardtop (with a factory 4 speed)
    1968 GTO Convertible
    1976 Trans AM
    1982 Trans AM
    1984 Chevrolet Corvette

My 2014 Buick Regal GS AWD (which is essentialy a top of the line Opel Insignia) handles WAY better than any of them and is almost as fast off the line. And gets twice the fuel economy. No more vintage muscle cars for me.

As far as motorcycles go, I have been riding bikes with an air cooled 45 degree V-Twin motor since 1981. My current main squeeze has a 103 cubic inch displacement. I have ridden many bikes that were faster and handled better. In the real world of having to pass an 18 Whheler while doing 70 MPH, the Torque of the Big Twing is unmatched. And then there is the style. As they say, If I have to explain, you woudn't understand. And in my younger days, when I was chasing skirt, that "pillion vibration" certainly helped "prime the pump".

EV's? I don't care for the styling of any of the current offerings, nor the impossibility of taking out of the way routes (at present). Both of my homes have solar systems and I buy almost no electricity. Those solar systems paid out after about 8 years (I originally figgured 15 years, but the utility company has raised rates much higher than inflation.). When they make an EV that I like and fast chatging is available at every gas staion in America, I plan on driving one.

For my two wheeled fun, I plan on sticking with the gas powered V twin. I know what I like and if it ain't broke, why fix it?

User Info Menu

Back in the early 2000s, I remember seeing a free concert put on by a musician who lives up in Northern Minnesota in the woods. The concert was at a local outdoor bandshell and was entirely powered by a large solar panel mounted on trailer that looked like what you might haul a boat with. He played guitar that had midi control over a bunch of synthesizers, so that was no small feat powering all that gear. The local PBS station did a segment about him in which he said that his house and studio were all solar powered too. Back then, solar power was not yet as wide spread among individuals as it is today.

Unfortunately, I don't recall his name since I had only seen of him that one time. I tried a google search but so far have not turned up anything about him. I would consider him a pioneer of sorts around my state for using solar power though. I did read that Minnesota is ranked 13th among the states for use of solar power.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    My 2014 Buick Regal GS AWD (which is essentialy a top of the line Opel Insignia) handles WAY better than any of them and is almost as fast off the line. And gets twice the fuel economy. No more vintage muscle cars for me.
    You did notice that I don't contest any of that, right?

If my biking days were to come back somehow and budget allowed, I wouldn't hesitate to get me a late model (2008 or so) Guzzi California (the real one, not the current name bearer). A cruiser built on a racer frame, fun guaranteed. Or if biking remains a no-go, some kind of older muscle car. Or a late model ex-police cruiser Town Car (which wouldn't get a collectible registration, damn). As a pleasure/leisure secondary vehicle ... a capricious mistress.

A friend of mine drives collectibles exclusively, and also goes on vacation with them (he's got a CX and a CX2 for that).

User Info Menu

When the Obamas bought ocean front property on Martha’s Vineyard, you had to know something was up.

User Info Menu

The motorized toys…. Sold the 2 Ducatis. I just couldn’t hunch over them for any length of time. They are missed though. The Kawi is fast and comfy. The Alfa Romeo is a sweetheart!
    How quickly prices have gone up... oh my...-25f61c29-1ddb-4518-8613-0a12606de322-jpgHow quickly prices have gone up... oh my...-14c793a5-409e-4b5f-80f0-e269159c4e28-gifHow quickly prices have gone up... oh my...-7715aa0e-b722-4e51-ac37-ffd3337fcdf5-jpegHow quickly prices have gone up... oh my...-260e0644-97fa-4b55-840e-60f5d668eb03-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    Back in the early 2000s, I remember seeing a free concert put on by a musician who lives up in Northern Minnesota in the woods. The concert was at a local outdoor bandshell and was entirely powered by a large solar panel mounted on trailer that looked like what you might haul a boat with. He played guitar that had midi control over a bunch of synthesizers, so that was no small feat powering all that gear. The local PBS station did a segment about him in which he said that his house and studio were all solar powered too. Back then, solar power was not yet as wide spread among individuals as it is today.

Unfortunately, I don't recall his name since I had only seen of him that one time. I tried a google search but so far have not turned up anything about him. I would consider him a pioneer of sorts around my state for using solar power though. I did read that Minnesota is ranked 13th among the states for use of solar power.

Tony

Michael Monroe, perhaps?

From Minnesota also came the world's first solar-powered rap video.

User Info Menu

Yes, I believe from reading his site that you are correct. The person I was thinking of is Michael Monroe.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have had the following muscle cars over the years

1967 Firebird 400 Convertible
    1967 Firebird 400 Hardtop (with a factory 4 speed)
    1968 GTO Convertible
    1976 Trans AM
    1982 Trans AM
    1984 Chevrolet Corvette

As far as motorcycles go, I have been riding bikes with an air cooled 45 degree V-Twin motor since 1981. My current main squeeze has a 103 cubic inch displacement. I have ridden many bikes that were faster and handled better. In the real world of having to pass an 18 Whheler while doing 70 MPH, the Torque of the Big Twing is unmatched. And then there is the style. As they say, If I have to explain, you woudn't understand. And in my younger days, when I was chasing skirt, that "pillion vibration" certainly helped "prime the pump".

EV's? I don't care for the styling of any of the current offerings, nor the impossibility of taking out of the way routes (at present). Both of my homes have solar systems and I buy almost no electricity. Those solar systems paid out after about 8 years (I originally figgured 15 years, but the utility company has raised rates much higher than inflation.). When they make an EV that I like and fast chatging is available at every gas staion in America, I plan on driving one.

For my two wheeled fun, I plan on sticking with the gas powered V twin. I know what I like and if it ain't broke, why fix it?
    Hi, SS,
    Your '76 Trans Am with T-tops and the big bird on the hood was the hottest car in Chicago.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Change is inevitable since the newer generations need to feel empowered just like we did! Is it better, well technology and advancements in Science sure are.

Music, Food, Arts, Acting, etc? Well again it depends on the audience is. For me as I grew older and realized how much better a lot of things were in the past were and I started questioning lots of things.
    Entertainment is not necessarily music, amount of sales or popularity does not make food or a product superior. And there are really only 13 Stories or Moral Tales that are retold over and over.

And while it’s great to have the internet for more connections to others. I sorely miss the in person connections from gigging I had over 45 years of playing professionally!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Good article. I think we are without a doubt "detached from reality"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Good article. I think we are without a doubt "detached from reality"
    I was going to post a recent rather epic rant by Piers Corbyn (Jeremy 's brother) but I have no idea of his current standing in the sci community (i.e., is he one of the many high level guys who've been ostracised, just short of being sent re-education camp, because he doesn't agree with the "99.9999%" consensus?) ; and have little interest in convincing anyone, when all one has to do, in order to at least suspend judgement, is open their eyes and ears.

User Info Menu

I was going to post a recent rather epic rant by Piers Corbyn (Jeremy 's brother) but I have no idea of his current standing in the sci community (i.e., is he one of the many high level guys who've been ostracised, just short of being sent re-education camp, because he doesn't agree with the "99.9999%" consensus?) ; and have little interest in convincing anyone, when all one has to do, in order to at least suspend judgement, is open their eyes and ears.
    This is the best advice that anyone could give "open your eyes" what do you see? Step back from the noise, and agendas, dare to acknowledge what your senses are telling you.