The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson View Post
    I use a Lace Ultra Slim on my arch top and it sounds great.
    I’ve been looking for a pickup that’s a bit more full-range than a normal floating pickup, to bring out more of the acoustic tone of the archtop. Does that pickup approach that?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have an Attila Zoller Shadow pickup floating off the neck on a solid body guitar, and it sounds quite good. It's slim, humbucking and full-range. The guitar has flatwound strings, which also contributes a lot to the sound.
    this bad boy: SH AZ-48 Attila Zoller Floating Jazz Pickup – Shadow Electronics

User Info Menu

+1 on #23 and #25. I bought a Pete Biltoft CC replica pickguard mounted pup. Pete and I exchanged multiple e-mails to identify what thickness I should get. He offers several thicknesses. I mocked-up a plastic rectangle and using my pickguard in the "study", the allowable thickness was determined. And, when it arrived, It fit just right!

Tom

Ultra slim pickup?-635955a3-aa98-416b-8b63-9cfc74d020fc-jpg

User Info Menu

I contact Pete and the slimmest pickup he offers is 9.5mm in thickness. That was not going to work for me I had about 11.5 mm from top to strings. A Krivo is just a tab over 6mm and that will work anywhere really. A Kent Armstrong Slimbucker is about 8.7mm but the tabs are below the pickup to they effectively make it not as thin as I could be. The trick is being thin but also the lead wires have to come out the sides no the bottom of the pick. I did a big post about this just 10 days ago.

In putting a floating pickup on my 38 L5 I found that a Dearmond work the best and a Krivo really as well I just happen to like the way the dearmond attached. A Slimbucker also works if you bend the tabs flat and move it a bit up from the fingerboard. In terms of sound it was great but the pickup was really over where I pick and got in the way. You need about 3mm of space between the top of pickup and string. In the end the good old dearmond is a clear winner.

User Info Menu

A Haussel Flat Jazz humbucker has a thickness of 8mm.

User Info Menu

Inexpensive Artec MHPA95: AlNiCo bar magnet - Neck:#43/7.2k

9mm thick + cable.

Attached Images Attached Images Ultra slim pickup?-mhpc95_d-jpg