The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Hi everyone hope we are all well (edit updated post with new modern options further down) beginner player really into usually playing blues stuff but lately I've been really getting into playing some Wes Montgomery an a bit of Charley Christian on an old acoustic I've got. Currently love listening to Trumpet players like chet so really into the single note stuff (if anyone has any recommendations for other guitar players to listen to Id love to hear)

I've been really hankering for an Archtop and leaning towards something vintage but getting a bit confused on the models an what would be good, don't mind V necks as my 56 avri lefty strat is a re issue with a V. Looks like there's not many modern options about apart from a godin n am i right in saying that's a pressed top?

Being lefty I'm after something none cutaway.

Been looking at the L7's and Epiphone Deluxe's which are a bit past me at the moment to get an was just wondering if there was anything anyone would recommend,

Where do the Gibson L50's stack up say compared to Epiphone Zenith or a Blackstone or Triumph?

N which years are worth avoiding / chasing in them all,

Any others I've missed that are worth checking out

finally have any other lefties converted one to play lefty or are we all playing upside down?

Thanks in advance,

Lucy
    Last edited by Lucy; 07-26-2022 at 10:26 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How much money? My L-50 was salvaged from a wreck .Still cost me about $1400 total Sound s good Play s easy. I play flipped over .Don't recomend it. Ibanez and Eastman make lefty archtops that play good and sound excellent Good bang for the buck. mickmac

User Info Menu

hello.

this dude is worth listening to as well:

Thanks Mick n filmo always great to hear others takes on stuff I'm in the UK so probably about 2k gbp unless I wait n save up for an L7.

Wow loving Grants stuff really ace! Thanks for sharing.

Another question as well are there any bracing types which would be better suited to restringing lefty?

Thanks in advance,

Lucy

User Info Menu

I own a few vintage Epiphone archtops(Triumph('36); two Spartans('34/'35); one Zenith('35)) and have owned many others. I've owned on L-50('37), and have a National 1135/Gibson L-7('48). I like playing acoustic archtop.

My various Epiphones have excellent 'cut', especially playing rhythm. My National/Gibson seems to have the best 'cut' and projection of them all. The variety of Epiphone Zeniths and Blackstones that I've played have been uniformly excellent, and are a relative bargin, although most needed some degree of repair and/or setup to play their best. The L-50 I owned was pleasant, and fun to play, but lacked the projection of the Epiphones. I did major restoration to what I think was a wartime L-50: that was a better sounding and louder guitar. Pre-war Gibsons tended to have v-necks, but not Epiphones.

You mention Wes Montgomery and Charlie Christian: they of course were playing electrified archtops, where much of the sound(and all the volume) comes from the pickup. Perhaps you should consider something like a Gibson ES-125?

I have a Facebook page, David Richard Luthier, where I've posted videos of my demo-ing many different acoustic archtops, which I've repaired and setup: those videos might help in your consideration of an acoustic archtop.

Best of luck on your search...mine is ongoing!

Hii Dave thanks for such a detailed reply super appreciated I'll check your Facebook page out

I was actually hoping to get an es series of some sort (don't know enough yet about the different ones) or maybe a lefty godin as well at some point. Still learning about all those it's so fascinating learning about all the different options what would be the best option to convert to lefty or just play strung right but flipped upside down I can play both ways as I used to borrow an old yamaha of my dads while I learnt lefty strung lefty as well.

I'm really into vintage stuff (ride a 1920s flat tank motorcycle) hence I think a big interest in the acoustic archtops love experiencing history + it'd be something I could treasure n something that'd be really different to my strat and 1999 lefty epiphone les paul which are my main guitars.

Still very much learning how to play but it's such a fun experience.

I've been putting some of my thumblings about on my instagram lucyplaythatbluesguitar I know I know the name was before I started getting into jazz recent convert

I read somewhere Wes played an recorded one of his albums with an L7 at one point? Just waiting on the autobiography book coming later this week.

Was thinking of a floating pickup on an acoustic archtop if I went that direction

User Info Menu

(Not a left handed person, so I can not be of any help. Since you mentioned Chet Baker, that always makes me think of Stan Getz and Art Pepper. ... I guess that is perhaps considered the west cost sound (including Paul Desmond... and who is that panio player, I think he made a little money... just joking).

User Info Menu

There are many options for converting a RH to a LH guitar. A few things to consider. Non cut models are more suited to convert as is looks not silly to have the pickguard and the cutaway on top. Second is, if you ever think of amplification, select an archtop that has an elevated fretboard. By doing that, there is almost always enough space for a neck pickup of your choice. I once bought a non cutaway 50s L4 and found out later there was not enough space for a DeArmond right underneatch the fretboard end...

Thanks St.bede I'll give them a listen it's super interesting learning about stuff I'd say at the moment my fav tracks are, round midnight by wes Live in Belgium 1966.

Four on six, Bumpin, day of wine and roses, rainy day all the lead sections on those, solo flight and pretty much all of Wes's and really love stuff like almost blue by Chet been really enjoying Grant Greens idle moments album after the suggestion really my sort of stuff.

Thanks hotpepper great tips I hadn't thought about that with the elevated fretboard an damn thats got to suck the l4 still an awesome guitar though

Was thinking that sticking to the models that are none cutaway.

Thanks again

User Info Menu

You mentioned Zeniths - I have a '45 Zenith that we had restored, and I love it to bits! Took a while to find a case - the lower bout is sizeable - but it is a wonderful acoustic archtop! Compares favorably with my '48 L-48 Gibson. I also have a '35-ish Kalamazoo with an enormous vee-neck that has great tone and it's own mojo. Very happy with all of them!

Thanks Citizen great to hear really interesting hearing from everyone thats got experience of the different models

User Info Menu

Hi Lucy - I am one of the few lefties on this board, and I'm very happy to see a post from a new lefty member.

I have two vintage hollowbody guitars that were expertly converted to lefty. They are priceless to me because they took me years and years to find and they are totally unique. But I could never recommend that anyone take as much time as I did to find those guitars. Guitar buying for us it is a FAR more time-consuming and frustrating activity than it is for righties, and I like practicing a lot more than I like shopping.

Converting a non-cutaway hollowbody is easy if you have a good luthier, but it's still expensive and time-consuming, and how can you possibly know that a particular vintage guitar is worth renovating if you can't properly play it first?

For that reason my strategy has been to first find something that is available and affordable, so I can enjoy a particular sound and feel right away (hollow, semi-hollow, thinline, full-depth, etc.), and then wait for my "dream" version of the given design to arrive eventually (or build it).

With that in mind, if you dig Grant Green and are comfortable with a 1 3/4" nut width, the Eastman T64 is first-rate. Likewise the Eastman ES 175 copy, if you can get past the fact that it doesn't sound like an ES 175 (it has its own thing). If you want a full-depth hollowbody and don't care about a cutaway, the Godin is highly recommended and much less expensive. If you don't mind a poly finish and some possible hardware issues (again, this is just a stopgap instrument), there are myriad Ibanez models available in lefty that cover the major jazz guitar designs. If you're like me and you can't stand a poly finish, Ibanez makes a cheap satin-finished hollowbody in lefty. Someone on this board upgraded one of those into a beautiful sounding instrument.

You can easily buy one of these, get down to playing jazz, and then spend years like I did hunting down your heirloom jazz guitar (that none of your heirs will be able to play because it's lefty) .

Just my two cents. Good luck!

Thanks Conch ^_^ I remember when I got my 56 american vintage reissue lefty Strat it was so funny as no one could play it when they looked at it.

Really great advice I'd say im not really into polly got a few an the nitro strat just got me firmly into the Nitro camp as I love the way they wear an sound.

Been having a look about an I'd say im leaning towards a full depth archtop. I'll have to check the Godin an the satin Ibanez out though!

I did see the modern Epi's archtops with the Peizo pickups but didn't know to much about them know they arnt carved tops though which is a shame.

Lots to think about an really appreciating everyone's advice

I'd say at the moment my sort of mini list of interest guitar wise is all none cutaway
    Gibson l7 (ideal)
    Epiphone Triumph
    Epiphone Deluxe (probs a bit to pricey for now)
    Epiphone Zenith

How does the Zenith compare to say a Century or Blackstone?

Or an es of some sort or the godin with the p90 lefty, really interesting learning.

I'll check the ones out you've mentioned

User Info Menu

Welcome Lucy Lefty. "Vintage" is a can of worms you'll be wise to avoid, especially as you are new to guitars. We are currently living in a golden age of really well made and affordable guitars. Ibanez, Eastman, Peerless all make left handed instruments that are well constructed and sound great.
    Good luck.

Hi Whiskey thanks for taking the time to reply it's always great to get a variety of opinions and advice that's for sure

Up to now the lefties I've seen about in the UK are the godin with the p90, n I did see a Joe pass epi a few weeks back that went on ebay which I belive was based on the emperor?

I've seen a few of the re issue modern masterbilt Zenith n Deluxes but am I right in saying those are a laminated top read mixed things as well? Was having a read through some old posts on here. From a budget point of view some of those seemed good especially if I've gotta restring it new nut etc rather than doing that to something vintage I have done that on my epiphone les paul after a shop screwed it on a setup n learnt how to inotate it Enjoyed learning how to do that

I just stumbled on the d'angelico excel but wasn't to familiar with the modern ones belive those come left handed to which caught my eye not seen any in the uk though.

I think my fav sound is Wes on the Round midnight recording in 65 an the incredible jazz guitar album love in your own sweet way.

I guess my dream tone is the L5 such a shame Gibson don't do any modern lefties for us which then lead me onto the L7 none cutaway an then onto some of the older Epiphones as a more cost effective option was mainly looking at the Zenith n the Triumph an l50s as I'd seen a few about but then I did spot a few Blackstones as well all were post war apart from one l7 I saw that was just out of budget. I guess I'm trying to get as close an approximation to those records n a tone of a l5 as budget will allow.

Love the tone on SoloFlight as well with Charlie's Es125 (I think) an his pickup.

Thanks again to everyone thats been replying its super interesting

Could be an idea to get something modern n more budget friendly to learn on n compliment what I've got currently n then look at a vintage guitar as well. I am a sucker for vintage stuff though that's for sure love the connection with history.

Lucy lefty

User Info Menu

(There are some really great used higher end Ibanez floating around. I have both Am205 and PM100. I think I payed about 1500$ for each of them. I have seen both of them priced higher more recently. Both are excellent, and I do not have the same worries as if had some old uber priced Gib. Eventually as you build your chops and approach, you will know what you need, and so far in my life, if I am really patient, I will eventually come across a good guitar at a decent price).

User Info Menu

Be very careful with old Epi's I have owned two pre war Triumph's One Emperorer. All three needed fret job s. Two needed neck sets. I have two Eastman archtops . A372 and a503 .Bothe fine guitars. Nitro finished. mickmac

Thanks Mickmac appreciate the reply I'll have to have a look at some eastmans as well noticed they did some really nice looking lefties has anyone had one of the recent masterbilt epis that they did the Zenith or Deluxe ?

Thanks in advance,

Lucy

User Info Menu

One not on your list of possible oldies: Guild X50.

This was Guild's take on the old ES-125 formula. A one P90 archtop, laminate maple construction. The X50 is similar to the non-cutaway ES-125, has some significant differences too. Slightly larger body width, 16 1/4". And shallower by 1/2 inch than the 3 1/4" deep Gibson. And what looks like a P90 is a "Franz" single coil.

If you can find a good one, you might well be amazed at the quality and tone. Mine is a '62. Outstanding instrument!

Thanks Mad Dog ill stick those on the list

Hiya everyone ^^ just wanna say I hope we all having a great week n thanks for the advice so far been thinking about what everyone's been saying n it's really great advice so think I'm gonna go for new or nearly new first get something reliable then look for a vintage guitar later.

Been having a look about lefty n saw the following modern

Ibanez af55 - lefty 350 gbp
    Gretch new yorker rh 400-500 gbp
    Epiphone masterbilt Zenith few years old 300-400gbp
    Epiphione masterbilt Deluxe few years old 700gbp
    Godin 5th avenue with the p90 lefty 700gbp new
    Godin none cutaway without a pickup righty 400gbp

Saw a Joe pass epi lefty for 400gbp to

D'angelico Exel exl-1 lefty 1500usd not seen uk pricing yet

The other guitars I've seen about are eastmans but not sure what the lefty equivalent l5 or l7 ish one would be

N Peerless lefties but I've not seen any in the uk

After that saw a used epi Blackstone from the 40s for 1100 gbp.

Just wondering out of the modern stuff has anyone played any on the list or compared any of them. Not sure how the ones under 700gbp all stack up against each other.

Huge thanks in advance.

Lucy

User Info Menu

get a real guitar, not a guitar shaped object like a Epi Joe Pass in example.

I had one of these, bought it cheap, played it for 2 minutes and sold it on, what a POS that is.

get something vintage, there are no "issues" with vintage stuff, that is a fairytale.

get my ES-125 i.e., that is a wonderful guitar in every sense.

or follow the advice of a professional like Chuck Rythm man, and get an offbrand guitar from Gibson.

I don't like mondays ( cheap guitars )

the whole day down.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

From the guitars you mentioned, I would choose the epiphone joe pass. It's priced right, you can sell it down the road if you like to get something else later, and it covers every jazz base for a beginner/intermediate player. Second choice would be a godin.

Most vintage guitars are very specific, they do one thing well, but you have to know exactly what you're after, or risk getting an expensive guitar that may disappoint you. Old instruments also often have problems or need repairs that you have to be able to spot beforehand.

For someone starting into jazz.. better to get obsessed with the music rather than the instrument! Get something cheap that sounds good to you and plays great in the style, and enjoy it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    get a real guitar, not a guitar shaped object like a Epi Joe Pass in example.

I had one of these, bought it cheap, played it for 2 minutes and sold it on, what a POS that is.

get something vintage, there are no "issues" with vintage stuff, that is a fairytale.

Maybe you got a dud......
    I have a 2019 Epi JP Emperor II PRO, hands down one of best guitars I've ever played.
    Bought an Epi Dot 20 years ago and swore off the brand, had crappy frets, worse hardware and even worse assembly. Had to replace most of the parts.

I'd heard Epi was stepping up their game of late and my Epi JP would agree. Very well built, hardware seems to be of equal quality to my Gibsons, and finish is better than most Gibson's (I love Gibby's but their finishing can be not so great on occasion). Epi is poly not nitro, but I can live with that.

I setup my own guitars and like very low action with an almost straight neck, which usually means I have to do a fret leveling, was expecting the same with my Epi JP, but instead got it down low and no fret buzz anywhere. My Gibby Custom Shop 355 has same height action and even it has a slight rattle when digging in on the low end, unlike the Epi JP.

I got an Ibanez AG95, same price point as the Epi JP and had to do a full fret level and basically rebuild the bridge/TOM (it was seized solid) to get the action I like.

As for vintage, I've had a few and yeah buyer beware, one really needs to know what to look out for.