The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 104 of 104

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply Jimmy blue note and the explanation. And I do come across quite harsh at times and apologies for that.

I guess maybe it’s due to seeing so much demise of such great things I’ve grown up with and feel so heart felt about. The players, the music and the luthiers.
    I guess the good side is there is still a market for great luthiers!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Worth noting is the price of a new Gibson L5 at $12k and those are made every year.

There are other high end archtops prices in the 5 figures.

Seems like the Asia builders don’t get a pass?

User Info Menu

Again it’s not where it was built, but by whom and by experienced carved Archtop luthiers, not laminate builders. Totally different guitars and skill set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    The better upright basses can get over $100K US.

I can believe it. Oftentimes, the high end upright basses, cellos, violas, and violins, aren't even owned (or at the very least bought) by top tier symphonic musicians. They are often bought by patrons of those musicians, who "lend" the instruments to those musicians for however long they wish to play them.

How can musicians afford to buy such expensive violins? | Classical music | The Guardian

I wish I could find the article I read online a few years ago that stated that the cost of guitars was essentially chump change compared to what other high end musical instruments cost.