The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a Fender JMUL with matching speaker cab that I bought second hand.

What did these sell for originally?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I thought it was originally $850.00 or $750.00. I am sorry that I can't remember. I am thinking that it was $750.00 for head and cab.

User Info Menu

I wanna say the head was $799.

User Info Menu

I bought the head and cab new when it was available and agree with the above in that I recall around $750-$850 for head plus 1x12 cabinet. Miss the head alot. Not the cab though.

I was looking through the manual the other day and saw that the head could be used with 4 and 8 ohm cabs. For years I thought you could only use 2 ohm cabs, or in other words, the Fender Ultralight cab. I guess that is why the unit came with a Speakon to 1/4” cable. I thought that running a higher load might be related to the power supply problems that afflicted these amps but the manual suggests otherwise.

I have an Ear Candy with an 8” Eminence Beta in it that I must fire up one of these days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    I was looking through the manual the other day and saw that the head could be used with 4 and 8 ohm cabs. For years I thought you could only use 2 ohm cabs, or in other words, the Fender Ultralight cab. I guess that is why the unit came with a Speakon to 1/4” cable. I thought that running a higher load might be related to the power supply problems that afflicted these amps but the manual suggests otherwise.

I have an Ear Candy with an 8” Eminence Beta in it that I must fire up one of these days.
    Yea, it was weird the way they went with 2 ohm optimal load. Thing is, the output power gets reduced going from 2 to 4 to 8 ohm. That said, it still had good headroom and power.

User Info Menu

thinking it shouldn’t be too much of an issue with 250 watt power. And higher impedance would put less pressure on the amp, as I understand things. Suspect the reliability issue might be the other way round - a 2 Ohm standard cabinet sucking too much power from a small head? Wondering about putting one through an 8 Ohm lunchbox speaker for a good toy town stack…

Quote Originally Posted by monkmiles
    Yea, it was weird the way they went with 2 ohm optimal load. Thing is, the output power gets reduced going from 2 to 4 to 8 ohm. That said, it still had good headroom and power.

User Info Menu

Now that we have, once more, lassoed in people with actual experience of the amp in question, what did it sound like? Weight apart, how good was it, actually? We have the tube amp diehards, Polytone diehards and many others who don't think much of the contemporary amp offering. Fact, nostalgia or degenerated hearing? It beats my reason that when everything else is advancing, guitar amplification should be moving in the opposite direction.

User Info Menu

I think the guiding principle for many jazz guitarists is that Things Ain’t What They Used to Be.

In fact I was talking myself into buying one of these - no experience of it as yet. But I was successful so can report back soon, I hope.

This other thread seems to support my theory that it’s the 2-ohm speaker causing reliability complaints. So I may replace it if I get that problem.
    Jazzmaster Ultralight Speaker Question | Telecaster Guitar Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Now that we have, once more, lassoed in people with actual experience of the amp in question, what did it sound like? Weight apart, how good was it, actually? We have the tube amp diehards, Polytone diehards and many others who don't think much of the contemporary amp offering. Fact, nostalgia or degenerated hearing? It beats my reason that when everything else is advancing, guitar amplification should be moving in the opposite direction.