The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

I'm thinking about the Frenzel preamp with a Henricksen two channel head, that should cover all of the bases. But I also just saw a used Fender George Benson HRD in a local shop for $600.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richpiv
    I'm thinking about the Frenzel preamp with a Henricksen two channel head, that should cover all of the bases. But I also just saw a used Fender George Benson HRD in a local shop for $600.
    GB HRD has a better reverb probably but is heavier and larger. Frenzel plus Henriksen would cost how much $ 1000 or more ?
    Last edited by medblues; 11-04-2014 at 03:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hallpass
    I'm really eyeing these Frenzel heads. Either the preamp DP1 or the 5E3DP. I'm typically a combo player because I don't like to tote the various components (head, cab, reverb, etc). But one of these could sway me, especially if I mainly use it at home.
    Hey, Jim makes combos, too!

Come to the Dark Side ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Hey, Jim makes combos, too!

Come to the Dark Side ....
    Totally true. But his cabinets aren't quite the value of his heads and I don't have much to spend right now, which got me thinking about getting a head now...and perhaps a couple different sized cabs in time. Eitherway, I think a tweed flavored frenzel would make a nice compliment to my blackface amps.

User Info Menu

Totally true. But his cabinets aren't quite the value of his heads and I don't have much to spend right now, which got me thinking about getting a head now...and perhaps a couple different sized cabs in time. Eitherway, I think a tweed flavored frenzel would make a nice compliment to my blackface amps.
    Sounds good. I'd like to save up for his "Mini Bassman."

User Info Menu

I'm really eyeing these Frenzel heads. Either the preamp DP1 or the 5E3DP. I'm typically a combo player because I don't like to tote the various components (head, cab, reverb, etc). But one of these could sway me, especially if I mainly use it at home.
    Hi again, there are a couple used Frenzels on ebay right now ... worth taking a look.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Hi again, there are a couple used Frenzels on ebay right now ... worth taking a look.
    Thanks man! I'm watching two of them and thinking about it real hard.

User Info Menu

Thanks man! I'm watching two of them and thinking about it real hard.
    So, have you reached a decision yet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dystonian_Mode
    I've been using a Presonus Tubepre. Seems to be all I need to add a little extra warmth. I've never used an expensive one before so I can't compare it.
    Man, thanks for that. I like my SS amps, but have been working to get that "tube" warmth and tone. I hadn't thought of using a small tube preamp until someone bumped this thread back up to the "top". I got me a Presonus Tubepre V2.....and run it thru the amp section only on my Crate GX 60 C. How wonderful that worked. This is the kinda thing that makes me keep coming back to this forum...........

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Kingsley Amps had the table next to me at the Vancouver Guitar Show yesterday. It was away too noisy to hear anything but I had a chance to talk with Simon and he's invited me to come by his place in the suburbs to try the Squire (and whatever else). He also had a new pedal at the show that's not on the web site yet that seemed to be a possibility for some people as well. I'm probably going to go out and see it some time this week so I'll report back with results then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Kingsley Amps had the table next to me at the Vancouver Guitar Show yesterday. It was away too noisy to hear anything but I had a chance to talk with Simon and he's invited me to come by his place in the suburbs to try the Squire (and whatever else). He also had a new pedal at the show that's not on the web site yet that seemed to be a possibility for some people as well. I'm probably going to go out and see it some time this week so I'll report back with results then.
    Definitely take the time to go visit and try out some of Simon's stuff. I have the Kingsley Juggler and the Jester, they are both fantastic. I think the Squire is the clean channel of the Juggler. The Juggler has a great clean tone and is very flexible and adjustable. It sounded even better after putting some old RCA tubes in.

User Info Menu

Bought an ART Tube MP/C
    Only played it a bit in the loop of my Loudbox Artist.
    More tests to come.
    $110 + tx
    There is a Kingsley Page for sale locally used but $240 used is pretty dear plus I suspect it is EQed more as a blues pedal than a neutral preamp to add warmth to an SS amp. The ART also has an optical compressor built in and has XLT i/o so it can be very versatile. But does it do anything?
    More to come . . .
    Last edited by DRS; 11-11-2014 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

With my Eastman AR 810CE with a Benedetto pickup, the ART Tube MP/C has a subtle but noticeable effect through the Loudbox either into the front end of the amp or the loop. I don't think it mattters where you put it. The tone is a little bit more defined and rounded than the Loudbox alone. Sometimes more defined means harsher but not with the MP/C. It's just a wee bit richer. The compressor doesn't really do much for a jazz guitar so I leave it off.

I tried the MP/C into the front of my Mustang III using a Tele and a Strat and it also made them sound better but you have to watch your levels as the M3 doesn't like being hit in the front end with a hot signal. Oddly enough, the MP/C produced a ton of hum in the M3 FX loop so it was unuseable there. It was 100% quiet in the Loudbox loop.

This unit won't turn a crap amp into a gem but it seems to do what I want which is warm up my Eastman AR 810CE with a Benedetto pickup. And for $110 cdn, you really can't complain. Apparently, a tube swap makes a big difference.

One thing the MP/C lacks is any kind of tone control. I know it's supposed to be a microphone preamp. Maybe ART should put out a tube preamp with active tube driven parametric EQ controls. Now that would be cool. E-H has their Tube EQ but it is apparently very noisy.
    Last edited by DRS; 11-11-2014 at 04:49 PM.