The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

I have Sperzels on my Strat and the PRS system on my PRS. It’s from ‘93 and I understand I have an old now redesigned PRS locking system. Never had an issue. Don’t use them on the flat or arch tops.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Laro
    I don't like and don't need locking tuners (I don't play any tremolo-equipped guitar). Unnecessarily complicated stuff, heavier than normal tuners (and uglier too). It's only my point of view...
    Locking tuners actually make string changes less complicated, not more.

User Info Menu

It’s all been said before, but …

I have Hipshot open lockers on my Tele. String changes are quick and easy. Hipshot quality is top notch. The tuners are smooth and robust. Much lighter than Rotos. I like them more than any of the various Schallers, Grovers, Waverlies, Gotohs, on other instruments. I’ve dealt with the people at Hipshot for other things, and they are responsive and helpful. What’s not to like?

Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevo58
    Hipshot quality is top notch.
    Ineed it is! I put a Hipshot bridge/tailpiece unit on my Tele 7, and it’s absolutely fantastic - beautifully made, gorgeous to look at, perfectly functional, and well worth its cost. I haven’t dealt with them directly, so I don’t know how responsive they are to customer input.

Other manufacturers have been great too. I asked Grover if I could get a single locker plus a set of 6 for my Tele 7. They responded within a day that they’d be happy to make a matched set of 7 with my choice of metals, knobs etc. Unfortunately, they can’t/won’t make a 7th with a larger shaft and hole. Fortunately, I’ve had great response from and interaction with Sperzel, who will make single lockers with oversized shafts & holes for the 7th string. I’ve used Sperzels since I got them on a custom Carvin 7 almost 30 years ago.