The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

Me...well...three. I have a problem i think..ya its kinda overkill..not sure i need the Bud 10 now that i have the Forte and the Bud Six.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

None.

User Info Menu

One . Bud 6. Awesome. Thinking about a Bud 10.

User Info Menu

I have two, a Blu 6 and a Blu 10. I am covered.

User Info Menu

Stringswinger has 2 instead of 3 because he sold me one: a two channel head that sounds great. Thanks again, Stringswinger!

User Info Menu

6, 10, 12. I like the 10 the best but the 312 I have has monster bass.
    It scares my Twin Reverb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    Me...well...three. I have a problem i think..ya its kinda overkill..not sure i need the Bud 10 now that i have the Forte and the Bud Six
    Give me your 10. I will pay for shipping.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    None.
    Also none. What's so great about these?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Also none. What's so great about these?
    Obtain one and that question shall be answered.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    Me...well...three. I have a problem i think..ya its kinda overkill..not sure i need the Bud 10 now that i have the Forte and the Bud Six
    Nice trio!

I just saw my first Forte in action at a jazz jam the other week -- sounded great (and the owner was really good, too, which helps!). We chatted about the amp, and he really enjoys it; too bad Henriksen stopped making them.

User Info Menu

I recall reading a message at the height of the pandemic regarding the closing of Henriksen Amps. Hopefully, that hasn't come to pass.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

"Due to extremely high demand, please allow 5-7 business days before orders ship." (A banner from Henriksen's website.)

Henriksen went through a troubled period over a year ago but appears to be in good health again. At one point they stopped deliveries to resellers, doing direct business only. Now, some vendors in Europe are restocked with Buds and Blus.

My foray into ultralight amplification started in 2007 with one of Europe's first Henriksens, a Convertible. I currently don't have any as they don't offer truly compact heads to match my own cabs. Several Toobs and Metros are in use as extension cabs to Henriksens, however. Swedish-Norwegian troubadour Robert Vennström is a prime example, with three of each. He sings praise to the amps, and to Henriksen's customer service.

It surprises me that there still can be active jazz guitarists wondering if the current Henriksens are any good. As far as I know, sales of traditional guitar amps/cabs/combos have been on a declining trend since ca. 2010. Q2 2020 into Q1 2021 was a disastrous period, thanks to the pandemic. The ultra-light end of the scale is the only growing subsegment, with Henriksen and Quilter doing a great job here. Fender reacting with Tone Masters. With live performances concentrating on smaller venues and more and more venues equipped with decent PA systems, a small rig is all you need for the "amp in the room" feeling. Nothing new, actually. Jeff Beck has used a Fender Pro JR on-stage for much of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Nice trio!

I just saw my first Forte in action at a jazz jam the other week -- sounded great (and the owner was really good, too, which helps!). We chatted about the amp, and he really enjoys it; too bad Henriksen stopped making them.
    Ya the Forte is a great amp..i bought it when he was doing that sale during the pandemic where they were like 40% off or something..i just used it the other day with a quartet and my Sadowsky and a few pedals...was killin.

I just got the Bud Six...i used to have the original BUD the one with the heat sink fins on the back..I sold it to get the Bud 10. I used the bud six on a solo gig last week and it was great and LIGHT..i think this one is lighter than the original BUD!. i think the class D amp maybe contributes to that? anyway it sounds great.

User Info Menu

Yes, the amp section was changed to a Class D IcePower power supply/power amp module around 2018. Amp makers are obviously reticent about this, claiming uniqueness, but you will find Ice Power technology inside at least Raezer's Edge, probably many other brands. I've seen a post claiming that even Fender's ToneMasters are ICE powered.

User Info Menu

I have the older Bud 6 and the matching The Ray extension cabinet.

User Info Menu

I have a Jazz Amp. Like it a lot. Moving away from tube amps because of their crankiness. No worries with the Henriksen.

User Info Menu

I have two older models that I still really like: Jazzamp 110 and a Jazzamp Head with a matching 1x12.

User Info Menu

I would have one if I didn't have my Quilter MicroPro 2/ Raezor's Edge Stealth 10 rig.

By the way, this amp sounds great through a 15" closed bass cabinet by Carvin.

I play bass with a guitarist who uses a Bud. I can't get over how good it sounds.

User Info Menu

Hard to find here.

As a consequence I have None. And have never seen one for sale here either.
    I know of 1 online mob on the other side of the country that will bring in Quilter.
    Fender Tonemaster- seen a dozen already. In any of the usual locations to find Fender kit.
    Hell its eve hard to find a DV mark Jazz anymore.
    AER seem to have good representation though.

I don't doubt that they are good amps. But its fair to ask what is so great if you cannot experience them to benchmark against your unique needs.
    Its like buying blind sight unseen. I would not buy a guitar or pedal blind. Its just too expensive of a risk to make.

I think the question here would not be an indication of the Amps quality, but more a reflection on its accessibility.

If I could try audition one I might even flip my AER for it.

Cheers
    E_M

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EastwoodMike
    Hard to find here.

As a consequence I have None. And have never seen one for sale here either.
    I know of 1 online mob on the other side of the country that will bring in Quilter.
    Fender Tonemaster- seen a dozen already. In any of the usual locations to find Fender kit.
    Hell its eve hard to find a DV mark Jazz anymore.
    AER seem to have good representation though.

I don't doubt that they are good amps. But its fair to ask what is so great if you cannot experience them to benchmark against your unique needs.
    Its like buying blind sight unseen. I would not buy a guitar or pedal blind. Its just too expensive of a risk to make.

I think the question here would not be an indication of the Amps quality, but more a reflection on its accessibility.

If I could try audition one I might even flip my AER for it.

Cheers
    E_M
    Yes, I've become aware of the limited distribution of some of these products. I think we're a bit spoiled in our choices here, but it's a good problem. From what I've heard with my own ears, live, the AER is in the top tier of amps. Everyone has to decide how much they are willing to invest, and in how many amps, but for me I am happy with one great bass amp (Mesa D800) and one great guitar amp (Quilter MicroPro 2 head). But I like reading about other players choices and opinions, too. It's part of my enjoyment of my specialized interests.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Nice trio!

Any thoughts on why they stopped making the Forte?

I have two Henriksens: Blu 6 and Sound Island's (Michael Biller's) demo "Alfresco" which has the older 310 electronics in a 12" open back cabinet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Any thoughts on why they stopped making the Forte?

I have two Henriksens: Blu 6 and Sound Island's (Michael Biller's) demo "Alfresco" which has the older 310 electronics in a 12" open back cabinet.
    Hey CoolV!
    I asked before, and they actually said they were "pausing" to make it "better," but that was a while ago, and it hasn't returned .... Your two amps are great, and could probably handle most gigs, right?!

Marc

User Info Menu

Zero but will take one of anyone's hands who has too many

User Info Menu

I have one, a Henriksen Blu that I was very lucky to find on Craigslist about this time last year. The seller had bought the amp and a new Peerless guitar as a pandemic purchase figuring that he was confined to his apartment and would have lots of time to play. That didn't work out for him so he posted the gear on Craigslist and for the price he was asking I couldn't resist buying the amp even though I had recently bought a new amp. Needless to say I kept the Blu and sold the other amp.

Re the Blu, there is another thread recently posted on the Forum for fans of Jocelyn Gould and the most recent post is a video of her trio playing live at the Burt in Edmonton. If you check out the video you'll hear some great guitar playing and it's hard not to notice that Jocelyn is playing through a Henriksen Blu, which you can see in the pic if you don't want to listen.