The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Caboverde
    That's some insightful forensics there! I see what you mean in terms of the extent of the previous (and poor?) repair. Since the guitar was in a cardboard box with no other padding besides the nylon bag, I don't expect it would have needed that much force to reopen or further spread the repaired cracks.
    I think you can see the original breaks even in your unedited picture.

If you have a small enough mirror (or a bore scope), I’d love to know what the inside looks like, eg do you see glue, cleats, pieces of wood patch, or other evidence of the original repair? Can you see if the breaks that run parallel to the binding extended much further than the current fractures?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I think you can see the original breaks even in your unedited picture.

If you have a small enough mirror (or a bore scope), I’d love to know what the inside looks like, eg do you see glue, cleats, pieces of wood patch, or other evidence of the original repair? Can you see if the breaks that run parallel to the binding extended much further than the current fractures?
    I have a small mirror (no bore scope, unfortunately), and will check when I get home later. The f-holes are quite small though, so I anticipate it will be difficult to see much.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    what does the shipping box looks like, damage wise ?

imprints of forklift tires ?
    Ha! It had some marks on it, but wasn't crushed or anything excessive like that. (still have the box)

Need advice with guitar damaged in transit...-crushed-jpg

So, at the moment, it seems I may be keeping the guitar after all. The seller processed the return and gave me a full refund without me shipping the guitar back to him. eBay closed the claim and I have no access to print a return shipping label. The seller also hasn’t responded to my last few messages. I can understand how it’s an upsetting situation for them, but why ghost me?

With that said, can anyone suggest a reputable luthier/tech in the South Florida area? So far I’ve been recommended the one at Penny Lane Music Emporium and Mitch Weissman (still trying to get his contact info). Besides them two, I’ve contacted the very talented tech at Walt Grace Vintage, but he said this repair would require replacing the entire treble rim and be quite costly (no estimate given, yet).

User Info Menu

I don't what you paid for guitar or what it is worth but I certainly would not replace the rim. I would put it all back in order was best could be done. Then with a series of cleats the rim would be just a strong a it was for sure. A bit of cosmetic thing but not huge to me. On the rims cosmetics not a important and would be a much easier and cheaper repair. While this is nice and cool guitar I don't see it as a big big draw for collectors. If you like the guitar otherwise and it most certainly can be put back structurally to as good as ever then, go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark;[URL="tel:1171196"
    1171196[/URL]]I don't what you paid for guitar or what it is worth but I certainly would not replace the rim. I would put it all back in order was best could be done. Then with a series of cleats the rim would be just a strong a it was for sure. A bit of cosmetic thing but not huge to me. On the rims cosmetics not a important and would be a much easier and cheaper repair. While this is nice and cool guitar I don't see it as a big big draw for collectors. If you like the guitar otherwise and it most certainly can be put back structurally to as good as ever then, go with it.
    Thanks for the reply, deacon Mark. I should also mention that the longer cracks go along the kerfing, which I assumed would make repairs tricker. Is it still possible to cleat along those areas?

Yeah, despite the small ties to D’Angelico, being that it is a laminated body with top mounted pickups, I wouldn’t expect much interest by any collector. The good thing is that the neck and frets feel really nice, and it has a surprisingly sweet acoustic tone (I think the top is carved spruce).

This video is of one similar to mine.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply, deacon Mark. I should also mention that the longer cracks go along the kerfing, which I assumed would make repairs tricker. Is it still possible to cleat along those areas?

Yeah, despite the small ties to D’Angelico, being that it is a laminated body with top mounted pickups, I wouldn’t expect much interest by any collector. The good thing is that the neck and frets feel really nice, and it has a surprisingly sweet acoustic tone (I think the top is carved spruce).

This video is of one similar to mine.

I really do not see the kerfing as effecting the repair. The repair requires that the sides are pulled together along the breaks and get as exactly in place as they can be. Then a series of cleats to hold in all in place. The kerfing to me does not come into play unless they are preventing the sides from coming back together like piecing a puzzle together. This also assumes the top and back are still glued and in place as they should be. The kerfing is not going to add or diminish the structural integrity of the guitar. The strength of the side will be from the the cleats. If I was doing this I would want to make sure I used plenty of small cleats up and down and all around. Glue in place I would use titebond. I would use rock maple cleats and in fact I have pre bent sides all a made up I could cut one and use it for cleats. Since the side is pre bent anything I cut from it potentially could match the bend for a strong hold. My goal if I were doing this it complete structural stability and solid as a rock. This area has zero to do with the tone of the guitar.

In the video the guitar does sound quite nice for sure. I am not found at all of the guy singing but the guitar sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark;[URL="tel:1171211"
    1171211[/URL]]In the video the guitar does sound quite nice for sure. I am not found at all of the guy singing but the guitar sounds great!

Well, to each their own, I guess Glad we could agree on the guitar, at least.

Thanks for your thoughts on a repair solution.

Ok, final update on this—I promise. There was just a misunderstanding with the return process on behalf of the seller; so the guitar will indeed be shipping back to them on their dime. More importantly, I was refunded in full.

Thanks again to all who contributed on this thread and gave me sound advice.
    Last edited by Caboverde; 01-10-2022 at 03:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Since the guitar was in a cardboard box with no other padding besides the nylon bag, I don't expect it would have needed that much force to reopen or further spread the repaired cracks.
    Anyone who shipped a hollowbody guitar like this can't have ever shipped one before. Even shipping a solid body guitar just in a gig bag in a box with no padding is...well...either very inexperienced or just a plain idiot.

User Info Menu

Nope! The seller shipped it in a nylon gigbag within a cardboard box. Not my idea of a securely packaged guitar, but I've heard of worse packing with better outcomes...go figure
    J******* F********** **********!

Well, it's the seller's fault IMHO. I'd return it and demand that he/she pay the return shipping. Shoot, guitars get broken even when shipped in a good hard case with plenty of padding, but this seller didn't give the guitar a chance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    1) Inform the seller of the damaged shipment and send him photos.

2) It’s the sellers responsibility to contact the shipper and inform them of the damage. They in turn will generally send someone out to your place to inspect the damage.

3) You should expect a refund after the seller receives the shipment back. It’s a very simple process, however time consuming.

4) If you paid via PayPal you’ve zero worries about a complete refund. I assume you paid via PayPal?

2b is exactly right. This is not difficult. The guitar did not arrive in the condition it was listed in. It is the seller's responsibility to get the merchandise to you.

I would notify PP and eBay immediately. You have only a small window of time to refuse the shipment, 7 days as I recall. Notifying the seller may not be enough. Just say no to the guitar.

You can help the seller by taking pics of the box from all angles. FedEx for example has a policy that if the box does not show signs of damage, they won't cover damage to the contents. Take a lot of pics of the box including the box "strength" label, usually in red or black stamped on the box by the box maker.

Take pics of the packing material to show it was abundant and adequate.

Shipping without a hard shell case may be a sticking point unless the guitar is wrapped abundantly in bubble wrap.

Good luck.

User Info Menu

Well, I just saw the last couple of posts.

I would have the seller generate the return label and specify how he wants it packed. You don't want to add to the damage and be held liable. If he supplies the return label, he'll have to deal with the shipper for a second claim if needed.

You can ask for a FedEx label and have FedEx pack it for you. That excludes you from liability due to additional damage.

I bought a collectible guitar from eBay years ago. The seller put the guitar in its case and slapped a label on the case. One of the pickups was knocked loose during shipping and scratched the top. I had it repaired by the factory (Heritage) and it looked new when done. But it was a long fight with eBay and PP due to the seller claiming it was properly shipped. What made the difference is that I called the FedEx store in Florida where the guitar originated in transit. It happened to be a small store. The clerk remembered the shipment and told the seller that the guitar should be boxed and padded for safety. That clerk provided that statement to PP. They got me payment for the repairs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I bought a collectible guitar from eBay years ago. The seller put the guitar in its case and slapped a label on the case.
    I would say, come on, this can't be true, but somehow, I believe it is. I can't imagine a guitarist would do such a thing. Must have been an estate sale or something like that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by furtom
    I would say, come on, this can't be true, but somehow, I believe it is. I can't imagine a guitarist would do such a thing. Must have been an estate sale or something like that?
    The guitar I got was the prototype for the Heritage Millennium Eagle 2000. The label indicated it was the prototype and was signed by the Heritage owners. It went to Jay Wolfe's store in Florida. The guy who sold it to me ended up with it somehow. He is a guitarist but not of high moral standing.

The guitar has a carved top and back, an ebony fretboard, abalone inlays, a laminate maple neck and Seth Lovers. Here are two examples of the model. There was a lot of work put into each of these guitars and not that many were made because of the high production costs. The guy was an idiot and didn't care about the buyer (me).

Need advice with guitar damaged in transit...-gallery_2472_317_249489-pngNeed advice with guitar damaged in transit...-heritage-millenium-eagle-2000-limited-edition-luxus-case-13-jpg

User Info Menu

Well, that's crazy. Unheard of, really.

Regardless of what kind of a jerk a person may be, if he loves guitars to the extent that he would have such an instrument, I can't understand how he could do that!

Anyway, I'm glad it was sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass;[URL="tel:1171743"
    1171743[/URL]]The guitar I got was the prototype for the Heritage Millennium Eagle 2000. The label indicated it was the prototype and was signed by the Heritage owners. It went to Jay Wolfe's store in Florida. The guy who sold it to me ended up with it somehow. He is a guitarist but not of high moral standing.

The guitar has a carved top and back, an ebony fretboard, abalone inlays, a laminate maple neck and Seth Lovers. Here are two examples of the model. There was a lot of work put into each of these guitars and not that many were made because of the high production costs. The guy was an idiot and didn't care about the buyer (me).

Need advice with guitar damaged in transit...-gallery_2472_317_249489-pngNeed advice with guitar damaged in transit...-heritage-millenium-eagle-2000-limited-edition-luxus-case-13-jpg
    That guitar is beautiful! Glad you were able to have it repaired by Heritage.

User Info Menu

That guitar is beautiful! Glad you were able to have it repaired by Heritage.
    I owned the top one. That one was never harmed. Foolishly I sold it after a year. It is probably the one guitar I most regret selling.

The bottom one I copied from the internet and have never seen it directly.

The seller I received the broken guitar from was indifferent to the damage. I talked with him a couple of times.

This is way off topic, but here is what the guitar sounds like in the hands of someone who knows what to do with it.

I hope this all works out for you. You had a hopeful plan of a smooth transaction, then this happened!