The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

A few weeks ago I got in touch with gitterbug here on the forum, alarmed because he's been making noises about easing off production of his Toob speakers. Also, I heard Greg Ruggiero play his King archtop through a Toob Metro 6.5 at a restaurant on the east side of NYC. He was in a group comprising drums, double bass, sax, vocals, and guitar, and his guitar sounded terrific. I had a chat with him, and he said that he had originally had a 10" Toob, but prevailed upon Markku to make something smaller for NYC musicians to take with them to gigs on the subway.

After some PMs, we decided what might be best for my situation, and he sent a Metro 6.5 GP+. It arrived within a few days, and a few days after that the SuperBlock US I had ordered arrived. Before it came, though, I tried playing my new-to-me Triggs New Yorker using the Toob connected to my Bud, with a dummy plug in the headphone jack of the Bud to silence its speaker. It sounded really good, but I figured I'd wait until the SB came.

I really do like the sound of the Toob/SuperBlock combo. I haven't tried it at a gig, and I left for Paris a few days after I put it all together, so I didn't have time to make a video; but I did have a young colleague visit my apartment who is an incredibly talented jazz guitarist (studying at Columbia), and he played his Eastman CC archtop through it. He was quite impressed, and I was able to get a pretty good distance from him (my apartment isn't small) to hear how it sounded a room away – it sounded great, and full. I am really very happy with my purchase. Markku told me that he had a couple of gigs (right after he sent mine) with a sizable group, and it held its own quite nicely. I can believe it.

And amazingly, the combo weighs less than half of my 13lb Bud.

New Toob and Quilter SuperBlock-toob-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats on your new rig!
    My Toob 10 and SB-US sound great, and Markku is a class act (as we all know)!
    Enjoy!

User Info Menu

I’m thinking of pulling the trigger, too… with a Superblock, would you go for the Metro 6.5GP or the GP+? 20 watts might just be a tad too small for the 25 Watts that the Superblock purports to (not that I ever turn it up that far).

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Do you really expect to play your SB above 95% volume with your guitar at 100% volume? That's the only way there should be any danger to the speaker. Also consider that if the speaker is rated at 20W, that isn't a hard number, and 20.01W won't blow it. Engineers tend to be conservative, and there has to be some reserve in order to guarantee that 20.0W is safe. I wouldn't worry about the extra 5W which you almost certainly won't use anyway.

User Info Menu

Awesome orange and black!

User Info Menu

For jazz players, a 20W speaker with SuperBlocks is safe. Volume at near max., Gain under noon, you're still safe and the sound has just a little bit of hair. So did Wes.

PS manufacturers' ratings do allow for tolerances. I'm using 130W SICA woofers, which are now out of stock until August. Found a stash of discontinued parallel models which are just as good for guitar/bass. They are rated at 100W; the factory tells me the engine room is exactly the same and re-rated to 130W at some point.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 06-06-2022 at 02:58 PM.

User Info Menu

I quite like the quilter through a FRFR toob metro (I forget the model but it looks the same as the one in the OP) as an acoustic amp.

User Info Menu

Christian has got two Metros: 6.5BG (bass&guitar) with black rims, and a 6.5FR (FRFR) with orange rims. These are the default rim colors for these models. OP wanted his 6.5GP (guitar ported) with orange instead of red (default) rims. Brown rims saved for Tweed and other Custom versions.

Since the FR came up, it's worth touting its versatility. Modeling amp guys use it to provide guitar feedback on stage, at a fraction of the weight of an ordinary amp or powered PA cab. Harley Benton's GPA 100 power amp is ideal for this role, but apparently not available in a US version. Apart from acoustic guitars, the FR sees increasing use with violin, harmonica, various ethnic stringed instruments, even vocals. My swing band's pianist uses it for his Roland FP-2 keyboard. Common amps: Quilter SuperBlock US and (for more oomph) TC Electronic BAM200.

Cheers,

Markku

I heard a Toob 12” with a Quilter superblock yesterday. The guy played a 175 outdoors and had a really convincing sound with good projection. It was a moderate volume setting with drums at decent volume and there was absolutely no problem cutting through and being well heard. It sounded great and I was impressed. For reference, I play Acoustic Image, AER and a Henriksen Blue.

User Info Menu

I've been thinking about the same combo. I'd surely love to hear Greg live. Greg Ruggiero video on YouTube with Quilter + Toob

Beyond the musicianship which I could listen to all day, I like everything about the sound, and it might be just a phone recording. The dynamics are really good, and the guitar's character comes through. I may be wrong but except for the Tone Master, modeller solutions seem to squash the dynamics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Christian has got two Metros: 6.5BG (bass&guitar) with black rims, and a 6.5FR (FRFR) with orange rims. These are the default rim colors for these models. OP wanted his 6.5GP (guitar ported) with orange instead of red (default) rims. Brown rims saved for Tweed and other Custom versions.

Since the FR came up, it's worth touting its versatility. Modeling amp guys use it to provide guitar feedback on stage, at a fraction of the weight of an ordinary amp or powered PA cab. Harley Benton's GPA 100 power amp is ideal for this role, but apparently not available in a US version. Apart from acoustic guitars, the FR sees increasing use with violin, harmonica, various ethnic stringed instruments, even vocals. My swing band's pianist uses it for his Roland FP-2 keyboard. Common amps: Quilter SuperBlock US and (for more oomph) TC Electronic BAM200.

Cheers,

Markku
    Hi Markku, so options can be changed on the 6.5 model? Including the speaker? Just out of curiosity, I would probably be fine with the standard version.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    I may be wrong but except for the Tone Master, modeller solutions seem to squash the dynamics.
    I think it's just the latest modelling has stepped up way beyond the early stuff. The Tonemaster amps, and the Mustang GT100 stuff from Fender, aren't the only ones of course, but they are good examples of real modelling doing the job excellently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I quite like the quilter through a FRFR toob metro (I forget the model but it looks the same as the one in the OP) as an acoustic amp.
    Great. Now I want two TOOBs.

This is my scenario:

I have a 12" Fender cabinet to do the heavy lifting. For all other occasions, I'd like a small speaker, either as the single sound source, or as monitor on stage.

I use an electric guitar (Tele or 335 copy w/P90s) that is mostly clean, but sometimes lightly overdriven ("with some hair on"). I also use a Flamenco guitar for some tunes that has a decent pickup, but no pre-amp.

For on-stage scenarios: The Quilter has a good D.I. so I'd probably use that to go straight into the PA. If I use the Quilter as a Pre-amp and DI for both instruments, would the Metro 6.5GP or 6.5FR be the better choice as a personal monitor?

For practice and small gigs without PA: here the electric sound is paramount. Would I be able to get a decent electric sound out of the 6.5FR? My attempts with acoustic amps have been underwhelming.

User Info Menu

that's what I use when studying at home, toob metro bg+ + superblock US.

Easy to find a good jazz sound , I like the 57 and the 65 sim amp with my comins, and I don't play pushing the volume of the superblock cause I don't need at home but the sound is good according to my ears.

(and using the crunch by using more gain with my strato is cool for fusion, blues and rock too and thx quilter for the fx loop, it could help in other situations).

light weight and good sounds at low volume so should still be good when pushing more.

User Info Menu

Hi Doc and thanks for exposing your desires! The answers, hopefully helpful to a wider audience, too, depend on the amp(s) you plan to use. This in particular regarding the Metro. If the SuperBlock, then I'd recommend a GP loaded with a 20W Eminence 620H. It's heavier and pricier than the 20W Jensens but the tone is great, and the 94dB sensitivity makes it audibly louder than the 91dB SICAs and Jensens.

If you intend to use a more powerful amp, then I'd suggest a 130W SICA 6L1 1,5SL inside a GP+ or BG JR housing. GP+ will be a bit brighter and louder, BG JR (with a more closed back) darker and "thunkier". FR version is great for acoustic guitars and modeling amps but not at its best for plain electric guitar sound. Too much top end sizzle. The 6L1 SICA is a discontinued model that I found a stash of in Sweden. For all intents and purposes equal to but less expensive than the current 6L version, which is out of stock until August.

In the larger caliber, I'd look into the Toob 10S or 12S. For jazz, I actually prefer 10" over 12". An up-and-coming Manouche guitarist will audition the 10S next week. Amplifying gypsy jazz guitars is problematic and depends a lot on the PU, but I'm keen to stick my nose into this and expect good results.

If this gets serious, we can't go on meeting like this. PM or - preferably - e-mail to toobspeakers@gmail.com

Cheers,

Markku

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    I think it's just the latest modelling has stepped up way beyond the early stuff. The Tonemaster amps, and the Mustang GT100 stuff from Fender, aren't the only ones of course, but they are good examples of real modelling doing the job excellently.
    I hope that is the case but haven't found a convincing modelling demo of a trad jazz sound as of yet,which doesn't necessarily mean anything as 90% + of demos are other genres or noodling.

User Info Menu

I hope that is the case but haven't found a convincing modelling demo of a trad jazz sound as of yet,which doesn't necessarily mean anything as 90% + of demos are other genres or noodling.
    Even the preset "patches" in the Fender GT100 and similar are pretty tragic when it comes to showing what can truly be done. Try them out in store. I just tested the Twin model on a GT instore. It was so close to a real Twin, that I just bought the amp, trusting the other models would be good. I was not disappointed.

The best hope, I think, is that if the model can sound and play like the original amp (like in the tonemasters and the GT models of the same), then it appears that, if the real amp was good for jazz, so will be the modelled version. Really the models are allowing you to adjust bias and power supply sag, and they are using (seemingly) good IR models of the speaker cabinets. Pretty impressive techo stuff. Close enough to reality to expect to be able to extrapolate how they'll work in slightly different usage, such as jazz.

User Info Menu

I don't know if you 've seen the demo from Petri Krzywacki, I think this one is cool for example :

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reissueplayer
    I heard a Toob 12” with a Quilter superblock yesterday. The guy played a 175 outdoors and had a really convincing sound with good projection. It was a moderate volume setting with drums at decent volume and there was absolutely no problem cutting through and being well heard. It sounded great and I was impressed. For reference, I play Acoustic Image, AER and a Henriksen Blue.
    I played a Toob 12J outdoors yesterday with a Quilter superblock and a 175!!
    There was this really great player there with an Acoustic Image amp and I know he also owns a Henriksen Blu and some AER amp ???
    (hej )

My Toob 12J has a Jensen C12N. I've also tried the (lighter and more expensive) Tornado Jet and Blackbird 40 but I think the C12N sounds the best for my taste and style out of the three.
    I will admit I do prefer the sound of a "normal" open back cab. But I like that the Toob is more portable and more flexible in terms of positioning it in a room/stage since it is less directional.
    I first got the 12S but figured out I prefered it without the backplate and after consulting with Markku he offered me to send it back and get 12J instead.

(I also got the metro BG which I use if I travel by public transport).

User Info Menu

Even the preset "patches" in the Fender GT100 and similar are pretty tragic when it comes to showing what can truly be done. Try them out in store. I just tested the Twin model on a GT instore. It was so close to a real Twin, that I just bought the amp, trusting the other models would be good. I was not disappointed.
    At 22 pounds, it’s a dream for us old guys used to schlepping 3 times the weight. And because it’s digital, there’s a lot less variation from unit to unit than there was in our beloved tube stuff. The tolerances on most internal components were 5% or more. If all of the resistors, caps etc were on the minus side, you got a different amp from the ones in which all were on the plus side. Random variation kept most in the middle, but there were a few in each production run that were clearly either better or worse than the rest.

I think you made a great choice. Enjoy it!

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your groovy new tools, and play them in good health!

User Info Menu

The best hope, I think, is that if the model can sound and play like the original amp (like in the tonemasters and the GT models of the same), then it appears that, if the real amp was good for jazz, so will be the modelled version. Really the models are allowing you to adjust bias and power supply sag, and they are using (seemingly) good IR models of the speaker cabinets. Pretty impressive techo stuff. Close enough to reality to expect to be able to extrapolate how they'll work in slightly different usage, such as jazz.
    I'm aware of the potential. What I fear though is I won't find a satisfactory patch outright, then will have to spend hours of trial and error, research and endless tweaking then lose interest. It's happened already with aTHR which many people like. There may be good tones in there, I just can't find them and don't have the time. Hence why I'm reluctant to get another digital amp. Once I was asked to program a small utility as we needed it and I had a limited understanding of how to do it. I was able to do it, but in x5 the time a computer guy would have taken. Modellers feel that way to me - like I'm being asked to do a job that isn't mine to do

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itsmyname
    I don't know if you 've seen the demo from Petri Krzywacki, I think this one is cool for example :

Absolutely, he's great, it deserved to be posted along with the Greg Ruggiero demo. Hear, YouTube guys, that's how a demo is supposed to be done.

User Info Menu

Just to confirm that I received my TOOB Metro 6.5 with an Electrovoice speaker that Markku recommended to me. I'm using it with the Quilter Superblock US. At practice levels, this is already a very fine combination.

I'll take it to its first gig next Friday. In practice, I'll probably use the Quilter's Lineout to go straight to the PA system (worked fine at rehearsal) and the Toob as monitor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Just to confirm that I received my TOOB Metro 6.5 with an Electrovoice speaker that Markku recommended to me. I'm using it with the Quilter Superblock US. At practice levels, this is already a very fine combination.

I'll take it to its first gig next Friday. In practice, I'll probably use the Quilter's Lineout to go straight to the PA system (worked fine at rehearsal) and the Toob as monitor.
    Congratulations. Let us know how the gig goes!