The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I just brought home my new Ibanez AF95BS.

I love it, and I guess it's one of the best budget guitar for learning jazz.
    Its warm tone, its resonance and volume when unplugged make me feel happy of my decision.

I'm just thinking about the strings: I have started again to play after years and my hands are not so trained as years before.

The factory choice seems to be D'Addario 11/50 flatwound.
    I have (on another guitar) Thomastik Infeld 10/46.

Have anyone checked this couple (TI 10/46 with AF95)? Or other?
    Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks!

Flatwound string gauges for Ibanez AF95 BS-af95_bs-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had TI 11-47 on a 335 at one point, and I would not go lighter than that on anything. If you dont bend and have a reasonably low setup, you dont need much strength to cope with that

User Info Menu

If you still want flatwounds, you can get the Thomastik "Swing" strings set and retain string gauge, as its round core means it's fairly low-tension.

User Info Menu

Hi i have the AF95FM and yes it is a great guitar at a extremely reasonable price… happy NGD! The Indonesian build quality is amazing yes?

im coming back after a long layoff due to illness. I found dropping the E and B strings one notch (ex: 11 to 10) but leaving the G D A E as is has been helping.
    For me (who used to play 14’s) the lighter strings sound terrible. But I figured a period of getting a good start on reclaiming strength was more important)))
    have fun!
    jk

User Info Menu

I play a very similar AF81 at home
    yeah they’re good guitars....

Ive had a complete lay-off of playing for 4months ....

yes it did hurt to start playing initially !

(TI 13 flats on there i didn’t go down )

just it take it Steady and easy
    the hand strength will come back fine .....
    mainly ...do not rush it and hurt yourself

User Info Menu

Pings, look at it this way. You don’t start weight lifting 150 pounds, you start at low weights and work up to train your muscles without damage.
    This advice was given to me by an MD & PhD in classical guitar who specializes in musician injuries.
    Take it for what it’s worth, but I have tried both the ‘start where I left off’ and her building up approach and do believe she is correct.
    jk

(my layoff has been several years)

User Info Menu

ok fair enough man .... you’re right

i started back on my short scale(22.5 inch)
    acoustic which is of course veery low tension

still hurt tho !
    and I could only play
    for a couple of minutes at a time initially

thanks for the advice

User Info Menu

Between the years of layoff and corticosteroid weakened muscles I needed all the help I could get!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Hi i have the AF95FM and yes it is a great guitar at a extremely reasonable price… happy NGD! The Indonesian build quality is amazing yes?

im coming back after a long layoff due to illness. I found dropping the E and B strings one notch (ex: 11 to 10) but leaving the G D A E as is has been helping.
    For me (who used to play 14’s) the lighter strings sound terrible. But I figured a period of getting a good start on reclaiming strength was more important)))
    have fun!
    jk
    Hello jazzkritter!
    I find the Indonesian version nice and well built. Its voice is loud enough unplugged, and I like the tone when plugged..
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

I think I'm going to use Thomastik Infeld swing 10/44. I have them on my Gretsch G2420, and they are soft and loud.
    I agree with the 'train, not strain' method..
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by SerCorr; 06-06-2022 at 02:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Pings, look at it this way. You don’t start weight lifting 150 pounds, you start at low weights and work up to train your muscles without damage.
    This advice was given to me by an MD & PhD in classical guitar who specializes in musician injuries.
    Take it for what it’s worth, but I have tried both the ‘start where I left off’ and her building up approach and do believe she is correct.
    jk

(my layoff has been several years)
    I can believe that! A couple of years is a long time- muscles, finger callouses etc.

I just went away for 10 days, the longest I haven't played in a few years, and had to build back up a bit even for that short time.

And at the beginning of COVID, I started playing a lot more, nothing else to do, and quickly developed tendinitis in my left forearm, so it pays to be careful!