The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Yesterday afternoon I stopped into the nearby Sam Ash store in Edison, NJ, to pick up a set of strings and a few odds and ends. In all fairness to Sammy Ash, who just happens to be my best friend’s cousin, I don’t expect that Sammy would take issue with my saying that this store is not a place for jazz guitar aficionados or even jazz neophytes like me just looking to browse the inventory. However, on this particular day, in the back of the guitar section, was a single instrument display case with this pristine looking 1987 Johnny Smith. I thought you might want to see it.

1987 Gibson Johnny Smith in the most unlikely place-1987-jimmy-smith-sam-ash-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You resisted the temptation to play it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    You resisted the temptation to play it?
    Yes, I did resist. I'm still relatively new to jazz guitar and it felt like if I had to ask the store manager to show up with a key to open display case, then hang around while I gave it a spin, I should at least be able to play something worthy of an instrument like this and I'm just not there yet. I have a few nice guitars of my own that I'm happy to play at home, just not yet ready to play in public even if it is only a guitar store.

User Info Menu

Double pickups. A rare version, Norlin era?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    The price card in the display case lists the guitar as a 1987, so presumably a couple of years post Norlin.

User Info Menu

The purpose of the expensive guitar in a display case is to attract customers, who marvel at its beauty before buying a set of strings.

Cynics say female staff perform a similar role.

User Info Menu

Could have ripped through some Stairway, like they do in Guitar Center.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I think around '63 a couple yrs after it's introduction. Not rare.

User Info Menu

I checked out that guitar on their website. It is a 67 (not an 87) and has a couple of electronics issues. I would say it is priced fairly. I would check the nut size. A few Smith's were made with the narrow nut during those years (by special order).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I checked out that guitar on their website. It is a 67 (not an 87) and has a couple of electronics issues. I would say it is priced fairly. I would check the nut size. A few Smith's were made with the narrow nut during those years (by special order).
    Wow, I guess my 67-year old peepers couldn't tell the difference between a 6 and an 8, but now that I expanded the pic to supersize I can see the price tag does list the year as 1967; my bad .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    The purpose of the expensive guitar in a display case is to attract customers, who marvel at its beauty before buying a set of strings.

Cynics say female staff perform a similar role.
    I understand the psychology of big retail; however, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Considering the target customer for this store they would attract far more customers for strings by replacing the beautiful, vintage jazz box with a sweaty, concert-worn John Mayer tee shirt or a lock of Jimmy Page's hair. Sammy Ash happens to be a true guitar lover and real fan of the instrument, so if scratching his itch and displaying some eye candy for me to enjoy while I drift to the string section for an extra set, well that's ok with me .

User Info Menu

That’s a beautiful guitar. I knew it was earlier than ‘87 when I first looked at the picture, because that’s the early style tailpiece.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Guitars are like houses, which are all priced at the going rate! That guitar sold for $5k in 2011. Crazy market.

User Info Menu

I bought a Strat at that store when Sam Ash had a blowout on American Standards in only two colors Candy Cola or Charcoal Frost. Was able to choose from like 19 of them. $750. FWIW.

Worked there in the early 90’s… I saw one jazz box accidentally roll through there… wine red Wes Mo L5

apparently it took a wrong turn at Albuquerque to end up in the Edison store … me and the guitar manager marveled at the thing… Closed the case… an elephant went to Manhattan … or White Plains I can’t remember.

I believe we were being beaten in the head by shredder guitar players at the time… I’m sure things have not changed.

frankly I’m shocked to see such a thing in such a place myself, lol Thanks for sharing… definitely took me down memory lane

User Info Menu

I found my 1952 Gibson L-4 complete with a deArmond and original case, all in the proverbial 'under the bed' condition in my local Guitar Center. The brown case is so nice at first I thought it was a re-issue case. You just never know what you will find.
    Thanks John1987 Gibson Johnny Smith in the most unlikely place-img_5017-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by powerwagonjohn
    1987 Gibson Johnny Smith in the most unlikely place-img_5017-jpg
    I dig the Invisible Man handle.

User Info Menu

Yea, the leather started to crumble with use so bandaged it up, like an invisible man! I never thought of it that way but if I took it off it would probably would be invisible!
    Thanks john

User Info Menu

Oh my!! I wonder how much?