The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about some tube preamp, to make the sound fat and warm instead of guitar or amp. Would like to use it on stage with ss amp. Is it worth money? Has anybody use tube preamp? I looked over web and there is so many tube preamps that I will appreciate any review

regards,
    asedas

P.S.
    would like to use it only for clean, jazz sound. no overdrive, crunch, etc...
    Last edited by asedas; 04-09-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Funny this topic got posted, I'm in exactly the same boat needing a nice preamp to warm up one of my solid state amps (clean tones ONLY). I'm not really in the position to build one of my own (don't have the time or the tools), are there any preamps on the market that are particularly good for this application?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Just beware of cheapies. Certain manufacturers just put tubes in a "starved plate" circuit. Some just pop a tube in with the tube not doing much at all apart from to look good. Some have been known to put LED's behind that tube, to give it that nice glow! I kid you not. In this configuration, the Tubes are actually not amplifying anything.
    Now-some of these can actually sound quite good for rock distortion,albeit a solid-state distortion, but in my opinion won't give you what you want-that "warmth" that you require.

User Info Menu

I use the EHX TubeEQ in the FX loop of my Fender Jazz King. It's not plug & play though. I swapped the tubes for JJs and needed quite some time to find the right setting. Since then, I can't imagine playing without it. Subtle to huge improvement in liveliness, depending on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for response. I know, that the difference won't be as tube amp. I like my Roland JC60, but sometimes would like to have tube pream on it - just for change a little bit the characteristic of sound amplitude - to keep only clean sound.

thanks you for info and rabbit's link!

User Info Menu

I have a Damage Control Womanizer Preamp pedal with two Electro-Harmonix 12AXYs and a compressor in it and am happy with how it works with my Polytone Mini Brute II.

User Info Menu

I've been using a Presonus Tubepre. Seems to be all I need to add a little extra warmth. I've never used an expensive one before so I can't compare it.

User Info Menu

Gosh, I only have to use my guitar's tone control to warm up the sound. Could it be that cheap and simple?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Gosh, I only have to use my guitar's tone control to warm up the sound. Could it be that cheap and simple?
    What kind of amp do you have?

User Info Menu

Bumping an old thread to see if there are any more ideas?

User Info Menu

Getting my Frenzel tube preamp, FM DP1, next week hopefully. Going in to a Mambo 12. Will be interesting to see what it will bring soundwise. Will post my findings here.

Cheers
    Ted

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Bumping an old thread to see if there are any more ideas?
    The Kingsley Squire seems worthy of a try. I'd like to try one. Pedal sized.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyfm
    Getting my Frenzel tube preamp, FM DP1, next week hopefully. Going in to a Mambo 12. Will be interesting to see what it will bring soundwise. Will post my findings here.

Cheers
    Ted
    This seems like a great preamp that I'd like to try as well.

User Info Menu

Alembic used to make one that was basically a clone of a Fender Dual Showman pre-amp. Bass players used them a lot tended to be too clean for most guitarists. They popup used from time to time.

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried a Vox Tonelab. It's not made anymore, but I think has a tube preamp and has a couple amp models. Might be interesting at they are cheap on ebay.

User Info Menu

There's also the Radial Firefly which is popular with bass players. Would like to try one but they're kind of expensive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    There's also the Radial Firefly which is popular with bass players. Would like to try one but they're kind of expensive.
    That's a tube driven DI not a pre-amp. They do make a tube driven TriMode, but more about adding some over drive.

User Info Menu

I use a BK Butler Real Tube II 922 two channel preamp. It works extremely well going into an SS amp, adds warmth and dynamics missing from SS. They have been out of production for a decade+, can find them used on e-bay for $100 - $200, worth considering.

User Info Menu

So, have tried the preamp out a bit. It goes to an Mambo 12 SS. The Mambo is without a doubt a really good amp in every aspect, but for me, after the honeymoon period, I felt that something was lacking. Call it the "warmth", "classical jazztone" or something equally abstract. For me it was like eating a really good bread without butter

The FM-DP1 is the butter. Not very scientific but there you have it. It is almost noiseless. The first gain tube is an 12AX7. I got an 12AU7 aswell to remove any gain. I havent tried it out yet, as I see no point to at the moment. Silky smooth sound, very impressed. One of the best purchases I have ever made.

I am just loving it. And as always YMMW.
    Attached Images Attached Images tube preamp?-img_0553-jpg 
    Last edited by Teddyfm; 10-31-2014 at 01:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Interesting - thanks for sharing! How is the 'Marshall' channel? Does it give these fat overdriven sounds? And is the clean channel 'tweed'ish' or blackfacy?

User Info Menu

Having not had much experience with Marshall amp I cant really say. What I can say is that its quite punchy and the overdrive is there. Its quite bright but the mids are really nice punctuated. As for the F channel, aka Fender, its nice and fat without any booming. Tried both channels at max gain and master at 2 oclock. Perfect. Its like a very well tuned engine.

There are some soundclips at the homepage from a really good player...
    https://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page17.php

Again, pretty much noiseless, just the noise from the Mambo.

Cheers
    Ted

User Info Menu

So, have tried the preamp out a bit. It goes to an Mambo 12 SS. The Mambo is without a doubt a really good amp in every aspect, but for me, after the honeymoon period, I felt that something was lacking. Call it the "warmth", "classical jazztone" or something equally abstract. For me it was like eating a really good bread without butter

The FM-DP1 is the butter. Not very scientific but there you have it. It is almost noiseless. The first gain tube is an 12AX7. I got an 12AU7 aswell to remove any gain. I havent tried it out yet, as I see no point to at the moment. Silky smooth sound, very impressed. One of the best purchases I have ever made.

I am just loving it. And as always YMMW.
    I have a Frenzel "Super Deluxe Plus w/ reverb" amp, which uses the same pre-amp setup as yours. Great amp, great price.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    I have a Frenzel "Super Deluxe Plus w/ reverb" amp, which uses the same pre-amp setup as yours. Great amp, great price.

Enjoy!
    Forgot to the mention the price. 245 plus a power conversion, 295$. Very good value for money.

I have to thank you Marc, as it was your comments that led me to research the Frenzel products. I am pretty sure that if I buy a new amp it will be the Super Deluxe one. If? Who am I kidding?! It is of course when I buy...

User Info Menu

Forgot to the mention the price. 245 plus a power conversion, 295$. Very good value for money.

I have to thank you Marc, as it was your comments that led me to research the Frenzel products. I am pretty sure that if I buy a new amp it will be the Super Deluxe one. If? Who am I kidding?! It is of course when I buy...
    yes, who are we fooling? Never "if," always "when" for gear-aholics!

User Info Menu

I'm really eyeing these Frenzel heads. Either the preamp DP1 or the 5E3DP. I'm typically a combo player because I don't like to tote the various components (head, cab, reverb, etc). But one of these could sway me, especially if I mainly use it at home.