The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 97 of 97

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rick5
    He's very old school. No distortion, no string bending. He has always only played clean jazz - loves grant green, wes, jim hall, pat martino. In his jazz program, he always let the other guitarists play on the more fusion/funk/modern stuff.
    Charlie Christian => old school
    Charlie Christian => string bending

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It has D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings on it. Just found out. First step will be to put some TI flatwounds on it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RayS
    6th, "PICK"

Ray
    certainly ... also pick angles, and how tight the pick is being held...

(I found that the red Eric Johnson picks to be very close to the sound of good rest stroke : a little part of the flesh with some well cared for nail. I like the Ultex a little more but if I drop one I can never find it).

User Info Menu

Now that's a great demonstration, who'd have guessed that the Faroe Islands and Saint Lucia have 10x (and almost 10x) more laureates per capita than the UK?
    Switzerland ranking highest on the list of countries with a higher-than-chance number of laureates is a bit surprising, Sweden just below them even more, the Netherlands being almost ex-aequo with the US a not unpleasant one It'd be interesting to see some measure of the variety in fields/categories, i.e. is a country particularly good in 1 or 2 disciplines or do they have laurates across the board. That would probably change the classification again.

It has D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings on it. Just found out. First step will be to put some TI flatwounds on it.
    Maybe give them a wee bit of time to break in and see what they sound like, for curiosity's sake, since they're on there?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Yeah, but Santa Cruz is such a beautiful campus. Worth the cold water IMO (and if you think that's cold, try Maine).

I guess I would say that the career value of elite NE schools is narrow. It matters from some careers. If you want to work on Wall Street, the investment banks recruit on campus at Ivies, but if that's not your thing you shouldn't give those school's prestige undue weight in your decisions, and should maybe focus more on academic, social, financial, and family fit. Alas, for most of us, this insight only comes in retrospect.
    I think this is wisdom.

I would say though, that the quality of the education at the elite NE school was excellent. No bad teachers. Nothing dumbed down. Small enough classes to ask questions. This refers to their STEM courses. No complaints on that score.

User Info Menu

There's something to be said for staying in your lane and developing the style you love.

A lot of the finest musicians do exactly that. They do what they do, brilliantly, and there are plenty of things they don't do.

For example, a lot of jazz guitar heroes didn't read.

String bending is necessary for playing some things (e.g. I recently had to play a Steely Dan chart for which the intro required bending to sound right). If you can't/won't do it, you're cut off from some playing opportunities (which maybe you didn't want anyway).

So, it's a matter of choice. That said, I've met some players who seemed to be able to do it all.

User Info Menu

Yeah that’s a good point rp tbh I would say the best college guitar (if you could only have one) would probably be something like an ES335…. You can’t expect all ensemble work to be old school jazz guitar… in contemporary writing and so on people often expect guitarists to be able to provide more contemporary sounds a lot of the time. Lots of good mid price semi acoustics about…

unless your lad has a real clear desire to be a straightahead player and wants to focus on that to the exclusion of other stuff… in which case it’s good to have strong focus too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    unless your lad has a real clear desire to be a straightahead player and wants to focus on that to the exclusion of other stuff… in which case it’s good to have strong focus too!
    Yeah, one of the reasons he doesn't want to major in music is he only wants to be a straight ahead player. He also has no interest in teaching, which I imagine is pretty much essential for the vast majority to survive now. I know he will always play, but if the jazz minor pushes him towards stuff he doesn't want to play, he'll withdraw from it. Fortunately, he is already friends with a really good trumpet player from his music high school who is going to the same university, so the worst case is they form something together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I think this is wisdom.

I would say though, that the quality of the education at the elite NE school was excellent. No bad teachers. Nothing dumbed down. Small enough classes to ask questions. This refers to their STEM courses. No complaints on that score.
    I went to an elite NE school (though it didn't especially seem that way at the time). For academic, social, and time/place reasons, the experience would not have been the same elsewhere, but I can't really say whether that means it was a better. I was lucky in that I went there at a time when tuition was much cheaper, and there was a lot of scholarship aid available (as opposed to loans), so it didn't cost me all that much and I didn't accrue a lot of debt. Today, I think you have to look at the cost/benefit calculation a lot differently. "I don't really know what I want to do for a career, so I'll just wing it in school and see what turns up after" is one thing when you graduate with $4k in debt, and quite another when you graduate with $100k in debt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Huh, what? Genuinely flabbergasted. Social pressure I can understand (succumbing to it not so much) but what does a university have to say about how and where you live?! We are talking about institutions teaching free thinking, open mindedness and all that, right, not some fancy kind of boarding schools?
    A few days late here, but it's 'live in the dorm, not your own place' for freshman if they aren't living at home. If you are a freshman who lives 10 miles away and has a car you can live at home - you don't have to live in the dorms. All my kids just lived at home because the Uni was only about 15 miles away, and none of them wanted to graduate with bills to pay, and they all accomplished that

User Info Menu

Yeah, one of the reasons he doesn't want to major in music is he only wants to be a straight ahead player. He also has no interest in teaching, which I imagine is pretty much essential for the vast majority to survive now. I know he will always play, but if the jazz minor pushes him towards stuff he doesn't want to play, he'll withdraw from it. Fortunately, he is already friends with a really good trumpet player from his music high school who is going to the same university, so the worst case is they form something together.

A friend once said, "everybody has his own relationship with music".

Not everyone aspires to be the storied "well-rounded jazz musician".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Yeah that’s a good point rp tbh I would say the best college guitar (if you could only have one) would probably be something like an ES335…. You can’t expect all ensemble work to be old school jazz guitar… in contemporary writing and so on people often expect guitarists to be able to provide more contemporary sounds a lot of the time. Lots of good mid price semi acoustics about…

I think a semi would be a good choice. Might be good to have a coil split option.

A lot of votes go to the Tele.

I'd go for inexpensive/replaceable, durable, light weight, smaller body (if possible), excellent playabiity (because a student may be on it for hours), versatile in sound (to me, HB and single coil) and adequate sound quality (which most guitars have, to my ear).

And, of all those qualities, within a price range, I'd go for playability as #1. Then transportability. And then a good, non-plinky high end. Tele copies, Strat copies, 335 types come to mind. For brand, I'd suggest checking out Yamaha -- I have yet to be disappointed by a Yamaha product -- guitar, amp, kb and motorcycle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    A few days late here, but it's 'live in the dorm, not your own place' for freshman if they aren't living at home.
    You realise the contradiction in that sentence, right?
    In France, your address determines to which public {elementary, middle, high} school you're supposed to go. Evidently there are all kinds of creative ways around that (beyond getting yourself expelled).

User Info Menu

I think the rule that first-year university students live on campus if they don't commute has to do with their age. I think it can be waived if they are older, for example.

Both my kids started off living on-campus but are off-campus this coming autumn. Cheaper!

I lived in some dumps as a student. I remember one house where the owner was a nice enough woman, but she loved her rabbit so much that in the winter the shared kitchen was blocked off with baby gates and lined with straw so that the rabbit could live there instead of the chilly back porch. I remember it following me around the kitchen when I cooked.

User Info Menu

You realise the contradiction in that sentence, right?
    No? I probably didn't explain myself clearly.

In France, your address determines to which public {elementary, middle, high} school you're supposed to go. Evidently there are all kinds of creative ways around that (beyond getting yourself expelled).
    That's the same here, but for college you can go to any of the thousands of colleges and universities in the country you can get into, and afford. You can go to the local university and live at home with your parents instead of on campus, like my kids did, but you can also be from South Florida and decide to go to college in Alaska, some 3500+ miles away. In the latter case, the freshman will have to live in the freshman dormitories for the first year, and can rent someplace off campus after that if they wish or move to other dormitories.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    No? I probably didn't explain myself clearly.
    Exactly, you didn't say it had to be at the home with your parents. But do unis really check if your parents live with you, that it's their primary address, etc?

BTW, France doesn't impose anything on the choice of university or "high school" either. I am grateful I grew up in a country where imposed choices are mostly unheard of, or were when I was growing up. I could have been sent to any school, some of my classmates from elementary school had to bike at least 30min every day to go to 2ndary school in one of the neighbouring towns. Schools probably did apply priority acceptance to pupils from closer by, and that seems only fair.

User Info Menu

Exactly, you didn't say it had to be at the home with your parents. But do unis really check if your parents live with you, that it's their primary address, etc?

BTW, France doesn't impose anything on the choice of university or "high school" either. I am grateful I grew up in a country where imposed choices are mostly unheard of, or were when I was growing up. I could have been sent to any school, some of my classmates from elementary school had to bike at least 30min every day to go to 2ndary school in one of the neighbouring towns. Schools probably did apply priority acceptance to pupils from closer by, and that seems only fair.
    There is no national education system in the US. For elementary and high schools, every state has its own laws, different ways of delegating control to local levels of government, different funding mechanisms, different rules for who gets to go what school etc. Private (both secular and religious) schools are separate parallel universes, and are more common in the US than in most of Europe. It's very hard to generalize about how anything in American education works.

The Federal government does not play much of a role in any of this. They provide a small portion of funding some of which comes with policy and curriculum strings, and enforce civil rights/equal right opportunity laws, but that's about it.

Higher Ed is a whole other mishmosh. But in general, parents are responsible for tuition and financial aid is based on parental income and assets. So colleges get to ask all sorts of intrusive questions about that if you are applying for aid. Most public colleges offer lower tuition to students who live in the eligible state, county, or municipality and require students to provide a permanent address to that end. There are no national colleges other than the military academies.
    Last edited by John A.; 06-16-2022 at 10:52 AM.

User Info Menu

And… to make matters even crazier in US education some states control schools at the individual town/city level. Thus having unique’Boards of Education’ populated by aspiring politicians. Making obscene salaries (school board heads are up in the 150-200K$ Range in metro/suburb areas.) The teachers unions have an iron grip on the in class environment.
    All around, having done a fair amount of hiring in the last years i believe our education system is in far worse shape than healthcare. No reason a college grad should be functionally illiterate in basic language use or math.
    #rant over

Should have gone with an Ibanez GB10SE. But yall know id say that. I just don’t understand Eastmans.
    jk

User Info Menu

I remember when I was 21, I was with my girlfriend up at a lookout point. Down the hill there was a wedding party going on. They had a full band. I remember hearing pop tunes. I turned to my girlfriend and said, “If I ever end up doing that, kill me”. Oh, the folly of youth.

If your son is a person who is driven to focus on music, and is not going to be happy doing anything else, (for career reasons) it would be useful that he honestly accepts that as soon as possible. (I can never say what is best, because I can not predict the future).

Everyone is different. I never thought I would teach music. I thought I would be bored. I have now done a number of years teaching. I still get excited when a student can play their first chord. It is a weird experience. I wonder if doctors ever get bored of watching a child be born.

Since I was in the proto-hipster crowd, I have a couple of tattoos. When I was getting one I asked the artist, what is his favorite tattoo to ink? He said that he gets into each one his does.

There are many songs I would hate to listen to but if I am on stage it is completely different.

A lot of the experience is, what a person can bring. If they are not creative, they could be bored. If they do not have a deep love for the art and a serious commitment to it, then doing the same thing will feel like a task. (There is another side to it, a lot also depend on how a person see others in relationship to themselves. That is important, but much more convoluted. I am going to skip that for now. I will make a guess: that a good number of critiques of what I am saying, will focus around those issues).

The thing with art is there is always another level even in the most mundane aspects to it.

When I practice, I try and remember to always make whatever I am learning (new scale), into a (faux-) musical statement. Example would be play a scale as if it was a melodic line. Try and breath life into it. (That focus allows for a couple of things to take place. Practice by route, never works).

The more a person is like this, the less they will want to do anything outside of their art. That is a difficult reality to accept.

(however, it obvious that my social economic status is playing itself out within this context... truth is very elusive... )

User Info Menu

BTW, France doesn't impose anything on the choice of university or "high school" either.
    Ah semantics !!!
    France doesn't impose a choice, but does restrict your choice
    Have you heard of "Parcours Sup" ?

To the OP (back to topic, in fact)
    Congrats for the AR371
    I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with an Eastman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    And… to make matters even crazier in US education some states control schools at the individual town/city level. Thus having unique’Boards of Education’ populated by aspiring politicians. Making obscene salaries (school board heads are up in the 150-200K$ Range in metro/suburb areas.) The teachers unions have an iron grip on the in class environment.
    All around, having done a fair amount of hiring in the last years i believe our education system is in far worse shape than healthcare. No reason a college grad should be functionally illiterate in basic language use or math.
    #rant over

Should have gone with an Ibanez GB10SE. But yall know id say that. I just don’t understand Eastmans.
    jk
    When I said it's difficult to generalize about how American education works, I should have been more precise. It is easy to generalize, but not without being mostly wrong and/or blinded by biases. Not a rant, just an observation.
    Last edited by John A.; 06-16-2022 at 05:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Thinline tele with flat wounds then haha

Hey if it's good enough for Cecil Alexander .....