The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hi!
    Has any Mambo-user tried an extension speaker together with the internal speaker? Any experiences and suggestions which speaker goes well?
    Best,
    lapis

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lapideusvir
    Hi!
    Has any Mambo-user tried an extension speaker together with the internal speaker? Any experiences and suggestions which speaker goes well?
    Best,
    lapis
    Kind of a broad question. Which model do you have? Do you want the extension to be the same size speaker? Is weight/portability an issue? (For home use, or gigging?) Do you care if they look good together?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Kind of a broad question. Which model do you have? Do you want the extension to be the same size speaker? Is weight/portability an issue? (For home use, or gigging?) Do you care if they look good together?
    Sorry, purpose is to get more dispersion in the room or/and be able to alter the sound only running an external speaker or together with the 12". RE NY8 comes to my mind for this purpose. I have a 12" wedge.

User Info Menu

This is kinda subjective...

I think the Eminence that comes with it is a bit flatter than your typical guitar speaker, with highs that roll off a bit earlier.

Using the same speaker would provide the most consistent sound. You could get the extension cab from Mambo, they are reasonably priced.

Other speakers with subdued top end would be something like Celestion A Type, Eminence Lil Buddy, Jensen Neo 15 (not sure these are made anymore).

Oh, a slight problem you'll have to deal with is that the Mambo amp puts out 400W so you won't be able to use most guitar speakers unless you do multiple or run higher impedance.

Would be cool to try some bass neo speakers, these tend to be higher powered and similar frequency respose curve.

Quote Originally Posted by burchyk
    This is kinda subjective...

I think the Eminence that comes with it is a bit flatter than your typical guitar speaker, with highs that roll off a bit earlier.

Using the same speaker would provide the most consistent sound. You could get the extension cab from Mambo, they are reasonably priced.

Other speakers with subdued top end would be something like Celestion A Type, Eminence Lil Buddy, Jensen Neo 15 (not sure these are made anymore).

Oh, a slight problem you'll have to deal with is that the Mambo amp puts out 400W so you won't be able to use most guitar speakers unless you do multiple or run higher impedance.

Would be cool to try some bass neo speakers, these tend to be higher powered and similar frequency respose curve.
    Thanks a lot! So there is much to experiment (different speakers and how they match sonically).
    Anyone uses the extension option? Just curious about any experiences.

User Info Menu

Yes; it adds a lot of bass and around 6 decibels in volume, depending on the speaker. I have used 10" beta 10 speakers and 12" Altecs. This was on the later 200/ 400w model, with extension speaker socket, and which will run into 2 x 8 ohm speakers. This model mambo puts out 200w into 8 ohms and 400w into 4 ohms, so speaker choice is limited by the power rating.

Worth noting that the older 180W models only work safely into a total of 8 ohms. I don't recall them being fitted with an ext speaker socket anyway.

User Info Menu

+1 on the Eminence Neo, at that power rating you are looking at a KappaLite which will handle 400wt. It’s a “bass” speaker but sold as a pro reinforcement speaker. Has a nice rounded top end missing the little top end up lift over 2500Hz most EVM 12 imitators have.
    Issue over here (US) is the neodymium base materials are on vacation in container ships off LA. Eminence is out of the DeltaLite neos, no date for resuming production.
    I put a DeltaPro 15” into Polytone, (2010 vintage) almost Heaven.
    jk

User Info Menu

Tech people, please chime in: the Mambo combo is 200W with the 8 Ohm speaker, and another 200W with an 8 Ohm extension speaker (total 400W @ 4 Ohms); the extension speaker "should" be able to handle 200W (even though few people will ever play that loudly!), but not the full "400W," right?

WGS, by the way, makes a great 200W guitar speaker!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Tech people, please chime in: the Mambo combo is 200W with the 8 Ohm speaker, and another 200W with an 8 Ohm extension speaker (total 400W @ 4 Ohms); the extension speaker "should" be able to handle 200W (even though few people will ever play that loudly!), but not the full "400W," right?

WGS, by the way, makes a great 200W guitar speaker!
    I'm not exactly a tech person, but you are right. Each 8 ohm speaker in an extension set-up will need to be able to handle 200w rms IF the set-up is played at full blast.

That said, in normal jazz usage, you would never come anyway near that RMS power level. Even a 335 would be feeding back uncontrollably, well before then. Adding an extension speaker increases sound pressure level by 6 decibels, which would be the equivalent of putting 800w into one 8 ohm speaker ( which of course isn't possible, but you get the idea). Increasing any given output by x 2 adds 3 decibels, whilst acoustic coupling between the 2 speakers adds another " free" 3 decibels. As well as being louder with an ext cab., there are other acoustic benefits which I won't bore you with here.

" Acoustic coupling" explains why a Super Reverb amp with 4 x 10" speakers and only 40W is a very loud amp.

User Info Menu

I have used my Mambo 8 in combination with a RE Stealth 10, didn't like the result. I found that the controls are impossible to set to the needs of two different speakers at the same time. I find it much more beneficial to use the Mambo either in combination with an AER combo or the AI Clarus driving the Stealth 10.

User Info Menu

Yes, mixing 8" and 10" speakers doesn't work very well; the 8" Beta in a mambo 8 is significantly less efficient than the 10" Beta in a stealth 10. However you can get good resiults with an 8" ext cab.