The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A question about wiring for a tele with 2 single pu´s and a 4 way Grigsby switch. I have seen several wiring schemes for this combination of switch and pu´s. In preparation for this post I have found basically 3 variants though I believe I have seen others. They are below:

1. The .047 uF cap is soldered from the middle lug of the the tone pot to the tone pots back cover.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/images...S_4B_1V_1T.jpg

2. The .047 uFcap is soldered between the outside lug on the tone pot to its back side. (This is however a 3 way switch)

https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.ne...g%20Wiring.pdf

3.The .047 uF cap is soldered from the outside lug of the volume pot to the middle lug of the tone pot. An additional .001uF cap is soldered between the middle volume pot and the outside lug of the volume pot.
    Oak Grigsby 4-way 2-pole Lever Switch Instructions - StewMac

Are there any members that have knowledge about wiring? What are the expected differences in the alternatives above? Is there a difference, or just different ways of getting the signal out? I presently do not have access to a soldering iron now but would like to orient myself before the deed.

ps we do not have to discuss the effect of capacitors of various values as I am familiar with this part of the electric circuit.

Thanks in advance

0zoro
    Last edited by 0zoro; 07-10-2022 at 06:49 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you dont get an ocean of answers here, try tdpri forum

User Info Menu

Thanks Johan

User Info Menu

Sounds like variants of "modern" and "50s" wiring. There are a raft of websites discussing this is excruciating detail. Basically, with modern wiring the volume control also affects tone, with 50s wiring the tone knobs has some effect on volume. I prefer modern wiring myself, but a lot of this is cork sniffing.

User Info Menu

Thanks Cunamara, any suggestions as to where those conversations takes place?

User Info Menu

The cap across the volume is a treble bleed. Normally, turning the volume down results in treble loss, and the cap (together with the volume pot) is a high-pass filter which shunts highs directly to the output. Some people like this, some don’t.

The three layouts are just different ways to put a cap between the guitar output and ground.

The Duncan diagram connects the input of the volume pot to a tone pot wired as a variable resistor. The middle lug (output) is wired to ground. Since a tone control is just a high-pass filter to ground, changing the tone setting changes how much of the high end is grounded. The Dimarzio is the same thing, with the lugs reversed. If the tone pot is audio taper (which is specified on the DiMarzio, but unknown on the Duncan) it will affect how the pot reacts. With a linear taper pot it shouldn’t make a difference. The Oak diagram is functionally the same as the Duncan, other than the treble bleed.

A Tele is particularly easy to experiment - just let the control panel hang out and use leads with alligator clips to try out variations. Decide which one sounds best to you.

Try not to get caught up in cap type and spend big bucks on vintage caps - the value is far more important, and tolerances are typically 20% for caps, so unless you have actually measured the cap’s value, you don’t really know what it is. There are differences in tone for caps, but only as you approach the rated limit, which will never happen with guitar output.

Steven
    Last edited by stevo58; 07-11-2022 at 03:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Steven. For one who does not really understand electrons running within wire, and have the whole question compounded by the three prongs of a pot, this was almost within my grasp. Good explanation. In other words, just different ways on producing the same result.