The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

My little group played a fundraiser for a local businessman—raising money for a local community college. It was held in the airplane hanger where he keeps his plane. He used to have a Lear Jet…he was a pretty successful guy, owned a bunch of grocery stores in the area, then took up flying big time after he retired fairly early. He got rid of the Lear Jet as he got older, and now just has a restored vintage Cessna.

Anyway, I took my ES 175, along with my Fishman Artist, which normally gives a pretty good sound and can be loud as heck.

I had a hard time getting the sound I liked. It was too thin and plinky. I had the bass setting at about 9 o’clock, mid at 12 o’clock and treble at 2, although I turned it down as the evening went on. I also had the midrange filter turned to get rid of the low hum from the bass strings. Gain and master were at 12 o’clock, my guitar was about 8, with a bit of the treble turned down. Neck pickup of course. And the reverb at 9 o’clock.

It is obviously a large, echoey space. I imagine it would be hard to get a good sound there even under the best of circumstances. Does anyone have any suggestions for adjusting the settings for such a space? Sorry no recordings. It was a lot of Christmas songs, something we in the band don’t like to hear again anyway LOL.

The audience and band members who went out into the audience said that the sound was good though. Maybe it was just the fact that I wasn’t able to hear the sound from my amp well, set about 5 feet behind and to the left of me on a short riser.
    Attached Images Attached Images Amp settings for big open space-945017b4-de7d-439c-a5d7-54aebf71334a-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Actual open spaces are easy, since they have no reflections and usually the sound is great.

Spaces like the one you played though, big, square and unoccupied, can be the worst, full of reflections and reverb. Many times you just can't do anything about the sound, and just go through the gig.

I pay attention to where I place the amp, make sure I can hear it well and can easily reach it in case I need to adjust something. Also play with no reverb if the place has lots of it already.

User Info Menu

A faux wall or corner behind the amp enhances the basses.

User Info Menu

Congrats on having a gig!
    This is a good time for your normal amp mic'd to a PA.

User Info Menu

My duo was hired by the City to play a Winter Festival. The location is the Fairgrounds, and we are playing inside the Expo building-not sure of the square footage however it's a large structure. Last Saturday was the first round, then this Wends/Thurs. Pay is great and it's 10 minutes from my house.
    I posted a while back that I had purchased a EV Evolve 30M array system. I was a bit concerned about covering the venue with "just" that, so I brought along my Alto powered speakers and stands as insurance and left them in the truck.
    Well, you needen't. I decided to go with the EV only, and it covered the event very well. We had many complements on the sound and the promoter said it was perfect for the show.
    I admit I was hesitant to go with this type of system, but I'm a convert. I did use my Pisano 880 instead of my Benedetto Cremona. Plugged straight into guitar channel with some tweeking I got a very convincing, warm, round tone. Oh yeah-and control the whole mix on your phone without stooping and twiddling via Bluetooth.
    I'm in!

User Info Menu

Looks/sounds like a fun gig. VERY COOL YELLOW PLANE! I like to start with a very scooped sound and work from there, either adding mid or cutting high or low. Of course, if you have one of the newer inexpensive wireless units, you can walk out and test it.

User Info Menu

I've spent a fair amount of time in hangars just like that, but I never tried to play music in them. They're about as bad as it's possible to get, acoustically. Sometimes it's hard to understand someone talking just a few feet away. At least it has fiberglass on some of the walls, to partially muffle the sound and keep some heat in. The doors are hopeless, though, for both purposes. On the upside, the audience, if you want to call the attendees, that, is not there to listen to you. They're there for free booze and to work on business deals. They wouldn't know great jazz tone from the sound of the airplane engine. You were there, provided listenable background noise, and hopefully didn't do anything to embarrass the host or any of the audience. You can't hope for much more than that. Pass go, collect your check, and hope for another opportunity.

User Info Menu

I take a Twin with a 15 for big spaces I'm unsure of.

User Info Menu

Two thoughts.

One is put the amp on the floor instead of a riser. That audibly increases the bass in some cases.

The only thing I've noticed about echoey spaces is that loud bands tend to sound worse than quieter bands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    The only thing I've noticed about echoey spaces is that loud bands tend to sound worse than quieter bands.
    That's because you can almost hear them.

User Info Menu

The hangar is an example of what used to be called a Butler building, after the company in Butler, PA, that popularized the design.

I have played many gyms and fire departments that have that same open concept.

Sound issues are often exacerbated by the big, concrete slab floor.

Play without reverb...the venue will provide plenty. Otherwise, set the amp neutral. 5,5,5 or thereabouts.

User Info Menu

One thing I suggest for any space if there is time for a sound check while people set up and warm up is to use a looper so you can walk around and check out the sound in the space for yourself.

User Info Menu

Give up and go "shoe-gaze" with your music.

User Info Menu

And bring the effects and 2 amps!