The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm experimenting with the bridge settings.
    How do you like the sound?

Box

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The sound is fine. You can often improve tone by raising the action, but you quickly reach a point of rapidly diminishing returns. I have no idea what your action was, nor how much higher it was than before the adjustment, so I can't tell if this is any better than lower. I think you need to be the judge of that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The sound is fine. You can often improve tone by raising the action, but you quickly reach a point of rapidly diminishing returns. I have no idea what your action was, nor how much higher it was than before the adjustment, so I can't tell if this is any better than lower. I think you need to be the judge of that.
    The E bass string is 4mm above the 12th fret of the guitar.

User Info Menu

4 mm sounds a lot for playability, although your playing is superb! If the fretboard is buzz-free, lowering the PU should produce a similar tone. But then you'd probably lose something in dynamics.

User Info Menu

Great (and or but) very traditional. A bit like you recorded this before you were born.

As always, I like your playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome
    Great (and or but) very traditional. A bit like you recorded this before you were born.

As always, I like your playing.
    Thanks.
    The height of the strings above the neck of the guitar makes me play more traditionally - that's true.
    The notes are less legato and more separate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    4 mm sounds a lot for playability, although your playing is superb! If the fretboard is buzz-free, lowering the PU should produce a similar tone. But then you'd probably lose something in dynamics.
    Thanks a lot.
    It is more difficult to play chords with the hight action setting.
    I need to work on this.