The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 109 of 109

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    That one really does need some binding work badly done, particularly the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, I agree that the binding on the neck is in need of repair/replacement (there's even an inch or two that appears to be missing!). But, as someone else may have said, one of the top shelf NYC area luthiers like Monteleone or Mirabella might be willing to take on the job. Or, if one wanted to go a little farther afield, Mark Campellone in RI might consider it ...
    The rest of the instrument looks pretty darn good, at least in Buzz's photos.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Topper Roth
    Yes, I agree that the binding on the neck is in need of repair/replacement (there's even an inch or two that appears to be missing!). But, as someone else may have said, one of the top shelf NYC area luthiers like Monteleone or Mirabella might be willing to take on the job. Or, if one wanted to go a little farther afield, Mark Campellone in RI might consider it ...
    The rest of the instrument looks pretty darn good, at least in Buzz's photos.
    I can assure you no one wants to do these repairs. The only person I know is Cris Mirabella. I would love to but need specific training in this art. Binding replacement no one will do… if you find someone please let us know.

User Info Menu

Wow you have a lot of knowledge. How were you able to spot the replaced tuners? They look pretty similar to the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    The 52, 47 and the one in Fla have replaced tuners, the 47 has a set of mid to late 50s Imperials
    as a general rule the late 40s to mid 50s DA's usually have bad binding, pickguards that are typically replaced or need it, but not all
    I've seen plenty of examples from the 30s and 40s w/ perfect orig guards though many have been replaced or need it.
    many late 50s early 60s DAs have ok binding as John was using a newer batch by then.
    some D'Aquistos into the 70s and 80s have bad binding also.

User Info Menu

Hoping to head east in the summer for a shopping trip. I will have to buy something that doesn't need work, as it sounds like binding repair is not on the menu in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper Roth
    OP, you may know this already, but Buzz Levine at Lark Street Music in Teaneck NJ has a 1944 non-cutaway New Yorker, refinished at some point by the builder, for a very reasonable price. In case you make the trip east ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    This guitar was made for Andy Jackson. Jackson at the time played for Blanche Calloway and Her Joy Boys. Blanche was Cab Calloway’s sister and her fame preceded Cab’s. He started out playing banjo for the group like many of the early jazz guitarists. Upon transitioning to the guitar, he initially started out on a Masterbilt Epiphone Broadway and then ordered this D’Angelico. He later joined the Edgar Hayes Orchestra and Quintet, bands which at the time also included the later legendary percussionist Kenny Clarke. I’ve never been able to find out anything about Jackson or the guitar after about 1940. The guitar came into my possession in 2018, so there is a gap of almost 80 years in the guitar’s history.

Wow ! Thanks TRM, that's just too cool !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Wow ! Thanks TRM, that's just too cool !
    The case has his initials “AEJ” handwritten on the side of the top and the case came with some newspaper clippings from the 1930s and a song licensing contract I think with Irving Berlin if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood
    Wow you have a lot of knowledge. How were you able to spot the replaced tuners? They look pretty similar to the originals.
    There's differences if you know what to look for and look closely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood
    Well that is helpful info.

Can someone give me a range for values and real selling prices. I guess the Rudy's guitars are sale-proof. What are legitimate prices?

I purchased a 1959 Excel in near-mint condition - blond cutaway I made a post about a few months ago - from my teacher. I had it appraised from Gruhn (online appraisal with pictures - they did not see it in person) and they said $42k. My assumption is they would, like any business, upcharge it when selling it so maybe it's worth $42k to bjy from me but would list at $50k or so... not sure. Hope that helps.

Link to NGD Thread: NGD: D’Angelico Excel - 1959 Build
    Last edited by timc100; 01-05-2024 at 12:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Tim, that's actually the first piece of solid info I have found on the pricing. PM me what you paid for it if you don't mind. That would be even more helpful than Gruhn's opinion.