The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 104

User Info Menu

I'm glad they knocked it down a penny to $17,999.99.

Access to this page has been denied.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here:
    Ibanez JPCS8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I'm glad they knocked it down a penny to $17,999.99.

Access to this page has been denied.
    ...and that price reflects a "$6,000 savings"!

User Info Menu

Well, I recently purchased an Ibanez AF95FM with Ibanez hard shell case through the local Craig's List for just a couple hundred dollars and am enjoying it with its comfortable play and fairly decent sound. So this $17,999 Ibanez must be one heck of a guitar.

Tony
    Last edited by tbeltrans; 04-25-2022 at 05:22 PM.

User Info Menu

I missed the first thread about this.

Not only is the price ridiculous, it's butt-ugly too.

User Info Menu

move along
    nothing to see here

User Info Menu

Looks good to me. However, like a luxury sports car, it's to be admired from afar.

User Info Menu

I find this new sapphire red GB 10 SEFM far more interesting
    made in China it will be affordable but need new electronics to really kick ass

k Ibanez "jazz."  Yikes.-aba934a3-f092-42ef-b69c-be0250aa5e30-jpegk Ibanez "jazz."  Yikes.-aa13c599-1f59-4821-9060-59f66daa4fda-jpegk Ibanez "jazz."  Yikes.-8f4c8231-98d3-44dd-b1a3-a5eee86d1e49-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I don't think there's anything "butt-ugly" about that guitar.
    It’s OK, Jim. He must be a neck man

User Info Menu

So I get the one of a kind and hand carved thing raising the price. But why do people assume it’s any better than luthiers who specialize in Archtops already? Who exactly is the luthier or luthiers, and does that lend to a premium price?

I think all of us a society need to reign these type of marketing excesses in. As well as famous Rock Stars possessions. I for one am not impressed by any of it. And why don’t these rock stars donate it like Eddie Van Halen just did to an organization like Mr.Hollands Opus? I’d much rather get back to the Music being the Focus than tools and acquisitions being coveted and shown off!

Sorry my rant is over!

User Info Menu

It's a one-of-a-kind collector's guitar for the 50th anniversary of Ibanez in the states.

They made 50 guitars and basses. This is the only archtop in the series. All of the others are solid bodies. They're all quite nice, but also, they're all priced for the collector's market.

Ibanez Guitars | Celebrating 50 Years Building Guitars

Ibanez Guitars | 50 Guitars

User Info Menu

That’s what I was referring to exactly! Fine to own expensive great things, but there’s a point this has crossed in our society today!
    When things are more valued than people and or their actual accomplishments, that don’t involve $$$$$$$$$$$$$ or mass fame.

When a player as great as Pat Martino or Kenny Burrell needs to have a fundraiser for healthcare. And people spend absurd amounts of money for toys too brag about. Houston we’ve got a Serious Problem!

Again this is my opinion as a 64 years old Professional Musician. And others may have other takes that as valid. I’m just turned off by all you can eat Buffetts, mass collecting, and wannabes!

User Info Menu

Maybe Jim S. but we no longer live in the world of actual music and inspiring great music any longer. The main driver is profit and advertising. Even though that’s always been necessary to be a viable business, it’s way beyond that now.

You and I grew up when music was listening and magical. Now it’s about visual and getting advertisers. We now watch music, and or strictly do workouts to it. The imagination part is mostly gone!

User Info Menu

My problem is that music nowadays is not based in the Blues any longer. That runs the gamut of Ray Charles to Weather Report,or any of Miles many protégés bands.
    And I find no connection that reaches me internally.
    Even Paco de Lucia and Shakti had the Blues!

The newer kids mostly play music on a visual level and don’t dig deep enough. Even when they have stellar technical abilities. So for me it’s okay but it’s not lasting. I’ll keep trying!

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    It’s OK, Jim. He must be a neck man
    I've always been a crazy leg guy, but unfortunately guitars don't have those. Just bodies necks and heads.

User Info Menu

I know that you and I don't see eye to eye on this topic but I just finished plunking down my credit card a few minutes ago for an EP on Bandcamp from by this young woman. It's definitely not about just watching or working out. (And it has the added benefit of my wife liking it as well).

I like that video a lot.

Ambient with a jazz flavor ... or is it jazz with an ambient flavor ... and ... to my ears ... hints of Rick Wakeman

Now I need some Nord keyboards, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    That’s what I was referring to exactly! Fine to own expensive great things, but there’s a point this has crossed in our society today!
    When things are more valued than people and or their actual accomplishments, that don’t involve $$$$$$$$$$$$$ or mass fame.

When a player as great as Pat Martino or Kenny Burrell needs to have a fundraiser for healthcare. And people spend absurd amounts of money for toys too brag about. Houston we’ve got a Serious Problem!

Again this is my opinion as a 64 years old Professional Musician. And others may have other takes that as valid. I’m just turned off by all you can eat Buffetts, mass collecting, and wannabes!

As long as humans are involved there will always be problems ....

There are other ways of looking at this ...

The artisans behind Ibanez guitars were allowed to deliver their best work and use their talent to the max .... rather than just be another cog in the Ibanez machine making the same guitars over and over again

And as Jim says, this will probably pay off in the long run for more great affordable instruments from Ibanez.

User Info Menu

Get a friggin piano for that price.

User Info Menu

Again the sales pitch The Artisans! Who are these Magic Elves without a name firstly, and how much better of an Archtop do they carve than say Mark Campellone for Twice the cost of his top of the line model?

What utter nonsense at best. And marketing BS to sell a guitar! This has nothing to do with reality and everything to do with todays uneducated guitar buying public. At least in the past Gibson had a reality check on their Archtops.

User Info Menu

I'm keen to point out, once again, that there's a host of master luthiers across Europe (Germany, Holland, Czechia, Italy, UK, Finland etc.), with access to premium tone woods (alpine spruce, European maple), who offer carved (assumably by CNC + hand) archtops from 3-4 K upwards. Haven't seen a five-digit price tag yet, unless drowned in abalone.

User Info Menu

Yeah. The price isn't based on the cost of production. It's simply a moron price point. Get a Hammond or grand piano if you want an instrument worth 10k+.

If you want to spend 18k on guitar gear. Get a delux archtop, epic amp, eq, friggin computer, delux interface, and delux mic. You probably still won't hit 18k.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Maybe Jim S. but we no longer live in the world of actual music and inspiring great music any longer. The main driver is profit and advertising. Even though that’s always been necessary to be a viable business, it’s way beyond that now.

You and I grew up when music was listening and magical. Now it’s about visual and getting advertisers. We now watch music, and or strictly do workouts to it. The imagination part is mostly gone!
    There certainly are exceptions to this, but I agree when it comes to "POPULAR" music.

Which is why I don't listen to popular music anymore LOL.

User Info Menu

Why is everyone so hung up on the price of this guitar? They're one of the biggest guitar companies in the world. This guitar is a historic marker for them and they're only trying to sell ONE!
    I'll give you my perspective.

Now- you have to keep in mind, what I am about to say is regarding a SOLID body guitar, not a hollow archtop. Archtops, in general, require more skill... altho I think we've seen how good guitars have gotten in recent years, with computers/CNCs, overseas building, etc.

I recently came into some inheritance money, and I bought one of my bucket list guitars: a PRS DGT. It was $5000 all in. It is a fantastic guitar, and certainly the best out-of-the-box guitar I have ever purchased. It's flawless. It is not worth $5000. No guitar is. I would not have spent $5000 of my own money for it, especially now that I finally own it. Because IMO no solid body guitar (especially one that is cut by CNC machines) is worth $5000. Period. I don't care who makes it. BUT I am glad I bought it, no regrets, and it's also a memento of my parents (both now passed)... they "bought" it for me.

I can see where this price point would need to be raised for a hand-made archtop. I do. But at some point there is a ceiling. I don't care who made it, how old it is, how rare it is... no guitar is objectively worth $xx,xxx. "Worth is in the eye of the beholder", sure... but we are talking about wood and wires here. Certainly a required skillset. But, much like Klons are going for $1000's (stupid), and '59 Bursts for $300,000+... the whole thing is just ridiculous.

When I bought the DGT, I honestly thought "I wonder how many people could be helped with at least $3000 of this money. I (nobody) NEEDS more guitar than $2000 will buy (again- I realize archtops are a little higher). It's just WANT at this point. Vanity." And I am guilty of it. And I am honest enough with myself to admit it. My wife and I also give quite a alot to several charities every year. But seriously- this guitar isn't worth $5000. And that Ibanez isn't worth $18,000. You know what is? The want in some people's minds.

Just my $0.02. Spend all the money you want. Heck, for a brief minute I considered ALSO buying a Collings 470JL (and I might in the future)... and that guitar isn't worth it's cover price either.

User Info Menu

The thuddy, ugly tailpiece on this overpriced Ibanez says “hey, we got bored and just grabbed some crap tailpiece off a used Peerless.”. Oh, and them dee-lux plastic knobs are a nice touch, no?

They didn’t even bother to cleanly align the pickup ring with the end of the fretboard. And the missing truss rod cover is dopey.

That’s an example of their best? Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by northernbreed
    The thuddy, ugly tailpiece on this overpriced Ibanez says “hey, we got bored and just grabbed some crap tailpiece off a used Peerless.”. Oh, and them dee-lux plastic knobs are a nice touch, no?

They didn’t even bother to cleanly align the pickup ring with the end of the fretboard. And the missing truss rod cover is dopey.

That’s an example of their best? Whew.
    Yeah I like the look of the guitar but the external parts do say "cheap."