The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

GHS PM strings are great!...;

Box

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like that tone. A different colour to the tonal palette. I will give it a try.

User Info Menu

Got the Martino tone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I like that tone. A different colour to the tonal palette. I will give it a try.
    Thanks.
    These strings inspire me to play pure jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Got the Martino tone!
    Thanks...

User Info Menu

10% strings, 90% playing. Kris, thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    10% strings, 90% playing. Kris, thanks.
    I think you know the secret.
    Thanks a lot.

User Info Menu

Sounds great to me Kris!
    Very warm in the upper register with excellent articulation. That's the Biggee! I reckon.
    You really have to work the strings to get the sound and that causes you to become aware of the phrasing, high points etc.
    Love that Kris...I have used 15's for years, steel flats, never liked Thomastiks, -La Bella and then moved to 13-56 D'A Chromes with a 15 and 19 on top]

Now I'm getting on just a bit [75 this year ahem-but still kicking] I use the light bottom/heavier top gauges that Rich Severson suggests.
    In essence, I feel you can get a fat yet clear sound from a surprisingly light bass 6th & 5th but it's necessary to beef up the two
    plain strings to avoid the dreaded plink What I'm after is similar to Pat Martino's early period tone.
    So the set I use is D'A Chromes ECG23 48/38/28/20/15/13 This does not get the blanket over the amp tone,but could if I wanted ha ha
    It sounds plenty fat, depending on how hard you drive the sound with the pick. As we all know Pat had a very powerful attack but also
    could finesse the heck out of a ballad!
    I reckon that stainless steel flats can get a range of tones that surprises many. They can[ and do] sustain if you will it. You can bend them too!
    The hand adjusts to the feel under the fingers as you're discovering!

Enjoy your playing, is what its about!

User Info Menu

What's the guitar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    What's the guitar?
    "Hamadyk"-arch-top hollow body guitar .
    Local Polish luthier-Mirek Hamadyk