The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    It was a common “feature” for many years and was expected. And many people used “cheater” adapters to,plug into 2 prong (ie ungrounded) outlets for years after the 3 conductor power cord became standard. So reverse electrical polarity was still possible until all outlets were 3 prong.
    What was the desired effect of switching polarity in those days? I mean why did musicians care about polarity?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    What was the desired effect of switching polarity in those days? I mean why did musicians care about polarity?
    Before standardization of grounding and white/black polarity of electrical wiring and outlets in buildings in the US, there was no way to know which way you’d plugged in your amp’s power cord unless you labeled it yourself. So you plugged it in, turned it on, and threw the polarity switch to find the quieter of the two alternatives. Without that switch, you had to reverse the plug in the wall to accomplish the same thing.

Just as you see some outlets today with the ground prong up and some down, there was no standardized enforcement of the orientation of ungrounded outlets. The hot side could be left or right. We all carried cheater adapters for years after 3 prong plugs were standard on amps because it took many years after NEC code changed (1969?) for most buildings to convert to 3 prong outlets. Unless you sold your home or did something that required a permit and inspection, the old outlets and wiring were “grandfathered” and could remain.

User Info Menu

One reason, back in the day, that you cared about polarity was that your amp might be plugged in one way in the house current, and the PA might be plugged in the other way. Step up to the mic while holding the guitar and WHAM!...a potentially lethal electric shock.

More than a few guitarists back then died that way. I was fortunate, I only received some impressive electric shocks to the lips.