The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing and had a chance to try out two guitars today: a D'Angelico Deluxe DC (the discontinued one) and a 2008 Epiphone Sheraton, made in Korea (Unsung factory). The results surprised me as I expected the D'Angelico to sound miles better, but it was much brighter than I expected... so much so that the (Seymour Duncan) neck pickup sounded like middle position. Wasn't wowed by the resonance either. The Sheraton on the other hand sounded rich, full, crisp, and just a 'makes you want to pick it up' type experience. Even the bridge pickup sounded great, like a really full Tele sound, and I usually hate bridge pickups. They are apparently Gibson USA pickups in it, but I'm not sure.

A complicating factor is that I played the D'Angelico out of a Crate Palomino (no experience with it) and the Sheraton out of a Silverface DRRI, so maybe I'm just learning that I really like Deluxe Reverbs (which I already knew). No effects on either. Another complicating factor: The D'Angelico is 60% market price whereas the Sheraton is right around market value, still cheaper than the D'Angelico.

Just debating pulling the trigger on the Sheraton, wondering if I'm missing something or hearing something that's not there. Anyone have experience with these guitars or amps mentioned?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My two cents - you can't try through two vastly different amps and know how much of that is either guitar. How they sounded unplugged is one facet, but plugged in to the same amp is the only way to be sure of the differences. And even then - raising or lowering pickups changes things too.

User Info Menu

I would definitely go with the Sheraton based on my experience with both models over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille;[URL="tel:1196782"
    1196782[/URL]]I would definitely go with the Sheraton based on my experience with both models over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    word? can you say more? I definitely found the Sheraton to be an easy player, not sure what it was about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stylo
    word? can you say more? I definitely found the Sheraton to be an easy player, not sure what it was about it.
    I’ve played a few different Korean Sheratons. The one I have most experience with was older though (late 90s maybe). I always found they play very well. I would personally still change electronics (neck pickup for a SD A2 or Seth Lover). I currently don’t own one but I check reverb for deals on one every day

I’ve never owned a D’Angelico D DC but I’ve been quite disappointed. I considered getting one because it looked great on paper, love the pickups and tried a few in stores. It may have been the setup but I didn’t liked how they played.

Just my opinion

User Info Menu

had an older korean sheraton once. 90s era, i suppose. really liked the thing. so much so i traded it off and got the elitist sheraton instead, since i was obsessed by that point. never looked back.

was a fun mod platform that took to pickup and electronic swaps well. really liked the thing with flats and half flats. one thing to be aware of (not sure if this is the case with the one you're looking at) is that it had a multi piece maple neck. so it was inherently brighter than the average semi with a hog neck and therefore had to be accounted for when picking out new strings or pickups.

User Info Menu

The few Sheraton I've played vary widely in sound, and playability, I suspect it's due to where they were made. Mine (a Sheraton II origin unknown) had the pups swapped out by the PO which was the right thing to do.

All of the the DA I've played OTOH (Mine was made in "Incheon" and I've not played other factory selections) were all consistent and needed nothing.

That said, I'd still get a Sherry and play as many as I could to get one that played best, and mod the snot out of it to suit me.

User Info Menu

If I'm reading specs correctly, the Deluxe DC comes with Duncan Seth Lovers. The older Korean Sheratons came with the ubiquitous Kent Armstrong Icon 57/ HPA (G or N, depending on cover material) pickups. The Duncans are noticeably brighter than the KA's, so that might explain the difference. Anyway, if you know you prefer the Sheraton, get the Sheraton. They're great guitars.

User Info Menu

There might be setup and string differences between the 2 guitars. Unless you know how to spot that go with the Sheraton.

I have limited experience with D'Angelicos. Played a very nice used blonde Excel SS that I kick myself for not buying. Tried a few guitars from Premier range that felt cheap and uninspiring. Never tried Deluxe series.

Got an old Epi Dot Studio which got new frets and electronics which I really enjoy.

User Info Menu

I have a china sheraton that I bought really cheap. Everything was pretty much perfect out of the box except that the nut was missaligned. The pickups are a bit bland but the rest i really good quality

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    If I'm reading specs correctly, the Deluxe DC comes with Duncan Seth Lovers.
    The current model Deluxe DC is Seth Lovers, but the previous model was DA-59's (Duncan's custom 59 made for D'Angelico). I played that version, a 2017. I'm not sure what's in the Epiphone, it's a 2008 model, if it was Kent Armstrongs I would be really impressed actually. I was assuming it was no-name Epi pickups.

I've been thinking about an Eastman T386 which has Kent Armstrongs and I really like that sound, very mellow and full without losing brightness.

At this point I guess my options are to pull the trigger on the Epiphone at $625 or hang out waiting on an Eastman for $1000-1300. The D'Angelico just isn't as appealing if I'd have to change the pickups to get the sound I'd want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stylo
    The current model Deluxe DC is Seth Lovers, but the previous model was DA-59's (Duncan's custom 59 made for D'Angelico). I played that version, a 2017. I'm not sure what's in the Epiphone, it's a 2008 model, if it was Kent Armstrongs I would be really impressed actually. I was assuming it was no-name Epi pickups.

I've been thinking about an Eastman T386 which has Kent Armstrongs and I really like that sound, very mellow and full without losing brightness.

At this point I guess my options are to pull the trigger on the Epiphone at $625 or hang out waiting on an Eastman for $1000-1300. The D'Angelico just isn't as appealing if I'd have to change the pickups to get the sound I'd want.
    It's very hard to judge guitar tone by videos. That Gregs Guitars guy sounds almost exactly the same in every video, and what you're really hearing there is his amp + his ability to find his particular tone in a broad range of guitars. Anyway, I have an older D'Angelico EX DC (not Deluxe) with the KA pickups. To my ears, it's a fat/mid-rangey sound. I'm happy to tout its virtues, but nothing trumps your own experience. If you prefer the Sheraton based on personal experience, that's your best answer. BTW, keep in mind that the Kent Armstrongs that come standard in a lot of Asian guitars (e.g., Eastmans and D'Angelicos) are the ones made to his specs in Korea by a company called Sky, not the handwound made in USA series. I'm not 100% sure that's what was in MIK Sheratons (perhaps branded as Epi pups), but I'd be surprised if they weren't.

User Info Menu

I think they were called alnico classics, overwound overpotted alnico 2, so muddy. Can be cleared up by lowering a good bit away from the strings