The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been anchoring for a nylon string electro, the Takamine tc132sc with the cool tube preamp seems to suit with my ideas, anyone own one of these or any thoughts?

Takamine Guitars :: product-details

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobKay
    I've been anchoring for a nylon string electro, the Takamine tc132sc with the cool tube preamp seems to suit with my ideas, anyone own one of these or any thoughts?

Takamine Guitars :: product-details
    Back in the early 1990s, this model seem to be standard fare, at least around where I live. I was teaching some guitar back then and one of my students had one. I thought it was pretty nice. I would say "pretty nice for the price", but it may well be these days that other makers might fit that description better. I don't know since I have not checked prices on those guitars lately. I can say this model has been around for quite some time and still seems to sell well enough to stay in the Takamine lineup. That must say something about the viability of the instrument.

Tony

User Info Menu

Maybe read through this thread (not about a particular guitar).

User Info Menu

I had one for a while. I liked it: very high quality build, good (but not great) acoustic sound, nice pickup system. I also had a Godin Multiac GC Duet Ambiance. The Takamine had more feedback when played amplified. When the time came to sell due to a move, Godin stayed and Takamine went to another player.

User Info Menu

I have a Takamine EC132C that I've had for quite a few years. I wanted a amplified nylon string for playing Latin/bossa tunes in a band. It worked well for that. I did have to get a soundhole plug to manage the feedback, which having the preamp controls on the side of the guitar made possible. Now, this is a guitar with a laminated top, back and sides (the guitar you're asking about should have a solid top, possibly a solid cedar top, based on the "SC" at the end of the model number); the natural acoustic tone isn't bad but not as good as a solid wood instrument; the plugged-in tone, however, is better. It is a peculiarity of guitar amplification that really good acoustic instruments tend to sound worse amplified than instruments with less acoustic signature and resonance.

The fit and finish of the Tak was great. The fretwork, in particular, was outstanding. Alas, it largely sits in its case these days; I also have a Rick Turner Renaissance RN-6 for playing amplified. It's a semi hollow body guitar, so the acoustic sound is negligible, but the amplified sound is quite good.

I would also note that my first guitar was a Takamine "lawsuit" era F340 S that I bought in 1979. I still have it; it is just good enough that it has kept me from buying another steel string flattop all these years. It is by no means a Martin D-18 sonically but it has its own charm. Lately I've been using Martin Retro Monel strings on it and have really been enjoying it.