The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I wanted to share this here. I recently bought a TK Smith Floating pickup from a member here on the forum. For fun I slapped it on my 28 L5 and recorded a chorus of "My Sugar Is So Refined". I have 80/20 strings on it and just by raising the pole pieces I was able to balance the volume perfectly. This pickup has a really awesome tone. It's mounted with wall putty on this guitar, but I'm thinking about having it mounted onto a pickguard bc I'm still a little apprehensive about putting putty on the almost 100 year old nitro.

Last edited by omphalopsychos; 12-27-2021 at 09:38 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow! Those TK Smiths have such a distinctive old-timey tone...especially in that sweet elderly L5! Thanks for the clip.

User Info Menu

Wow, sounds great!

User Info Menu

It's probably me, but I don't see a floater on the website. Cheers

He doesn’t list the floating pickup on his website but you can send him an email to order one.

User Info Menu

You know if you do figure out how to actually mount it "floating", I'm gonna have to get one, right? Sounds great.

That sounds so great. I cant actually see the pickup in your video, is that his CC type pickup, a C.A.R. type or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Elvis
    That sounds so great. I cant actually see the pickup in your video, is that his CC type pickup, a C.A.R. type or something else?

TK Smith has a floating pickup that is not listed on his online shop but you can order it from him via email at tk@tksmith.net

It's similar to his CC/CAR design but it is designed to "float" above the guitar rather than to be installed in a cavity cut into the top of the guitar.

Here are some more demos.