The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Well some interesting gossip at least.

I was visiting the Lidgett Guitar Shop in Council Bluffs, IA, for the first time in a long time. Owner Rob Schlautman is a Gibson dealer with a fair number of LPs and 335s, in addition to acoustics. He said that Gibson has told him they will restart the 175 soon.

Apparently COVID put a damper on their plans and pushed it out til ‘23 or maybe longer. Their master plan is to revamp all their lines—LP, 335, acoustic, etc., then revamp the archies last. Rob didn’t know of any particular archtops they were going to put into production other than the 175.

He feels Gibson is run pretty well these days compared to the late Henry era. He also mentioned guitar sales have been through the roof over the last 2 years—a good time to be in the guitar selling biz.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Well some interesting gossip at least.

I was visiting the Lidgett Guitar Shop in Council Bluffs, IA, for the first time in a long time. Owner Rob Schlautman is a Gibson dealer with a fair number of LPs and 335s, in addition to acoustics. He said that Gibson has told him they will restart the 175 soon.

Apparently COVID put a damper on their plans and pushed it out til ‘23 or maybe longer. Their master plan is to revamp all their lines—LP, 335, acoustic, etc., then revamp the archies last. Rob didn’t know of any particular archtops they were going to put into production other than the 175.

He feels Gibson is run pretty well these days compared to the late Henry era. He also mentioned guitar sales have been through the roof over the last 2 years—a good time to be in the guitar selling biz.
    I think a lot of people took up (or revisited) the guitar during the shutdowns and that along with all of the printed money has caused an uptick in guitar prices.

I suspect that the classic Gibson archtops (175, L-5 and Super 400) will all be made again in small quantities and will remain expensive. Gibson guitars are like real estate. The best time to buy? Yesterday.

User Info Menu

Just my guess, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do what they did with the Chuck Berry signature. Limited quantity, obscene price. Maybe a Steve Howe 175 lol?
    8,000$ at least. Maybe we start a pool?!
    Sorry, but I just can’t trust them anymore.

User Info Menu

I will tell you what that 2022 L-5 I just got has the best quality build out of all my Gibson’s. They can still do it big time if you have the $.

User Info Menu

So probably not a good time to buy an oldie at the current prices if they are going to reintroduce them!?? (Like I just have).

User Info Menu

I was in Nashville last week and was told by a guy in Gibson management that some of the equipment needed for archtops had a very long delay in getting moved from Memphis to Nashville. I suppose that would only apply to laminated guitars since that’s all they did in Memphis. He also had indicated that some were in the pipeline. He also seemed like kind of a bs’er too though, so I’m not sure about how much stock to put into that.

User Info Menu

Matt from Gibson has an ongoing Q&A thread going over at the LP Forum. One of the questions was about Gibson's archtop upcoming production. The ES-175 is returning. But the big news is as follows:

Here's his response: "We are going to be assembling a Historic Reissue collection of archtops (for the first time), starting in a year or so with the 1957 L-5CES available with Alnico Staple or Humbucking pickups..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I was in Nashville last week and was told by a guy in Gibson management that some of the equipment needed for archtops had a very long delay in getting moved from Memphis to Nashville. I suppose that would only apply to laminated guitars since that’s all they did in Memphis. He also had indicated that some were in the pipeline. He also seemed like kind of a bs’er too though, so I’m not sure about how much stock to put into that.

Yes, the Memphis move should only apply to the laminated guitars. That could explain no new 175s, ES Les Pauls, 275s and such since Memphis shut down.

L5s, Super 400s and other carved archies would come out of the Custom shop in Nashville. From what we've seen they have been building a few of those. Someone just posted a new 2022 L5 on here recently.

From their comments in some of the recent factory tour videos, I'd guess they are also struggling to fill the backorders from the last few years and a freeze on taking new orders would make sense.

My other guess is that they are so busy with backorders for 335s they don't want to reset any of the machines to do 175s, 275s and such. From what I saw in the Memphis factory 335s, 175s, 275s, and other laminated archies can all be made on the same equipment.

My opinions of course, that and 6 bucks will get you something yummy at Dutch Bros.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Matt from Gibson has an ongoing Q&A thread going over at the LP Forum. One of the questions was about Gibson's archtop upcoming production. The ES-175 is returning. But the big news is as follows:

Here's his response: "We are going to be assembling a Historic Reissue collection of archtops (for the first time), starting in a year or so with the 1957 L-5CES available with Alnico Staple or Humbucking pickups..."
    An L5 with P90s or Alnicos would be quite tempting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    An L5 with P90s or Alnicos would be quite tempting.

Gibson L-5 CES Alnico | eBay

no waiting.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    is there an Epiphone option? I’m going to have to play a LOT of $75 gigs to get to $10k.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    is there an Epiphone option? I’m going to have to play a LOT of $75 gigs to get to $10k.
    I would not take a $10K guitar to a $75 gig. But then again, I would not take a $75 gig. I need at least $100 to leave the house with a guitar in hand and at that price it has to be a fun gig with cats I enjoy playing with.

It is 2022 guys. Demand a fair wage to provide live music for the venues out there. If they cannot afford it, they should not get the music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Wow that’s a beauty!

I applaud Gibson making any kind of archtop guitars but I hope they would make regular production guitars in decent numbers like the 175, at a “reasonable price.” Granted that’s subjective, but I would hope not over $5K.

Historically, 175s actually tracked pretty close to LPs, which now run close to $3K.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I would not take a $10K guitar to a $75 gig. But then again, I would not take a $75 gig. I need at least $100 to leave the house with a guitar in hand and at that price it has to be a fun gig with cats I enjoy playing with.

It is 2022 guys. Demand a fair wage to provide live music for the venues out there. If they cannot afford it, they should not get the music.
    I haven’t even been paid money since I’ve come back to playing. It’s a hard game to break into, let alone twice.