The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I could buy either of these guitars used,

Ibanez - Made in China - 750 euros

D'Aquisto DQ Jazz Line - Made in Japan - 1700 euros

Does anyone have experience with these instruments?

Very similar specs, laminate woods, etc., but quite a difference in price....

I play basically fingerstyle arrangements of Jazz standards, so no Pat Martino here.....

Ibanez PM2-AA vs. D'Aquisto DQ Jazz Line-7212110_1650050478-jpg

Ibanez PM2-AA vs. D'Aquisto DQ Jazz Line-7124242_1642273588-jpg

Thanks for your help....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The D'Aquisto has a balance, acoustic liveliness and more inspiring vibe to it for me. As much as I like the Ibanez, that Jazz Line just feels more like a professional's tool. Plugged in too, I like the pickup they selected and would take it as it is as a player. The Ibanez, for my personal tastes, I would swap out the provided pickup from the get-go.
    That's strictly my opinion, as a player. Others can give you more information as far as prestige, re-sell value, market and bling perception. I worked for Ibanez and have a great love and respect for their guitars but in a shoot out between these two, no way I'd take the Ibanez over the D'Aquisto.

I'd put the D'A more on par with the much coveted and rare JP20 as far as overall quality and feel. That'd be a harder decision for me to make. That D'Aquisto is all the things I love about a Joe Pass JP20 and it's got the pickup positioned closer to the fingerboard for a warmer classic sound. They hit all the points on that one.

If you can, try them both. Spend time with them. And in the end, don't listen to me, you'll know what makes you play better.
    Good luck and have fun

Thanks Jimmy!

User Info Menu

Hands down, the D’Aquisto! Made in Japan, and a superbly balanced archtop. I once owned one.

Plus, it looks like a copy of the Sadowsky Jim Hall model.

The Ibanez? Meh.

User Info Menu

I'd say the D'Aquisto as well. I tried one once and really liked it. Woulda bought it, but somebody else grabbed it before I could. My only caveat would be that it's a brighter sounding guitar (in a good way, but still ...) than the PM2. If you're looking for more of a dark, classic laminated guitar tone the PM2 may get you closer to that. But if you're looking for something that has a little more of the vibe of a carved top (or even an acoustic), the D'Aquisto gives you that.

User Info Menu

I don't know how similar the D'Aquisto Jazz Line is to the Fender D'Aquisto series that were made in Japan in the 80s and early 90s, but I have a Fender D'Aquisto Elite—later model, with a standard humbucker route. I put a Seventy Seven AL255 pickup in it, and it is probably my number 1 or 2 guitar in terms of playability and sound. So if there are similarities in overall design and materials between the Fender and the Jazz Line, I don't think you'd regret it.

User Info Menu

I have de D’ a and its my main right now. I love it go for it you didnt regret.