The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    Thanks!
    Assuming the guitar being played by Bill is also the guitar in the still photographs featured in the video, it’s the exact guitar at archtop.com.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakePearlman
    Assuming the guitar being played by Bill is also the guitar in the still photographs featured in the video, it’s the exact guitar at archtop.com.
    Sounds real nice!

I just got on the preview list. Someone keeps beating me to it each time I find a guitar I like on archtop.com...

It looks like this guitar may have sold several times. It was on Reverb in the past.

If this doesn't pan out. I hope to try some Victor Baker guitars in person as I travel up the coast.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Andersen Streamline 16 Gloss Lacquer | Reverb

Andersen Streamline for sale for $4000.

User Info Menu

NGD for an Andersen I recently expedited for a friend. IMO, 2022 pricing was a long time ago.
    Spectacular acoustic sound as well as as-expected electric sound.
    As good as it gets.

-25" scale
    -1 11/16" nut width;
    -17" wide;
    -3" deep;
    -Kent Armstrong pickup;
    -fuck-off Cedar Creek case.
    Attached Images Attached Images Andersen archtops?-andersen-17_8277-jpg Andersen archtops?-andersen-17_8284-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    NGD for an Andersen I recently expedited for a friend. IMO, 2022 pricing was a long time ago.
    Spectacular acoustic sound as well as as-expected electric sound.
    As good as it gets.

-25" scale
    -1 11/16" nut width;
    -17" wide;
    -3" deep;
    -Kent Armstrong pickup;
    -fuck-off Cedar Creek case.
    Congratulations! I have one and it is the finest I have ever played. I hope your friend loves it!
    Last edited by charleyrich99; 03-11-2024 at 11:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Hammertone, please add me to your expedited friends list!
    That's a beauty.

Steve Andersen built some of the best archtops on the planet! My radar is always on for them, and when I see them I get excited and other guitars in my home get nervous that they might have to move out.

User Info Menu

Happy to help you get into a lovely archtop anytime.

This particular Andersen has the best acoustic voice I have encountered among the several Andersens that I have
    had the good luck to play over the years. I compared it to a few similar deep-bodied 17" carved archtops that I have, from other makers, and it was quite similar in terms of volume, with a slight EQ tilt to the bass side. Punchy without being barky, warm without being muddy, with a pleasing if not brilliant treble response. And, of course, with the timbre, resonance, and attack/decay characteristics of a carved, arched, hollow-body, solid-wood instrument, something that cannot be duplicated by any other kind of guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Happy to help you get into a lovely archtop anytime.

This particular Andersen has the best acoustic voice I have encountered among the several Andersens that I have
    had the good luck to play over the years. I compared it to a few similar deep-bodied 17" carved archtops that I have, from other makers, and it was quite similar in terms of volume, with a slight EQ tilt to the bass side. Punchy without being barky, warm without being muddy, with a pleasing if not brilliant treble response. And, of course, with the timbre, resonance, and attack/decay characteristics of a carved, arched, hollow-body, solid-wood instrument, something that cannot be duplicated by any other kind of guitar.
    How does it compare to your super 400c?

User Info Menu

I compared the Andersen to a few guitars with significant similarities in terms of form factor:
    -17" Gibsellone Award (Mark Campellone/Gibson), 3 1/8" rims, x-braced, 25 1/2" scale;
    -17" Gibson 2004 L-7C, 3 3/8" rims, x braced, 24 3/4" scale;
    -17 1/2" Heritage Super Patrick, 3 1/4" rims, x-braced, 25 3/8" scale;
    -18" Heritage Super Eagle, 3" rims, x-braced, 25 1/2" scale;
    -17" Campellone oval hole, 3 3/8" rims, parallel-braced, 25 1/2" scale;
    -17" Hofner Chancellor, 3" rims, parallel braced, 25 1/4" scale;
    -17" Roger Super, 3 3/8" rims, parallel-braced, 24 13/16" scale.

I did not bother comparing it to my 1937 Gibson Super 400, because they are so far apart in terms of design. The only other guitars I have ever compared to the '37 S-400 are:
    -'35 S-400, formerly owned by Ed Bickert;
    -@'40 D'Angelico New Yorker;
    -late-'30s John Abbott Sr. "Super Faux-Hundred";
    -18" Heritage Super Eagle, 3" rims, x-braced, 25 1/2" scale.

User Info Menu

Many (most?) Andersons, as fine a guitar as they are, are modest unassuming appearing guitars. (Less bindings, inlays, etc.) While that doesn't affect me at all, many people look for that bling in a jazz archtops, no matter how nicely a guitar plays or sounds. For example, in the Gibson world: Price of a vintage S400 vs a S300 ; and a recent L5CES vs an L5 Studio. Pretty much same basic guitars. But for many, sales success and price reflect the desire for the bling. Again, I am not knocking Anderson. The one smaller version I had the opportunity to play was awesome. Deep and resonant, especially for its smaller size.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 03-13-2024 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

About 6 mo. Ago.
    Fantastic instrument in all respects. Some very seasoned players and guitar officianado's (besides me) have played it and are similarly impressed. I'm biased of course, but since it entered the compound I've had to be sure to play the other's some. It really is a fine instrument.
    Andersen archtops?-20240313_142848-jpg
    Andersen archtops?-20240313_143022-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Many (most?) Andersons, as fine a guitar as they are, are modest unassuming appearing guitars. (Less bindings, inlays, etc.) While that doesn't affect me at all, many people look for that bling in a jazz archtops, no matter how nicely a guitar plays or sounds. For example, in the Gibson world: Price of a vintage S400 vs a S300 ; and a recent L5CES vs an L5 Studio. Pretty much same basic guitars. But for many, sales success and price reflect the desire for the bling. Again, I am not knocking Anderson. The one smaller version I had the opportunity to play was awesome. Deep and resonant, especially for its smaller size.
    And then there are these.
    http://bobmartin1111.com/AndersenECR/AndersenECR1.JPG

Redirect Notice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    About 6 mo. Ago.
    Fantastic instrument in all respects. Some very seasoned players and guitar officianado's (besides me) have played it and are similarly impressed. I'm biased of course, but since it entered the compound I've had to be sure to play the other's some. It really is a fine instrument.
    Andersen archtops?-20240313_142848-jpg
    Andersen archtops?-20240313_143022-jpg
    Man… that is sweet.