The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

STEALTH
    – AttakPik

I bought a 6-pack of these. Took me two seconds to realize, "Nope, never gonna happen."
    They're bigger than Jazz IIIs and somehow feel bigger than they are.
    Highly beveled and a sharp point: I can see how they might suit someone. Just not me.
    Anyone using these?

Stealth Picks (from Acoustik Attak)-img_8304-jpgStealth Picks (from Acoustik Attak)-img_8305-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like the format - grippy holes are a great idea - but I would definitely blunt that speed tip a good bit. My ideal tip would be a perfect hemisphere. Couldn't access the link. How much do these babies run?

User Info Menu

$11 for 6. Plus shipping. Note that there is also a small point at the top, which might be more what you prefer. I'll pass. I've found that carbon fiber is not the ideal pick material for me.

User Info Menu

D'Andrea ProPlec 351s are my standard, but I've been trying (and liking) Dunlop Jazztone 207s to get a slightly richer, more mellow jazz tone on my Tele 7. Those AttakPics look similar in size and shape to the 207 Jazztones, but I don't like sharp edges and points on my picks. I wonder if the carbon fiber content makes them less flexible and/or harder to reshape. Other than oversized, how do they feel in comparison with other pick materials?

Stealth Picks (from Acoustik Attak)-58280b322fa9a618072dd118ec673f7c_380x380-jpg

User Info Menu

Hi

I bought a a three pack from Acoustic Attak Pik. In my long quest for the perfect Jazz pick, I had high hopes for these as the maker claims it is the best pick you’ll own. Unfortunately, my hopes were shattered. I’m not sure these are any good for any style of playing. They are not very good picks. They have a cheapness about them and the concave grip forces you to hold the pick a certain way. They make a thin plastic sound on 10 to 46 round wound D’Addario strings. They are not worth the time or money. The Dunlop Jazz III variants blow it away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sicourtjon
    the maker claims it is the best pick you’ll own.
    What maker doesn't?

I'm glad your post called me back to this thread and my 207 post from about 18 months ago. It's nice to know I'm consistent. I still love the sound of the Jazztones, but I couldn't get used to the larger size. So I was happily using Proplecs when they started to warp. I'd discounted the posts here about that, since I hadn't experienced any problems. But once I got a warped one, I realized that I'd mixed a fresh batch with the older ones in my pick dish. - and the posts were correct.

So I started the search again. I tried red nylon Jazz 2s and liked the tone and feel but disliked the fast wear and somewhat delicate edge. After a few more brands were recommended by various JGO members, I finally found Dunlop 204s few weeks ago. They have the same warm, mellow tone as 207s (and maybe even a bit more so than Proplecs) but in a 351 form and I love them. Unfortunately, it appears that Dunlop is not making the Jazztone line any more. So I bought a bag of 24 after trying a 6 pack. Hopefully, 30 will last me for a long time.

Stealth Picks (from Acoustik Attak)-dunlop_204-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    What maker doesn't?

... I still love the sound of the Jazztones, but I couldn't get used to the [207's] larger size. ... I finally found Dunlop 204s few weeks ago. They have the same warm, mellow tone as 207s (and maybe even a bit more so than Proplecs) but in a 351 form and I love them. Unfortunately, it appears that Dunlop is not making the Jazztone line any more. So I bought a bag of 24 after trying a 6 pack. ...
    I am ever the panicker, and seem to have a predilection for things that go out of production. When Gibson stopped making the GG50 "Star" pick (the teardrop 347 shape), I bought a bunch.

Lately I've been using Dunlop 207s and sometimes 204s, so now I just ordered a bag each of 207s and 204s from JustStrings.com. We'll see what happens.

Awhile back I did some informal testing of a bunch of different guitar picks of various sizes, materials, and shapes. Within the limits of my testing, which wasn't rigorous, I concluded that shape of the tip is the main contributor to the tone of a pick, with stiffness next, and finally (not a close third) material. I'm guessing it has to do with the friction regime of how the pick lets go of the string.

I'll drop a note if that vendor was able to supply me with some picks.