The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

I currently use Ernie Ball Slinky (10s) on my Classic Vibe Tele and whilst I love the tone ( the only one of my five guitars with roundwounds ) I do find them a little light under the fingers. Does anyone here have a recommendation for 11s? I have the vintage slotted tuners on there so anything by Thomastik ( much as I love them ) with the silky windings would be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

David

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use round wound 11's on my Teles.....but with an unwound G.

....and regular round wound 12's and sometimes 13's on my electric hollowbodys and acoustic archtops.
    I guess its because I tend to play the same way on the solid bodies and am looking for a similar feel.

User Info Menu

These have great tone, a smooth feel and are very long lasting. Not the cheapest, but they’ll last longer than Slinkys.

I like to replace the 11 and 14 with 12 and 15, but if you’re looking for a versatile set of 11s, these are great.

Pyramid Monel Classics 11-48 at Strings by Mail

Round wound 11s on a Tele anyone?-99267fff-fc8b-4a25-bcd9-50f508fee10d-jpeg

User Info Menu

I like Stringjoy rounds -- and nothing wrong with 11's on a tele!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    I currently use Ernie Ball Slinky (10s).......Does anyone here have a recommendation for 11s?
    Ernie Ball Slinky 11s ?

User Info Menu

I’ve been liking John Pearse 2600s the last couple of years.

User Info Menu

I currently use Ernie Ball Slinky (10s) on my Classic Vibe Tele and whilst I love the tone ( the only one of my five guitars with roundwounds ) I do find them a little light under the fingers. Does anyone here have a recommendation for 11s? I have the vintage slotted tuners on there so anything by Thomastik ( much as I love them ) with the silky windings would be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

David
    I use them on my G&l ASAT which is a later day Tele. Dadarrio pure nickel 11-48 strings... Sounds great!

User Info Menu

SIT 11-50. Comes with both wound and plain G string. Nice consistent tone, well balanced.

User Info Menu

Mostly Ernie Ball, but sometimes SIT, D’Addario, always trying different 11-50 sets.

User Info Menu

Right now, Pyramid Pure Nickels 11-48. They are even labelled „Jazz“.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Yes, flats work well and I use Thomastic on mine. As far as 10´s or 11´s are concerned it is more a question of how your finger muscles and joints are up to the 11´s. I have tried 11´s and find that I loose playing time as they tire my hands. As far as tone is concerned I have not heard much difference in tone.

User Info Menu

Thanks to all and for varied recommendations.

David

User Info Menu

If you want dull and smokey go for pure nickels, if you want spank and livelly go for elixirs

User Info Menu

Good tip - thanks.

David

User Info Menu

+1 on the D'Adarrio Pure Nickel 11-48 on my Telecaster

User Info Menu

Is that plain or wound 3rd on the PN115 (?) sets?

Thanks

David

User Info Menu

Is that plain or wound 3rd on the PN115 (?) sets?

Thanks

David
    Plain G

User Info Menu

Stringjoy Broadways. I have 11s on my 335 and 275, 10s on my Strat. Great strings IMO.

User Info Menu

Many thanks.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    Dadarrio pure nickel 11-48 strings... Sounds great!
    This!

User Info Menu

Try those Ernie Ball Power Slinkys,(11-48). I have used them for decades on all my electrics, (Telecaster, Stratocaster, ES-330 and ES-335). Don´t go looking for a jazzy tone though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    +1 on the D'Adarrio Pure Nickel 11-48 on my Telecaster
    I have a 26 year old Tele that I had a Warmoth neck installed as well as a 57 classic in the neck position and these are the best strings for jazz I have found so far. I use Thomastiks on my Sadowsky but they sound to dead on the Tele.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpoodle
    I have a 26 year old Tele that I had a Warmoth neck installed as well as a 57 classic in the neck position and these are the best strings for jazz I have found so far. I use Thomastiks on my Sadowsky but they sound to dead on the Tele.
    Soccerpoodle, this is so weird. I have a Sadowsky Jim Hall and use TI flat wounds on it. I tried them once on my Tele and went back to the D'Addarios right away. I thought I would love them--like I do on my SJH and Heritage 575, may favorite strings ever--but they just didn't work for me on the Tele. I'm sure for other cats they are the meow. Funny how these choices are so personal, isn't it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Soccerpoodle, this is so weird. I have a Sadowsky Jim Hall and use TI flat wounds on it. I tried them once on my Tele and went back to the D'Addarios right away. I thought I would love them--like I do on my SJH and Heritage 575, may favorite strings ever--but they just didn't work for me on the Tele. I'm sure for other cats they are the meow. Funny how these choices are so personal, isn't it?
    Totally agree. I like the subtle sustain the D'Addarios give me. It makes playing the Tele fun and different from the Sadowsky.

User Info Menu

I've had the best luck with D'Addario EXL115s, on all my teles for the last 20 years. .011s on teles are not a huge step up in terms of how tight or hard to bend, vs. .010s I mean. But there is a difference. I'm having some left hand problems, so today I put .010s on a tele for the first time in many years. Maybe it'll help.