The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi everybody,
    I'd like to introduce you to my main amp for more than a year now, built by a tech on my specs.

Custom build based on an AB763 Twin Reverb. As I play a lot of jazz, i decided to call it the Swing Reverb !

Here what i had in mind when i contacted the builder.

MODS - Differences with original AB763 Twin :
    50W instead of 85W ( 2*6L6s instead of 4 tubes )
    Tremolo deleted ( i have no use of it, so let's. save weight and cost ! )
    Normal channel revoiced. Mostly following RobRob's lead channel mod, to have a gainier option/pedal platform channel
    Effects loop
    4, 8 and 16 ohms output
    Line out ( in order to directly record or send signal to PA )
    Reverb ( based on Tone King's amps circuit, a lovely reverb ! ) active for both channels
    3 way switch to select Negative Feedback ( Regular, Less or More )
    A "punch" switch to emulate a tube rectifier
    Master volume ( PPIMV )

Now let's see the parts used :
    Preamp Tube : NOS Mullard Heerlen
    Power Tubes : JJ's 6L6GC
    Sozo Blue condensators
    Xicon resistors
    F&T capacitors
    Bourns HRT pots
    Hammond Transfos
    MOD reverb tank

And some pictures !

I don't have any record of it played in a jazz style, here's a clip i made for a company that asks me to test guitars, in a blues style. I used a Stratocaster on the vintage channel and a Klone pedal setted on low gain.
    ( Sorry for facebook link, can't find out how to uplade videos here )
    Sound may not be the best, first due to playing ( sound is in the fingers !! ), to facebook compression and also because i recorded it with the line out directly in the DAW, without any effects ( not even a cab simulator, i'm really bad with DAW )

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice clip

User Info Menu

Beautiful amp! It brings to mind the Pro reverb, which is pretty close to the AB763 schematic and only has two power tubes, 40 watts, etc..

User Info Menu

Very cool amp!

User Info Menu

Nice! Curious what output transformer you specified and why. (Cause i built a couple of amps and played around with various output Xformers.)
    jk

User Info Menu

Very cool amp! Looks similar to what Fat Jimmy makes in some respects, or the Louis Electric versions. Both have feedback controls.

I have the Fat Jimmy Gigmaster 20, a 6V6 version and lower wattage, great amp.

User Info Menu

What a great looking amp. It's got just the right mix of all-tube power and features for live performances or recording.

Reminds me of the 45 watt Heritage Patriot amp, but in a head format.

User Info Menu

Very cool. Just a few days ago I bought a 1971 Twin Reverb from a well-known local amp builder. It had been cleaned up, rebuilt to blackface specs with the original transformers and NOS caps from his personal stash, and mounted in a head cab. It's basically a new AB763 Twin Reverb built in 2022, and it sounds glorious. I was a bit skeptical going in that it would sound good at the low volumes I use at home, but it has exceeded my expectations. For a decent jazz tone, I typically run the bass and treble controls very low—this seems to lessen the gain sufficiently that you can run the amp at higher relative volumes than you would with the tone controls at noon. It sounds balanced, thick, etc. Not sure what else you could ask for.