The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 58 of 58

User Info Menu

Those StroboFlips look nice but a bit bulky (nowadays); hardly smaller than the "big" desktop version in fact. I cannot really tell from the videos I watched if it shows the current error in cents.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB;[URL="tel:1189410"
    1189410[/URL]]Those StroboFlips look nice but a bit bulky (nowadays); hardly smaller than the "big" desktop version in fact. I cannot really tell from the videos I watched if it shows the current error in cents.
    Not even close in size or weight. Doesn’t display difference in cents—why would I need this on a gig?

Edit: I misread this as StroboClip. The ‘Flip is bulky, but does fold up into a dense cube for transport.

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; 03-30-2022 at 01:27 PM.

User Info Menu

I use the polytune clip on stage. Tune open, then the G and b get tuned again at 7 and 8th frets respectively. I’ve been going to blues jams and I have checked my tuning mid song with the clip on. Turned out the band was playing a slow major blues when I was expecting a slow minor blues. Live and learn.

Ok I got my Petersen Strobe DH clip on yesterday. Wow this is really nice and a no brainer for getting the note dead on and not a needle bobbing up and down. I put it on a few of my guitars to see where things were based on it and checked intonation at 12th fret. My guitars all with ebony saddles not tunomatics are pretty much right on the money for intonation. This tuner read the 49 Dangelico much better than my needle quartz. I posted earlier this guitar seems to register differences on the Seiko quartz but the Petersen captured the note and finally confirmed what my ear basically heard. This is by far the best tuners I have used and really for $65 with tax and shipping money well spent.

User Info Menu

I like the Polytune Clip-On on-stage. I always take a second as back-up to gigs, although I've never needed it. For me it's a more pleasing looking object than the Peterson and the practical differences are too minor to matter.

User Info Menu

Hey all, I've got two things to throw in:

1. People tend to dog Snarks and the like for their performance degrading... but it's not the tuner is shite... the batteries are just too low. Not dead, just too low to function as well. And there's an easy fix: buy 2032 batteries in bulk and carry extras. This pack is ~$.025 /per battery: Sorry! Something went wrong! - and then you've got one that works as good as new for $.25. (the links totally work despite saying "something went wrong")

2. The reason I stopped using a Snark (or other large clip-on tuner) is because I was sick of every photo of me from a gig being dominated by them. I'm not fancy enough to regularly get pro photos done, so I depend on random gig photos to be useful, and having this big thing clamped on the headstock kinda messed up a lot of photos I could've otherwise used. Sure it's vain and dumb, but it's also totally real.

So, I ended up changing over to these D'Addario Micro Headstock tuners - great performance and a way lower profile. So low that I just leave them on all the time, even in a gig bag. They're ~$20/each, or 2 for $37 here: Sorry! Something went wrong! - again, same goes for these with the batteries. Whenever they seem like they're not registering properly, just change the battery... et voila... good as new.

For context... considering I play acoustic into a clip-on mic most of the time on a gig, a pedalboard tuner would not be that useful. And I've also got the Peterson App on my phone for doing adjustments at home.

And for anybody "snark"-illy suggesting a tuning folk... sure, try that on a noisy gig with background music going between your sets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    So, I ended up changing over to these D'Addario Micro Headstock tuners - great performance and a way lower profile. So low that I just leave them on all the time, even in a gig bag.
    If that's the one I'm thinking of (that can hide behind the nut) you get the added (period-correct) effect that it looks like you're tuning by ear

User Info Menu

I like the D'Addario Clip-Free tuner. I have one on 3 or 4 of my guitars. It mounts to the rear of the headstock using a mounting screw for one of the tuning machines. It comes with its own screws of a couple of different thread pitches, because the original screws are too short to hold securely, with the Clip-Free in place. It's about the same price as the clip-on micro, same size, but it's completely out of sight behind the headstock, and always in place ready to tune. Sweetwater, MF, and GC all carry them. And yeah, it looks like you're tuning by ear, no visible tuner at all from the front, and not that obvious from the back.