The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I've had a desire to explore the seven string archtop for a long time but never could find an instrument that appealed to me functionally and aesthetically. That all changed when I saw this instrument from Mirko Borghino in Italy. I've been a little out of control in acquiring instruments from Italian American luthiers. I have a Buscarino and a Marchione in house that are a joy to play and ogle. Borghino was not a name I was familiar with but if this guitar is any indication of his talent, it is one that we will all recognize in the future. It has a blend of old and new design that you would expect from the Italian design house of Pininfarina. The woods (Italian spruce top, maple back and sides, zizicote bindings and Macassar ebony tailpiece, bridge and pick guard) are a feast for the senses. Built in 2018, this instrument sat at a broker since then with no one willing to take it home. I love the warm burst, the old school f-holes and the contemporary take on the cutout. The guitar has one foot in the past and one in the future. My guitar cabinetis full so this will be the last NGD for a while. I'm having shoulder surgery next week so I can play these beauties without pain. Well worth the effort.

Cincy

Borghino Miraggio 7-fullfront-jpegBorghino Miraggio 7-front2-jpegBorghino Miraggio 7-back-jpegBorghino Miraggio 7-cutout-jpegBorghino Miraggio 7-headfront-jpegBorghino Miraggio 7-headback-jpegBorghino Miraggio 7-neck-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'd never heard of him until your post. That's one gorgeous guitar!!

User Info Menu

Wow, beautiful!!

[whatever you do for a living, can I come work for you?!]

User Info Menu

Best of luck with your surgery!

User Info Menu

Wow, that is a really striking instrument. What a beautiful sunburst, the silhouette of the instrument is graceful and the cutaway is really quite unique, I haven't seen one quite like that on an archtop. Congratulations!

I periodically ponder trying seven string, myself, since I like George Van Eps's music so much. However, I can barely manage six strings- the seventh might melt my brain.

User Info Menu

Ooh! VERY nice!

I miss having a 7-string around, but with the exception of the pre-2012 Schecters, and the 7-string Eastmans, they all have thin necks. Also, the archtop 7-strings (with the exception of the no longer made Ibanez AF207, Ibanez AFJ957, and Schecter Jazz 7 [I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of mine]), cost more than I can afford. Oh Well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl
    Also, the archtop 7-strings (with the exception of the no longer made Ibanez AF207, Ibanez AFJ957, and Schecter Jazz 7), cost more than I can afford.
    I've been playing my AF207 since I bought it new when they first came out. The neck has enough meat for my large (size 8 1/2 - 9 gloves) hands. It was fine for 24 years with the stock DiMarzio pickup, and it's stellar with the Benedetto B7 I swapped into it earlier this year. There's almost always one or more in good shape available on the internet for anywhere from $1k to $2k USD. The jazz tone is fantastic with TI JS113s + a 0.075 Chrome 7th and 13 / 17 E / B. If you're going to buy a laminated top anyway, I don't think you get much more even for another $3K.

User Info Menu

On a roll, Cincy2! What a beauty! You're still missing two Italians from your coterie: Mirabella and Monteleone. And Moffa! Make that 3.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    On a roll, Cincy2! What a beauty! You're still missing two Italians from your coterie: Mirabella and Monteleone. And Moffa! Make that 3.
    And let's not forget Campellone!

User Info Menu

Many years ago I had an archtop built by another italian luthier, Buscarini (who is not Buscarino)
    jbv
    I don't own it anymore.

Congratulations on your new acquisition.
    I'd like to see pictures of your Marchione and Buscarino.

User Info Menu

To those interested, there is a Mirko Borghino Miraggio 7 available at cr guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    To those interested, there is a Mirko Borghino Miraggio 7 available at cr guitars.
    I'm guessing that's the OP's guitar and the site hasn't been updated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    I'm guessing that's the OP's guitar and the site hasn't been updated.
    Confirmed. Cincy2 is no more. Issues with emails and passwords. I will carry on as USNA75.

EG