The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 249

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Most of the headstock binding, while tedious, is rather straightforward. But binding that volute is something I wouldn't even think about attempting.
    Right - forming the bindings is a little tricky in general - the plastic has to be softened for tighter bends like the peghead crown - I use a heat gun - too much heat and the plastic just flops like cooked spaghetti and you have to start over with a new piece - I've made forms to shape the binding strips once they're softened - bending in two dimensions isn't so bad, but doing compound bends in three dimensions is more difficult - I've tried making forms for it, but have yet to come up with a method that's fool proof, so it's still a somewhat nerve racking job.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    Dumb question here; but could you have some 3D printed in an appropriate material?
    Hmmm - hadn't thought of that - a good idea, but I know nothing about 3D printing so not sure how practical it would be.

Almost another great guitar

The new Campellone Cameo begins-c7160b62-d5d4-4ed6-a7ad-cd097cea9e2b-jpegThe new Campellone Cameo begins-3b0dce5b-c640-49a8-95ab-2f228bc0ba78-jpegThe new Campellone Cameo begins-c3b344b6-8453-4491-a86f-c3fe86d88920-jpeg

User Info Menu

The images of the instrument "in the white" really highlight the immaculate craftsmanship involved. Truly the work of a Master!

Wait till their is some color on that quilt. POP !

User Info Menu

Killer back, Is that a birdseye neck?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Killer back, Is that a birdseye neck?
    Yes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    Dumb question here; but could you have some 3D printed in an appropriate material?
    You can 3d print in ABS, and this would not be a difficult shape or size. That said, prints come off the plate with distinct layer lines (looks a bit like corduroy). It can be smoothed by fuming in ammonia, but by then you’ve put in so much time and equipment I doubt it would be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

What he said…

?Big

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    The images of the instrument "in the white" really highlight the immaculate craftsmanship involved. Truly the work of a Master!

User Info Menu

I have no idea where I am on Mark's list but, "What color?" is something I think about every day. All of the options are gorgeous and the bursts are perfect.

The new batch

The new Campellone Cameo begins-057135d5-6db5-4344-82b8-b84175c6ae8b-jpegThe new Campellone Cameo begins-4115a658-4f4c-4699-afc7-b15c9e1d26c4-jpeg

Note the L5 and S400 at the end.

User Info Menu

Lined up like the Radio City Rockettes waiting to get dressed for their performance, all very beautiful, in the flesh!
    Oooo La La!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    First things that caught my eye! Two of these things are not quite like the others, and yet....

Modularity is one of my fascinations: this photo is a perfect exemplar. All those perfect f-holes in a line - luscious!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    You can 3d print in ABS, and this would not be a difficult shape or size. That said, prints come off the plate with distinct layer lines (looks a bit like corduroy). It can be smoothed by fuming in ammonia, but by then you’ve put in so much time and equipment I doubt it would be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks for that info - I figured it would be more complicated than it was worth - I'll just continue to tackle the bindings the old fashioned way : )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Was the L5 refinished? I dig the single humbucker DeLuxe!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Was the L5 refinished? I dig the single humbucker DeLuxe!
    It is a restoration guitar for a fellow forum member. L7 body, JS top, Campellone neck, L5 fingerboard.
    I will let the forum member explain more.

The S400 Mark bought with a broken headstock that he will restore to full glory.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I look forward to seeing this box sitting in a row on the rack with its siblings as it progresses to completion. Those photos are always fun for what they reveal.
    It would appear that the cat is out of the bag.

Cleaning up one of the bunkers, the question arose of what one does with a pile of NOS Gibson parts and a '52 L-7P body with a
    smashed-up top, all gathering dust for the past 30 years. Bonfire? Wall decoration? Hat rack? Diorama? Put them together into a functional guitar?

Having sorted out an answer, the next step was to find the right archtop maker to fixerate the whole thing. Not a difficult choice. I always thought an L-5 with Johnny Smith f-holes would be cool, and it does seem to be working out nicely. In fact, it's looking pretty $%^*& wicked pissah.
    Attached Images Attached Images The new Campellone Cameo begins-campellone-gibl7p-24-neck-body-front-jpeg The new Campellone Cameo begins-campellone-gibl7p-25-neck-body-back-jpeg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-16-2022 at 07:33 PM.

User Info Menu

...and, to the subject of this thread, as shown in the family pix above, this new Campellone Cameo is ... 16" wide, unlike its older siblings.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=jim777;1185103]I have no idea where I am on Mark's list but, "What color?" is something I think about every day. All of the options are gorgeous and the bursts are perfect.[

I feel sure that Mark can give you an idea of your position on the waiting list f you ask.;whichever finish or colour that you decide upon will be good. In the unlikely event that you do not like it, there is a line around the block itching to wrest it from you, LOL; if it's any reassurance , I have just one Campellone ( but boast six Gibsons , a Borys etc) ;yet the fit and finish of the Campellone , is the best, bar none.

User Info Menu

This whole thread is taking the sheer breathtaking beauty of fine archtop guitars to a whole new level. And not by ornate, fancy, "bling," but with splendid woods, immaculate craft, and meticulous care.

I will never have another archtop unless I can have a Campellone. Freezing my "stable" against any increase until I can add a Campy.

User Info Menu

Guys, you're killin' me with all these gorgeous pics!! It's hard on my ticker. I have a Heritage Standard Eagle Classic on order. I'm in a trade deal for my custom Bourgeois Vintage D dreadnaught (torified Brazilian rosewood back and sides) for the Heritage. However, true to form, Heritage raised the price on the Eagle Standard Classic $500 since I ordered it. That ALWAYS happens to me. Perhaps the dealer will cut me sort of a break...I don't know?

I decided to order the "standard order" Heritage because I'm 72 y/o and, well, I think you understand. At 72 y/o you just never know how much time you're going to have remaining to enjoy a new guitar. That's why I'm not likely to order a custom shop Heritage. Although, I'm in good health...as far as I know. And I do have some longevity in my immediate family.

OTOH, I'm not sure how long it's going to take to get a new standard production Heritage??? I've had it on order for a couple months already. No word on it's status. Heritage has "temporarily" shut down their custom shop with no indication how long it will be before they open up again. They just say, "soon." That was about 4 months ago. That's another reason I ordered a standard production model. But I don't have the slightest clue how long it will take to get one. Even if I ordered a custom shop version it wouldn't be all that much "custom shop." Maybe some fret markers, a different color sunburst finish, a different tailpiece? I actually like the understated appointments on the standard production model. So I don't have a strong preference either way. Well, back to waiting...
    Last edited by jumpnblues; 03-12-2022 at 12:31 PM.

User Info Menu

I LOVE the stinger at the end of the fretboard. IMHO, an added touch of class.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    It would appear that the cat is out of the bag.

Cleaning up one of the bunkers, the question arose of what one does with a pile of NOS Gibson parts and a '52 L-7P with a
    smashed-up top, all gathering dust for the past 30 years. Bonfire? Wall decoration? Hat rack? Diorama? Put them together into a functional guitar?

Having sorted out an answer, the next step was to find the right archtop maker to fixerate the whole thing. Not a difficult choice. I always thought an L-5 with Johnny Smith f-holes would be cool, and it does seem to be working out nicely. In fact, it's looking pretty $%^*& wicked pissah.
    Absolutely beautiful HT. You must be thrilled with anticipation! Look at that back!!!

User Info Menu

Heritage raised the price of your guitar after you ordered? That doesn't seem right.